Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
With 3 weeks to go, here is my official projection for how the 2008 US Presidential Election will turn out.

election08projection.gif

I'm placing no bets or money on the table, but this is how I think the electoral map is shaping up.

I was pretty close, wouldn't you say? ;)

I think Obama's main task tomorrow will be managing expectations. He has to get rid of the idea that his touch will turn the economy into gold and everything will become better. Realistically, I think it would be impressive if the economy was back on track by the next election.

Exactly. Those THREE MILLION people who gave him $$$ want something for their investment.

America better finally get a few basics like universal health, sane foreign policy, and at least attempt to respect the UN and international policy.

Man, they really must have practiced for this speech. Obama's got a new kind of power to his delivery.

I was pretty close, wouldn't you say? ;)

With North Carolina and Indiana still to close to call. I hear people cheering on the streets outside my building.

I really like how people ended up in front of the White House to celebrate. Are they keeping Bush up tonight?

Little did I know that when I started this thread topic in September 2007 that we'd be seeing such an amazing Presidential race. I think the the world just had a great sigh of relief that the days of Bush and his far right movement is almost over.

It's interesting how all over the world, democracies are throwing out their far right parties, or rejecting their push for further power. We've seen this recently in Australia, and here in Canada with Harper's denial of a majority so desperately wanted by his hardcore base, and now in the USA.

I may be conservatively minded on some issues, but I'll be glad when these folks are out of the White House.

I wonder what Condie will do now? I think Peter McKay is still single :)

Nice prediction Brandon! Pretty damn close!

I certainly know the streets will seem a lot happier in the morning than after the 04 election.

Obama sweeps to victory as first black president

Obama sweeps to victory as first black president
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama swept to victory as the nation's first black president Tuesday night in an electoral college landslide that overcame racial barriers as old as America itself. "Change has come," he declared to a huge throng of cheering supporters.

The son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas, the Democratic senator from Illinois sealed his historic triumph by defeating Republican Sen. John McCain in a string of wins in hard-fought battleground states — Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Iowa and more.

On a night for Democrats to savor, they not only elected Obama the nation's 44th president but padded their majorities in the House and Senate, and come January will control both the White House and Congress for the first time since 1994.

Obama's election capped a meteoric rise — from mere state senator to president-elect in four years.

In his first speech as victor, Obama catalogued the challenges ahead. "The greatest of a lifetime," he said, "two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century."

He added, "There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as president, and we know that government can't solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face."

McCain called his former rival to concede defeat — and the end of his own 10-year quest for the White House. "The American people have spoken, and spoken clearly," McCain told disappointed supporters in Arizona.

President Bush added his congratulations from the White House.

In his speech, Obama invoked the words of Lincoln and echoed John F. Kennedy.

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder," he said.

He and his running mate, Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, will take their oaths of office as president and vice president on Jan. 20, 2009.

Obama will move into the Oval Office as leader of a country that is almost certainly in recession, and fighting two long wars, one in Iraq, the other in Afghanistan.

The popular vote was close — 51.3 percent to 47.5 percent with 73 percent of all U.S. precincts counted — but not the count in the Electoral College, where it mattered most.

There, Obama's audacious decision to contest McCain in states that hadn't gone Democratic in years paid rich dividends.

Obama has said his first order of presidential business will be to tackle the economy. He has also pledged to withdraw most U.S. combat troops from Iraq within 16 months.

obama isn't a faith healer....

...but laws that will be passed under his government that benefit science might make the crippled walk one day. laws passed by obama and his government will actually do something.

NO MORE BUSH VETOs!

one day my avatar might show me standing behind that woman instead of her riding on top of me.

Last edited:
Y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n y e s w e c a n yes

Man, they really must have practiced for this speech. Obama's got a new kind of power to his delivery.

I saw some papers waved around peripherally when he was speaking, but he is clearly an orator, not a mere speech-reader like Bush and so many other petty politicians. That was the best speech he could give, and he gave it well, considering his win is a huge triumph that vindicates literally generations of African-Americans, but alongside that triumph is the, probably insurmountable, problems that face the US.... Bringing the US "back to prominence" is not going to happen anytime soon. They will be too busy trying to pay down their trillion-dollar debt and fighting useless wars externally then to be able to heal the innerworkings of their own country. If Obama can institute social programs in the US (free medical care and half decent publicly funded schools) which in itself is practically an impossibility because the idea of paying taxes to help someone worse off is highly offensive to the average american.

Not only that, but there's the economic/environmental side, if Obama really can see long-term (which clearly he can) he will know that the US's reliance on oil is not a viable economic driver any more. And also not the way of the future (he was insinuating this in his speech when he eloquently referred to the 106 year old black woman voter). If he can transplant the fading manufacturing jobs from car-makers to wind-turbinemakers, and shift the dependence from oil as a source of fuel to combinations of other diversified sources, somehow...If Obama can institute country-wide mandatory recycling, composting etc....but they HATE national programs - they are scared of them, they freely paint 'community organizers' as 'terrorists'. Obama knows that without a literal paradigm shift in american thinking, a regeneration of their country will be impossible. Everything in the US revolves around doing whatever it takes to make money, money is the key to happiness, americans see rampant consumerism as a freedom not a privilege, the freedom to BUY, the freedom to borrow way way more then you have. The freedom to gorge yourself your entire life on McDonalds and be proudly morbidly obese (1 in 4 over there) and the freedom to be too stupid to feed yourself nutriciously, the freedom to carry automatic weapons so they can kill each other at whim. Let's not forget to mention their avaricious attitude towards the resources of other nations! Water, they'll want to drain the Great Lakes in our lifetime, pollution? Just dump it up north or down south or on their own people and make them play golf on a nuclear waste dumpsite, the US'll bomb a country to hell and harass OTHER countries to clean up their mess!!.....Hell - even the very US elections and the federal reserve are private enterprise! We have 'Elections Canada' and CBC, and free universal health care and good public schooling that'll get you into a university, even being the richest country in the world - the US has nothing of the sort.

Last edited:

Back