News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Where's the Streetcar?

I'm seldom downtown in the early AM but I spotted some of these at 7 AM yesterday; do these take passengers?

Yes they do take passengers. They are actually part of the reason streetcar service is less crowded for the mornings on King East vs. King West. They seen to add about an extra 10 trips downtown between 7 and 9.

Unusually I was at King and Spadina at about 10 pm on Saturday. A couple of observations - the Spadina car heading east on King - presumably to Russell - didn't take passengers - at least it certainly didn't stop for me at Peter street, despite me standing at the stop waving.

Secondly, waiting for a northbound Spadina car. A 15-minute wait - probably longer, as I didn't see any pass while I was walking. And then the car was so packed that it took about 25 minutes to get from King to Spaina station.

Anyone who says next streetcar signs are a waste of time on these routes because they are too frequent, clearly doesn't actually use them. It would have been very useful to know when the next car was coming, as if I'd known I'd have been standing there for 15 minutes - which also then means the service is going to be very slow, I'd have caught a King car, or walked to the subway.

Considering 510 service actually ramps up in the midday, perhaps they can start deploying some 510s from Roncy during later AM rush, route it downtown, short turn at Church and head back to Spadina?

Photos of the screens ~5pm today...

3111156399_8aa44dc2c2_b.jpg

3111989192_ab40366080_b.jpg

3111157177_1d7a682fa8_b.jpg

3111157585_4640aa6343_b.jpg

Comments...

- The location of the screens are terrible: the two LCD screens are located away from the streetcar loading area, and the dot matrix (is that what I should call it?) is located over the waiting area, but well behind of the yellow line. People standing at the front of the line will not see any of the screens. I think both screens should be installed on the wall opposite the tracks from the platform.

- None of the signs tell passengers where the streetcar will terminate at, only which route they will be taking. Most info displays in major transit systems in the world, from the London Underground to our Viva BRT, tell passengers where the next vehicle will end its trip.

- I'm surprised that the Google Map screen actually shows the weather forecast, out of all the things that it could do. Fortunately the screen isn't selling any advertising like the OneStop screens... yet.

Those LCD screens are nice and all but are completely useless as you pointed out.

The real test will be the LED tickers installed at Union station and whatever they plan on rolling out on the actually streetcar stops ... probably a similar ticker.

I'm not sure there's a need to show where the route is ending to be honest. Maybe and S for short turn - in which case they can ask the driver ... for such a small screen the extra info is information overload and in most cases isn't needed.

ps - update on ttc.ca
http://www3.ttc.ca/News/TTC_launches_next_vehicle_arrival_notification_pilot_project.jsp

I'm not sure there's a need to show where the route is ending to be honest. Maybe and S for short turn - in which case they can ask the driver ... for such a small screen the extra info is information overload and in most cases isn't needed.

I disagree, especially for the 510. If I'm at Spadina station and going to CityPlace, for example, I can't take the 510 KING. If I know that the branch I can't take is next then I know not to line up and boarding will be more orderly for all.

Good point ... sorry can you elaborate on the short turning that occurs on 510 that causes the most trouble (I don't take the route often enough) ...

One thing ... maybe develop a couple new call signs ... 510K ... and so on, that would be an easy way to accomplish it. And if it was any other abnormal situation you could use 510S < assuming it's something that doesn't happen very regularly and is not predictable. Anyway with the previous situation I as a passenger would likely ask the driver if I see some weird destination on the screen that I'm not aware of.

Looks like a great start to me! Can't believe that people here are complaining that all the bells and whistles like destination aren't there yet.

And if your standing on the yellow line, you can simply turn around and see the other display on the wall - it's in direct view, and quite readable with the large letters.

Looks like a great start to me! Can't believe that people here are complaining that all the bells and whistles like destination aren't there yet.

And if your standing on the yellow line, you can simply turn around and see the other display on the wall - it's in direct view, and quite readable with the large letters.

I like to think that people are really making kind-hearted, forward-thinking suggestions rather than complaining....

Oh to be young and idealistic...:)

Identifying branches is "bells and whistles"? The only people I can think of that would have standards that low are the producers of the Amazing Race.

Identifying branches is "bells and whistles"?
Indeed it is. It certainly isn't essential to operation. The entire thing is a test - clearly by the time it is fully implemented, that will be included. Presumably the data isn't available yet. Not sure what you all expect in a test.

Indeed it is. It certainly isn't essential to operation. The entire thing is a test - clearly by the time it is fully implemented, that will be included. Presumably the data isn't available yet. Not sure what you all expect in a test.

Except Adam Giambrone, on CBC Radio today, said very clearly that it wasn't a test and was the first phase of the full roll out.

Identifying branches is essential to operation if the whole point of the device is to tell customers which vehicle is next. No one is calling this a total failure. It's just incomplete and lacks some key portions. It's a car without a speedometer - something it should have regardless of it being a prototype or production model.

Back