News   Apr 19, 2024
 566     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 614     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

Why in the world would a tourist want to go to PATH? What's there of interest besides endless Starbucks, Second Cups and other retail chains?

Eh, it's almost like asking what's so interesting about such and such buildings or a painting...

Not everywhere in the world has something like the PATH. Sure many has undergrounds...but not this big. I have friends from US, when we visited Montreal, one loved the underground, cause it's different for him. Other friends have not been here, but they are very curious about the PATH cause they've never seen it before.

Funny that I should find a PATH thread revived when I myself, was just thanking the PATH gods the other day for their subterranean route of salvation. I was caught in the rain (rain in January - yea, global warming definitely doesn't exist-:rolleyes:)and low and behold, there was a PATH entrance close by. Needless to say, I got from City Hall to Union without getting wet and thats something to be proud of.

The Globe article is interesting, and it sums up my feelings about the PATH network very well, it's functional but disorientating. I can only think of once in the past 20 or so years where I felt the need to find something in there or use it. A few years ago I navigated through there in an attempt to find a new Krispy Kreme outlet. I came out feeling frustrated and had to nurse a bad headache afterward. That experience reminded me of why I avoid it.

I'm not anti-PATH or anything, it is unique and it serves it's purpose well for those who work & commute downtown plus it's handy in inclement weather. That said, I don't see how or why this should be promoted to tourists. Some may find it worth exploring but I can't see many people coming away from it too awfully impressed.

Much better things happen above ground here.

I totally agree with dt, don't much like the PATH but if I were visiting Toronto I would definitely want a nip down there, not expecting much. Sort of like going into the RiverWalk thingie in New Orleans, or the Tempozan Marketplace on Osaka's waterfront. Dart in, verify it's essentially mall-like-character, maybe a snap, dart out again into the sunlight.

Inexplicably, I'm always excited when it's expanded.

I'd love to own one of the metallic PATH maps though. They seem very hard to steal, what with being attached in four places and lots of cameras around.

Montreal's relentless marketing of RESO is really quite strange to me...especially for a city with some pretty decent actual attractions.

The initial proposal by Metrolinx to redevelop the GO Bus Station behind the Dominion Building on Front Street will see this acting as a PATH link between Union Station, the Dominion Building and the new GO Transit HQ planned for the SE corner of Esplanade. This new GO building will share a parking garage with the L Tower / Sony Centre so PATH will reach there too. Personally I do not like the PATH and, as noted above, the stores there are very repetitive but it is SOMETIMES useful. Occasional users need better signage though - I'm always getting lost!

Montreal's relentless marketing of RESO is really quite strange to me...especially for a city with some pretty decent actual attractions.

The only thing RESO has going for itself is that it actually makes connections between a a series of good shopping complexes that are actually open weekends - Halles de la Cathedrale/La Baie, Place Montreal Trust, Simons, Alliance Industrialle, Centre Eaton, Cours Mont-Royal. PATH links the Eaton Centre/Bay (basically the equivalent of all these smaller shopping centres in Montreal in one larger complex) with the office tower weekday retail.

While PATH is a better network, RESO acts more like a tourist attraction.

This hatred for the PATH is absolutely ridiculous. The PATH is awesome. It's like a second layer of streets under the city. It's a fantastic and inviting feature. I don't care that the stores are complete ass. It's a convenient transportation network. It's a great way to escape from the elements (and smokers).

You could leave your house in a robe and slippers, board a GO train, then travel all over the financial district underground. The only time you spent outside was the 30 seconds through the parking lot at the train station. It'll be even better for residents with direct access to the PATH.

Having eight food courts within 5 minutes of each other without even having to throw on a coat is neat, even if they're mostly repetitive asian, sub, burrito, and burger chains.

Getting lost is such a non-issue I don't know why they spent so much time on it. For every disoriented person, there are ten others who have spent half their lives down there. Why is it a problem to stop and ask someone for directions? People are surprisingly friendly in this city. :mad:

I agree, the PATH is awesome. However, the signage provided for navigation totally sucks. The problem with having to rely on asking for directions, is that most tourists [and Torontonians who are not familiar with PATH] will need to ask directions multiple times just to get from the Eaton Center to Union Station.

The signage down there is absolutely useless when it comes to providing directions for points past a short distance. Considering that Union Station is a major destination point for people using the PATH, they should at least have Union Station listed on ALL the signage in the PATH system.

