News   Apr 25, 2024
 125     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

VIA Rail

I think VIA could stand to offload a few destinations. And by that I mean there must be some way of turning London into a regional hub with GO service. Regular GO bus service from Sarnia to London may well prove more beneficial than VIA train service. From there, they can board VIA. Take the Hamilton-Niagara Falls branch off VIA too. Leave it to GO. Windsor-London-KW-Guelph-Pearson-Toronto should be one regular and frequent line. And then Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City as another service.

Two points: first, is there anything official from VIA itself or any media report that the Havelock route and restoring the tracks along this former CP Rail Subdivision is even being considered? Or is it just speculation/rumour?

The statement came from Transport Action Canada. I may not agree with everything they write, but in my experience they do rely on credible sources. I doubt they would make this statement without a source.

I didn't realize there was an issue at Coteau or even where it was so here's a Google map as a reference of the location. Would a rail-over-rail grade separation be needed?

When VIA announced its triple tracking capital program, changes at Coteau were one of the projects shown on the VIA website. I don't know if this work was undertaken or not. But I'm very skeptical about what CN is said to be asking for at the current time. Coteau is a lesser junction and the volume of interchange traffic here isn't enormous. It is possible that CN wants to perform block-swapping here, instead of yarding trains in Montreal. Or perhaps, as their freight trains have lengthened, the switching that does happen here conflicts more often with through passenger traffic than it used to. Neither case is something VIA should pay for - CN's freight business is the beneficiary.

Here's the original VIA project statement from 2011

- Paul

Attachments

• map-coteau.pdf
    549 KB · Views: 329
I think VIA could stand to offload a few destinations. And by that I mean there must be some way of turning London into a regional hub with GO service.
Given the gradual Ontario incremental progress towards high speed trains on the London-Kitchener-Toronto corridor, it could be high speed GO trains instead (by 2030s-2040s).

Not mutually exclusive with VIA, which could serve the intercity market (ala Eurostar) while GO serves the commuter market (ala France TGV). The long bilevel TGV trainsets are literally France's equivalent of GO trains!

Uh, no. TGV trains are long distance, high speed trains. Toronto-Montreal would be a SNCF TGV market, not a GO market.

You might be thinking of TER - Transport express régional, which are electric, conventional, often bilevel trains that's part of the SNCF network and often funded by and operated for regional governments. When I went to Chartres from Paris, I took a TER Centre train.

Uh, no. TGV trains are long distance, high speed trains. Toronto-Montreal would be a SNCF TGV market, not a GO market.

You might be thinking of TER - Transport express régional, which are electric, conventional, often bilevel trains that's part of the SNCF network and often funded by and operated for regional governments. When I went to Chartres from Paris, I took a TER Centre train.
Surely one would consider high speed commuter rail, similar to what is done in Europe (and Korea ... probably elsewhere too I'd think, but I'm not familiar with it).

For example, the British Rail Class 395 locomotives used on commuter services in England between Kent and St. Pancras, running at up to 225 km/hr.

I've been a supporter of GO creating a new 'class' of commuter rail, one that focuses on the far-flung regions as opposed to the core of the GTHA. I'm talking current destinations like Barrie, Niagara Falls, and Kitchener. GO RER will provide the opportunity for that stratification, since the difference in vehicle type used will be clear.

Basically, the system would be a hybrid between the current GO service and VIA service, with lines extending to Niagara Falls, London (via both Brantford and Kitchener), Barrie, Peterborough, and possibly as far east as Kingston. This would allow VIA to drop their milk run service on The Corridor (and drop their Niagara Falls service all together), and focus on the express inter-regional trips which make up the bulk of their ridership. This would also work well as VIA transitions to HSR.

As a side note, I would incorporate a modified version of the Northlander into this system as well, since I think if it's packaged along with the Southern Ontario lines it has a better chance of success.

There are many classes of trains in France, and yes, there are instances where high speed (TGV) trains can serve commuter markets. But most commuters don't take TGVs. Paris, for example, is served by (in order of speed, distance usually traveled, and stop spacing) the Metro, RER, Transilien, TER, Intercités, and TGV.

Yes, I've been wanting a GO/VIA hybrid for years, serving intermediate markets. GO trains are not suited for long-distance travel; they aren't smooth, the quad seating not very comfortable, the amenities too basic.

Toronto-Niagara, Toronto-Kitchener-Stratford, Toronto-Belleville-Kingston, Toronto-London, etc. would be well served. As I mentioned above, SNCF has many brands to cover its train services (it operates part of the RER, even!), from regional rail to high speed intercity. Something in between GO and VIA is appropriate.

I've been a supporter of GO creating a new 'class' of commuter rail, one that focuses on the far-flung regions as opposed to the core of the GTHA. I'm talking current destinations like Barrie, Niagara Falls, and Kitchener. GO RER will provide the opportunity for that stratification, since the difference in vehicle type used will be clear.

I am too. It makes sense to have this network, and clearly VIA isn't interested or is too constrained by the Federal 'mandate' (read, bureaucracy) to give this a shot. Put it with ML as a provincial infrastructure asset.

