Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
^^You might want to be careful about that electoral landslide victory, because if the census were held today its likely that the redistricting would mean Obama would have as much as 10-11 fewer electoral votes because of population shifts. Its something that worries me about long term political outlook in the US, because the red states are still pretty red despite Obama's win.

The inauguration went off pretty well IMO, despite the entire oath of office slip ups.

I hope that Obama can change policy in a positive direction, but I will not put too much faith in anything until it happens. His health care stances on whitehouse.gov are a carbon copy of his campaign web site, and I'm hopeful those stances will change in time. His plan currently calls for "strengthening employer health care" as opposed to creating Medicare for all.

^^You might want to be careful about that electoral landslide victory, because if the census were held today its likely that the redistricting would mean Obama would have as much as 10-11 fewer electoral votes because of population shifts. Its something that worries me about long term political outlook in the US, because the red states are still pretty red despite Obama's win.

In a funny way, re Texas (where the bulk of the electoral vote gains are slated), I'd say: "who knows"--things have hitherto been somewhat skewed by a "native son" president, and the Latino share of the vote is only destined to get higher. Should Obamania reinforce itself in 2012 and the Republicans nominate neither a Texan nor a Bush, I can see even Texas joining the party...

That is a LOT of people!! They estimate about 1.5 milllion. Could that be a new record?? As for the actual ceremony, his speech was good, he had to assure people that these are tough economic times. He did mess up the beginning of his oath, but I personally think that may not be a bad thing, because it shows that he is a human who can make mistakes and be nervous. I mean just imagine, with half the world watching you, what would you do??

anybody notice this guy?

388-Obama_Inauguration.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Dr. Strangelove, no?

http://video.google.com/videosearch...sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

Anyone have any thoughts on the whole inauguration extravaganza?

So many people! I was quite surprised by his shout-out to atheists during the speech. That was pretty cool. :)

They do love their pomp and circumstance down there. Is it always this much of a celebration, with the concerts and parades and balls, or is it just extra crazy this time because it's Obama?

What happens here when we get a new PM?

Is it always this much of a celebration, with the concerts and parades and balls, or is it just extra crazy this time because it's Obama?

The Parade and balls are a tradition. The amount of media coverage is because of the historic nature of the inauguration. George Bush's last one had 300,000 people versus the reported 1.7 million for Obama.

He did mess up the beginning of his oath, but I personally think that may not be a bad thing, because it shows that he is a human who can make mistakes and be nervous. I mean just imagine, with half the world watching you, what would you do??

Actually, the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, John Roberts, was the one who messed up, not Obama.

If the mess-up while reciting the oath is the biggest mistake of his presidency, then I say bring him on.

If you look closely you'll see that it was the guy administering the oath who screwed up, not Obama. Obama's knowing smile gives it away.

now the question is, since a black guy is president, are all the suburban white teens gonna wanna be president too?

Actually, the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, John Roberts, was the one who messed up, not Obama.

hey, give the guy a break. he could have been doing a centrifuge test at NASA the day before.

Genie_jeannie6.jpg
Official_roberts_CJ.jpg

Back