This hatred for the PATH is absolutely ridiculous. The PATH is awesome. It's like a second layer of streets under the city. It's a fantastic and inviting feature. I don't care that the stores are complete ass. It's a convenient transportation network. It's a great way to escape from the elements (and smokers).

ehhh, there's been more boredom than contempt registered for PATH here...

You could leave your house in a robe and slippers, board a GO train, then travel all over the financial district underground. The only time you spent outside was the 30 seconds through the parking lot at the train station. It'll be even better for residents with direct access to the PATH.

Hopefully for those navigating PATH in a robe and slippers there will soon be a psychiatric care facility connected up.

Having eight food courts within 5 minutes of each other without even having to throw on a coat is neat, even if they're mostly repetitive asian, sub, burrito, and burger chains.

The point of the repetition down here, whether it's food or goods retailing, is so that the office workers above can quickly slip away from work during the 9 to 5, take care of a few errands, and head back up an elevator again. That kind of usage does not encourage destination retail. We would need a major attraction added right in the middle of it all, and/or a large number of condo towers connected up and interspersed between the office towers to effect any significant change in the retail patterns in the system.

Getting lost is such a non-issue I don't know why they spent so much time on it. For every disoriented person, there are ten others who have spent half their lives down there. Why is it a problem to stop and ask someone for directions? People are surprisingly friendly in this city. :mad:

Oh, they have to have something to complain about...

The point of the repetition down here, whether it's food or goods retailing, is so that the office workers above can quickly slip away from work during the 9 to 5, take care of a few errands, and head back up an elevator again. That kind of usage does not encourage destination retail. We would need a major attraction added right in the middle of it all, and/or a large number of condo towers connected up and interspersed between the office towers to effect any significant change in the retail patterns in the system.
Exactly, so complaints about the PATH's status as an enormous "shopping mall" are misguided. It's an insincere marketing ploy for tourism, if anything.

Oh, they have to have something to complain about...
I guess the spirit of exploration is dead in most people, because getting lost in the PATH is downright fun. Yes, the signage and directions are piss-poor, but that's hardly a reason to avoid using it. Anyone with an IQ higher than that of mustard can navigate the system.

I echo the poster who stated how great PATH is for getting to-and-fro without facing some of winter's bleakness. Just last week I was able to get from my house to Roy Thompson Hall mostly indoors by joining PATH at the Eaton Centre. I could have easily taken the subway but we wanted to walk it.

And after hours the PATH is fun to run around – it is like a huge maze. Sure it can be disorienting to people who have never used it or don't know their way around but I think that is part of the attraction. Mind you, it is the attraction to PATH users, not PATH visitors. I don't see how PATH can be marketed as a tourist destination. But as has been said above me, if I were to visit Toronto for the first time I'd probably think it was cool and want to experience it for a little bit.

Far too often we on this board complain (rightfully so) about the lack of true landmarks or compelling/useful infrastructure advancements in our city. And notwithstanding the inadequacies of the TTC, GO or Metrolinx and irregardless of the sometimes mundane architecture, PATH actually stands up as a legitimate accomplishment for Toronto.

I am not, however, offering any commentary on the value of said accomplishment. I’ll leave that to some of the clever word-smiths on this board.

Anyone with an IQ higher than that of mustard can navigate the system.

From this thread:

Everyone is being forced to use the PATH through the area which is leading Tracey Moore to "be like the people" and she's been recruited to find her way around. And as usual, she's overexaggerating every little bit of it. There's no way it takes 10 minutes, unless you're completely stupid, to walk from Union to the TD Centre.

10 minutes? There's no way that could take more than 5 minutes -- and that's if you take itty-bitty little steps like somebody's great-great-grandmother. I cannot see how anybody could have the slightest difficulty finding their way from Union to the TD Centre unless they are Toronto's own village idiot.

It turns out she's just an idiot. She took the Royal York PATH connection out of Union Station, and got lost getting to the Royal Bank Centre and then up to TD.

99% of people exiting Union Station from the GO won't even be in the vicinity of the Royal York exit. No one is that idiotic.

Well. She is.

Bill

*Anyone* exploring PATH for the first time (unless they've been memorizing maps and office tower names) is guaranteed to be subject to moments of confusion and backtracking, if not get outright lost and be forced to surface.

*Anyone* exploring PATH for the first time (unless they've been memorizing maps and office tower names) is guaranteed to be subject to moments of confusion and backtracking, if not get outright lost and be forced to surface.

Especially if they are going from Union's GO concourse to the ACC. That part is extremely mystifying. :cool:

Back