I would add regional services to Huntsville and Parry Sound. There may be a market for people living at the cottage year round (a very sizable number) who need to spend a day or two a week in Toronto for business or whatever. The abandonment of the Barrie-Orillia section of the Newmarket Sub has always struck me as a tragedy, as it competes directly with a very well used Highway 400. There must be people who would ride a good train service rather than making that drive or bus ride, especially in winter.

Service to North Bay and beyond, and perhaps from Sudbury to the Soo, is not beyond imagination. But I think we have to see what happens with Ontario Northland first. The traditional crown agency is not sustainable. The transformation going on up there is ugly (and a bit brutal) but change was needed and wasn't happening. We will have to see if a short line owner emerges, or if it is bought by CN or CP. Keeping that line up to passenger standards is beyond a freight operator, but the price tag might change with a new owner.

- Paul

Actually:
What I was thinking of a scenario whereupon electrified RER extended to Kitchener is the allday allstop service, and the high speed GO trains is what replaces the diesel expresses.

You are certainly right it could feel like a GO/VIA hybrid. No dispute there. More commuter-feeling than VIA, but less-subway-feeling than GO. But possibly being an Ontario-funded Metrolinx operated service...

Instead of SmartTrack, RER, diesel GO trains, UPX, you've got only two train services on the Kitchener corridor by the 2040s: RER and HSR. With a mostly four-tracked corridor (except small sections, like 3 tracks in certain areas) and already-solved freight bottleneck (i.e. Freight Bypass successfully proceeds, boosted by Federal -- or successful Brampton corridor widening), you've got the necessary express and allstop tracks to make allday RER+HSR service work. Things would drag and be drawn out long enough that UPX could conveniently go EOL (End-of-Life) into electric RER, and its ultimate 'express' replacement is the HSR to London (and the airport/Woodbine is just a mere stop, and not a raison d'etre -- thus mooting the white elephant factor).

Right now is certainly not the right time to introduce this yet, but in progressive densification, better transit in London/Kitchener, and on an incremental Long March perspective (With both London/Kitchener well-developed enough), it appears to make a lot of sense, IMHO. That said, I don't think HSR should extend to Windsor, as that's really way too low density.

Instead of HSR, it could very easily instead be High Performance Rail (halfway between RER and HSR). Just like many of the European commuter trains, too.

The line between HSR and HPR is somewhat blurred as the London-Kitchener-Pearson-Toronto route (with occasional less-express high performance trains also stopping at a few select extra destinations, like a once-a-day or twice-a-day Brampton stop, as a political quid pro quo in exchange for sending high speed trains through Brampton).

Given it being initially the only HSR/HPR service on a starter segment of upgraded rail -- obviously it would have to capture both the commuter market and the intercity market, to succeed initially at first. Some TGV routes are definitely very well-filled with commuters (they get crowded at peak), especially on routes that have destination distances matching the London-Kitchener-Toronto profile. The Paris-Lyon route is predominantly filled with those double-decker TGV Duplex trains at peak, filled with lots of commuters.

On certain routes for TGV, taking a catching the train during a weekday peak, it DOES feels like a high speed GO train -- standees too! Assuming you got one of those unassigned tickets, took a peak train, with no seat assignment.

Many tourists buy first class tickets or assigned-seating tickets, sit in those nicer 3-abreast coaches, and travel offpeak; and have not witnessed TGV peak-period unassigned fare in plain 4-abreast coach seating with the aisle full of standees... This is distinctly a the feel of a GO train moment for TGV;

While GO is still very homogenous here, TGV is comparatively all over the map in Paris, with single-decker and double-decker trains, of various models, trains that feel luxurious, to peak-period commuter-optimized TGV trains that feels closer to a GO train...

Later on, when it made sense, further HSR extensions can occur instead of 401 widenings. Both incredibly expensive options, and I'd totally lean HSR or HPR sufficiently fast that a full-connection trip (transit-HSR/HPR-transit) can compete with a drive. I do see LKPT (London-Kitchener-Pearson-Toronto) HSR being more economically viable sooner than TKOM HSR (Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa-Montreal), even if as an Ottawan I'd prefer TKOM HSR.

It may not be called "high speed GO trains". But it would obviously be more commuter-optimized than VIA; and very possibly operated as a Metrolinx service. Thus, that's why I call whatever HSR/HPR occurs to London eventually funded by Ontario, calling them "High Speed GO trains", because that's the closest match of what rail-based beast it really is.

For now, that's my placeholder name, "High Speed GO trains" -- because too many Canadians thinks HSR is probably a VIA-only service towards Ottawa and "something you take instead of an airplane" -- when HSR needs a larger commuter contingent to be worth the while.

I'm really talking from a "Long March" perspective -- one-plus generation away -- given appropriate densification, EOL-ing of existing services (UPX), and appropriate transit improvements within corridor cities.

The corridor, transit-improvement, intensification, and political pressure seems already aligned in this direction - for HSR/HPR to occur in the Kitchen corridor to happen approximately one generation away (2015->2035ish).

