News   Apr 25, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 918     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 950     0 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

What's planned for 16 York?

Looking at College Park, I wouldn't want to go through Ryerson to go to Eaton Centre.

I was thinking the same thing, samsonyuen. I work at College Park, and as much as I'd like to see it connected to the PATH, I would never use this unless it was -30 or a full-blown blizzard. It will be great for Ryerson students though, of course.

I wonder if the MaRS Centre is connected, if the Ontario Government tunnels could be connected to the PATH? There might be too many security issues these days for this to happen though, and the cost of revamping it might be too great. It would, however, be a step closer to connecting PATH and the "mini-PATH" along Bloor.

I argree that the college park (where I pretty much live) is poorly planned connection. Given that the Delta Chelsea is so eager to join PATH, it is unfortunate that the property owners and planners cannot find a more direct way to connect the Atrium on Bay to the Delta Chelsea and then to College Park. A Ryerson PATH loop could be connected at both Gerrard and Dundas to complete the area's connection.

Also, it would be interesting if future expansions considered linking PATH from this area (Atrium/Ryerson/College Park) to the Hospital Network - including TGH, Children's Hospital and the ones across University. From there, it might be very easy to connnect PATH to MARS and Queens Park Subway station/U of T gateway. That would seem like a more complete system to me.

Looking at the south, the mess of the new system spanning from Union to MLS and lower Simcoe/York Sts boggles the mind. Since Union is the hub for all this it makes sense to have many tunnels spanning from the hub but the map, as is, seems to isolate the lower convention centre. That seems odd to me since it is essentially an entirely underground complex already connected to PATH.

i love taking my friends into the PATH. they always wonder how i get around that place, with all those twists and turns around stores and food courts.

my only words of advice is to actually take an hour or two and walk around the system to familiarize yourself with it. after 2 or 3 times going down there, you'll remember certain landmarks for yourself, like a unique store or food court, and you'll be fine after that.

is the part under the BA done????

Some said it was and others said its u/c...

I'm looking forward to the Bay-Adelaide PATH connections because The Bay closes around 9pm on weekdays, cutting underground traffic off between Richmond and the Queen subway / Eaton Centre. That was frustrating when classes at Ryerson ran late and it was too cold to walk to Union to catch the GO Train. The Bay has to close because the Path travels through a level of their retail store, which they can't exactly cordon off and leave abandoned overnight like the rest of the Path. Hopefully there'll be some way to bypass The Bay.

I think there used to be a temporary connection between The Bay and Scotia Plaza under the stump before B/A construction started.

The PATH is open through the Bay on Queen Street in the early mornings before the store opens every day. They rope off the store, obviously, and I've never heard of any problems of people grabbing stuff and running. This problem won't cease once Bay Adelaide opens either, since the PATH would be connecting Scotia Plaza to the south to the Bay to the North. It'll be pivotal for them to install something more permanent to keep that path open whenever the PATH is open.

Path Connections

Bay-Adelaide: Partially connected now, you can access the parking area from inside the Bay store.

Bay Store: I've been through at 10pm on a Sunday night. Are you sure they locked it before 2am? My understanding is they can't legally cut off any part of the path during subway hours. When I was in there they just had little retail gates that closed around the merchandise.

Hospital District: All the major hospitals are already connected underground. Mt. Sinai, Sick Kids, TGH, at any rate, and I think Princess Marg. as well.

But the tunnels aren't really up to 'Path' standards they are currently, in most cases for staff and patients (in transport) only.

Connection from Atrium to College Park.

Delta Chelsea is obvious as point one, but I've never been below their ground level, is it usable now? Or is it just parking?

The missing link is the World's Biggest Bookstore site.

Its an eyesore anyways, time for it to go.

Then maybe Chapters will get off their ass and building the REAL world's biggest bookstore (which last I checked is Barnes & Noble in New York with 450,000 titles, (3x what WBB carries)

the Indigo at the Eaton centre is quite big and quite busy.

I think you can easily open another massive book store downtown...

Then maybe Chapters will get off their ass and building the REAL world's biggest bookstore (which last I checked is Barnes & Noble in New York with 450,000 titles, (3x what WBB carries)

That might be the one I was in over 30 years ago -- I was 12 years old at the time, and don't recall the name of the store, but it was in New Jersey as I recall. WAY bigger than the so-called 'World's Biggest Bookstore'.

Bill

I like how the RBC Centre is listed as Proposed Simcoe Place II on the Star map.

Someone asked earlier-- but I believe the Delta Chelsea is pretty much just parking underground. Maybe somehow they could hook it up to PATH though? A great hotel, if brash on the outside... awesome place.

It would do wonders if the Delta Chelsea spent some cash upgrading the exterior. Not that the company really has any reason to do so, but the building is just so ugly. Perhaps they could just retrofit the balconies on Gerrard to be glass instead of paneling. Reclad the exposed brick to be something other than that sad grey. Or maybe they could put some lights or other form of lumination along the building's edges and roof to frame it. I don't care how but just do something. Anything will do. Egging the place would make it look better then it is right now.

But you're right, its a good place inside. Just so aweful on the outside.

Back