• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
George Carlin will be very missed.

he lives on in the comedians and people he inspired. i don't know if anyone will ever be able to beat his comedy.

You wouldn't vote for Obama, then?

of course i'd vote for him. i believe he is the best for the job, unlike mccain.

how would "you are not bigoted because you wouldn't vote for a person who publicly displays irrational views" mean that i wouldn't vote for obama? all it means is if i didn't vote for him because of his religious views, i wouldn't be a bigot.

i wouldn't vote for palin because of her religious views, or mccain.

obama's religious views, i can handle for now. especially because his intellect is what stands out the most.

South Africa is 80% black.

The U.S. is 80% white.

I know, and they overcame apartheid and elected him in the 90's. They passed civil rights for gay marriage in 2006.

Amazing that things happen in the world that don't happen first in America.

Although, during Census 2000, which is now getting a little outdated, America was in fact 75% white, not 80% white.
Source: http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t1/tables/tab03.txt

Please be aware that doesn't take hispanics into consideration, it lops all "white hispanics" in with white and "black hispanics" in with black groups.

The number of caucasians in America is actually now, in 2009, below 70% overall I woulid say, given immigration patterns.

So roughly 3.5 to 4 out of every 10 people in America is non-white. But we will have to see Census 2010 to get the actual numbers these days.

Last edited:
It really wouldn't be great if the first minority president did a horrible job, because there probably wouldn't be another one in our lifetimes.

It's great that America (well, a slim majority of America) was able to vote for a black man, but I'm skeptical about how capable he is. He was a freshman senator who came onto the stage by giving a speech..and since then he's been...giving speeches. I don't feel anything when I hear all this empty "yes we can, hope, change, hope" stuff. It may make people feel good but that isn't really what a country facing troubles needs.

Maybe I'm just naturally a skeptic but I have a bad feeling about all of this.

I certainly understand your scepticism.

There's this near expectation that Obama will be able to pull off miracles. However, the war, the state of the economy, growing unemployment, the ever-bloating American debt - all of these things are huge problems that he will have to deal with in some way. On the one hand, it's hard to see how his administration will manage all of these things so as to satisfy everyone. On the other hand, he has no where else to go but up.

The media coverage is almost at lunatic levels as well. In a few months, the novelty will probably have worn off and Obama will be a president in office during rough economic times. He will be increasingly be judged on his actions rather than the quality of his speeches.

Anyone have any thoughts on the whole inauguration extravaganza?

it's huge!

that part where he got out and starting walking, contrary to the plans kinda made me nervous.

Last edited:
He was a freshman senator who came onto the stage by giving a speech..and since then he's been...giving speeches. I don't feel anything when I hear all this empty "yes we can, hope, change, hope" stuff. It may make people feel good but that isn't really what a country facing troubles needs.

Maybe I'm just naturally a skeptic but I have a bad feeling about all of this.

The fact that he was but a freshman senator who managed to secure the highest office in the world says a great deal about the man in and of itself, no? Look, obviously time will tell but W Bush came with a massive pedigree and where did that get the USA?

On face value Obama seems like an eloquent, intelligent and calm/collected individual, moderate rather than dogmatic, conciliatory rather than partisan. His rhetoric promises a change of approach from the Bush administration and that's encouragement enough for me. People have to check their expectations though. He is not the messiah. I think his speech today, with a clearly deliberately measured and sobre tone, struck the right note. This also says a great deal about him, imo.

anybody notice this guy?

388-Obama_Inauguration.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

It's great that America (well, a slim majority of America)

Considering the closeness of the previous two elections I think its safe to say he got a strong majority.

Considering the closeness of the previous two elections I think its safe to say he got a strong majority.

Hell, the majority voted for Gore. The electoral college has some well known stupidities, but that Obama won a landslide (electoral) in a a system that favors rural and Midwestern whites is pretty damn impressive.

Back