Based on your prior posts here, my belief is we're practically in mostly agreement here, with the exception of semantics and details (whether they are called as "High Speed GO trains" or not, funding priorities, timing, "HSR" versus "HPR", etc). Right?

Obviously, not mutually exclusive with VIA and Metrolinx services running on the same corridor, but it is very possible that an Ontario-operated HSR (defacto Metrolinx/defacto high speed GO trains, perhaps under a new brand) could happen before VIA-operated HSR, depending on how politics go...

Last edited:
Neither case is something VIA should pay for - CN's freight business is the beneficiary.
In which case either the work doesn't happen and CN makes do and VIA gets no extra movements, or CN does some of the work themselves and still doesn't give VIA any extra movements because they own the line.

Then what? And before you or someone else say "WE GRABS THEIR LINE WE HAZ THE MONEYZ AND THE POWERZ" consider how much of the rest of VIA's system runs on CN trackage.

In which case either the work doesn't happen and CN makes do and VIA gets no extra movements, or CN does some of the work themselves and still doesn't give VIA any extra movements because they own the line.

Then what? And before you or someone else say "WE GRABS THEIR LINE WE HAZ THE MONEYZ AND THE POWERZ" consider how much of the rest of VIA's system runs on CN trackage.

"Then what" should be a negotiation with some reasonable balance of negotiating power between the two parties. That often implies the potential that a third party might be asked to weigh in, using some objective criteria that are based in law. Like, in a VIA Rail Canada Act perhaps.

In this case - I can see VIA paying for some of the improvements, such as moving the crossovers so there is more headroom for freight switching, and maybe part of the cost of creating a third track for freights to do their work from without blocking either of the main line tracks. The part of the proposal that takes a yard of x car capacity and replaces it with a yard of x+200 car capacity is not VIA's problem.

VIA should not have to fetch shrubberies to get reasonable cooperation from the host railways.

- Paul

I've been a supporter of GO creating a new 'class' of commuter rail ...
Why would GO have anything to do with commuter rail? Even in the 1970s when CP and CN service was transferred to GO, they never took most of the remaining (later abandoned) commuter runs that CN and CP still ran - some continued into the 1980s.

Via's mandate is national. Commuter service is at best a provincial jurisdiction, and perhaps should be regional.

Why would GO have anything to do with commuter rail? Even in the 1970s when CP and CN service was transferred to GO, they never took most of the remaining (later abandoned) commuter runs that CN and CP still ran - some continued into the 1980s.

Via's mandate is national. Commuter service is at best a provincial jurisdiction, and perhaps should be regional.

Because:

a) It isn't the 1980s anymore. GO didn't take those routes because it was focused on serving the GTA, not the Greater Golden Horseshoe or beyond. It had limited funding and limited resources, so it concentrated on its core market. But the scope has widened, especially with Metrolinx now at the helm with the goal of regional transit planning across the GGH. It's well within their mandate to provide that kind of service now.

b) Via is going to be transitioning more towards HSR service, or at least HSR-like service in that it no longer services the small communities in between major stops (ex: Belleville). Metrolinx, as a Provincial agency, is well equipped to step in and fill that gap. GO, the regional transit delivery mechanism that Metrolinx already has in place, is the logical company to run it.

Ideally, I'd like to see 4 levels of rapid/regional transit in the GGH:
  • Local Rapid Transit (Subway, LRT, BRT): Run by either the local transit agency, or eventually Metrolinx
  • GO RER: Run by Metrolinx
  • GO+ (Regional rail to serve GGH and Ontario markets beyond the RER service area): Run by Metrolinx
  • Via HSR or enhanced rail (serving only major markets)

Because:

a) It isn't the 1980s anymore. GO didn't take those routes because it was focused on serving the GTA, not the Greater Golden Horseshoe or beyond. It had limited funding and limited resources, so it concentrated on its core market. But the scope has widened, especially with Metrolinx now at the helm with the goal of regional transit planning across the GGH. It's well within their mandate to provide that kind of service now.

You make it sound like GO wanted to expand, but couldn't. The truth is that GO's mandate meant that it didn't care about anything outside of the GTA. That's why in 1982 they took two VIA routes (Barrie and Stouffville), but left a third (Peterborough), as the Peterborough service was more of a long-distance service and felt to be not worth saving.

And even today, that's still the case. It's not like they look at a route such as Sarnia to London and sigh wistfully, wishing "if only we had the money..." The truth is that it's simply so far off of their radar that to suggest that they take it over is laughable.

b) Via is going to be transitioning more towards HSR service, or at least HSR-like service in that it no longer services the small communities in between major stops (ex: Belleville). Metrolinx, as a Provincial agency, is well equipped to step in and fill that gap.

Based on what, exactly? Did you miss all of the comments from VIA saying that their main growth potential in the near future is going to be to and from the small communities? Places like Belleville, which don't warrant tons of flights to Toronto or Montreal?

GO, the regional transit delivery mechanism that Metrolinx already has in place, is the logical company to run it.

Is it? It wasn't for the airport express. It wasn't for the farecard system. What you are suggesting is just as foreign to commuter service as those two are.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back