Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
Is anyone else getting bored with the US election? I'm getting to the point where I don't give a damn until they (the USA) actually make a decision.

Brandon,

Why would anyone support Nader after what happened the last time he ran?

Wouldn't you mean next-to-last-time? After all, he also ran in 2004, and that time, his much-reduced vote *didn't* signify a robbed Democratic advantage...

Imo this debate has really shaken my view of the two...

Obama is really good on foriegn policy, but McCain won.

Obama was not as dominant on the economy as expected, but he won.

She's got something in common with Dan Quayle. They both have a solid grasp of geography.

http://thestar.blogs.com/bigpicture/2008/09/a-rare-american.html

Quayle:

"Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here." - Hawaii, 4/25/89

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."

Or history for that matter.

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." - 9/15/88

Did anyone catch the SNL parody of the Palin interview and notice that most of it was just repeating what Palin herself actually said in the interview? I think the SNL writers are getting lazy. Or maybe Palin is just that funny.

Did anyone catch the SNL parody of the Palin interview and notice that most of it was just repeating what Palin herself actually said in the interview? I think the SNL writers are getting lazy. Or maybe Palin is just that funny.

It was brilliant.... the lifeline line was awesome, but the fact that the writer's saw enough humour in the raw material.. that's a statement.

Brandon,

Why would anyone support Nader after what happened the last time he ran? If you are really to the left, I would think that keeping the Republicans out of office would be job 1. Or do you actually believe that people should practice democracy and vote according to their conscience?

I'm also disillusioned with Nader. He comes along every 4 years to ask Americans to make him president, then disappears, only to reappear 4 years later to campaign for president again. He talks a good game, but what has he done for America lately? I know the response from Nader supporters would be that Obama and McCain haven't done much for the US either. That's fair. But where has Ralph Nader been all this time?

Also, Obama and McCain proved they are electable to some public office. Why doesn't Nader first try to run for some lower office like mayor of a progressive city like Portland, Oregon or something? Then he can work his way up. His grassroots supporters would agree to this strategy, rather than the top-down method he currently employs.

Actually, Nader's legal firms and affiliates are in constant battle between elections. Its the media that totally block out his attempts and efforts for positive change.

The history of Ralph Nader is a rich one, and he's fought for consumer protections that we all enjoy today.

Actually, Nader's legal firms and affiliates are in constant battle between elections. Its the media that totally block out his attempts and efforts for positive change.

The history of Ralph Nader is a rich one, and he's fought for consumer protections that we all enjoy today.

I like Nader, but he sounds like Jack Layton when talking about corporations.

I like Nader, but he sounds like Jack Layton when talking about corporations.

True that. I have great respect for Nader's honesty and in a similar way I believe Layton is the most honest here among the top three here; it's his policies that get in the way.

A third party option just isn't on the horizon in the U.S. and Nader only makes trouble for the Democrats. If Ross Perot is the best that can come along as far as popular vote goes then there isn't much chance for useful change. It's not his thing but Nader would be great on the oversight committee just to keep the rest of them honest.

I don't agree. If I were Canadian and had a stake in this election, I would gladly vote Liberal and support Dion's leadership to become the next PM. I would be on the left side of the Liberal party and wouldn't mind some of the other voices in the party because the party has demonstrated real leadership against Iraq and keeping Canada out, they demonstrated leadership on the health accord that Martin worked out even though Martin is financially on the right side of the party in ways.

The Democratic party in the US doesn't stand up for even basic things like the above.

I think its easier to say a vote for the NDP is a vote in favor of Harper as opposed to saying a vote for Nader is a vote for McCain. Obama and McCain's policies on domestic issues is minimal, the bulk of the difference is with foreign policy.

With 3 weeks to go, here is my official projection for how the 2008 US Presidential Election will turn out.

election08projection.gif

I'm placing no bets or money on the table, but this is how I think the electoral map is shaping up.

Back