News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 377     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 955     1 

TTC ticket booth unmanned, what do you do?

What do you do when the ticket collector isn't there?

• I always pay my fair regardless

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I'll enter for free

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • I'll drop a few coins in to make it look like I'm paying

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • N/A as I have a Metro pass

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters

wonderboy416

Member Bio
Reaction score
When you're entering the subway and the ticket collector isn't in the booth what do you do?

I ask this as it's been happening to me quite a bit lately, usually when boarding the train at Yonge/Bloor around 1:30 to catch the last trains there's nobody in the ticket booth, it also happened to me yesterday at 6:00pm at Kipling. As I don't have a Metro Pass I was faced with an obvious dilemma, so what do you do?

Last edited:
If I have enough money on me, I always pay my full fare.

It would be hypocritical not to pay, I feel, as someone who is on a site like urbantoronto and always advocates for public transit in Toronto.

Not gonna lie, I just walk through.

Most of the time, I need change so im not gonna drop a bill into the fare box. Even if I do have exact change, I usually just hold onto it.

I say that anyone who sees an unmanned booth sould as a matter of principle enter for free. No need to feel even the slightest smidgen of guilt about it.

If TTC workers can't be bothered to collect fares, then why should we be bothered to pay? If TTC management won't enforce its own work rules, then let the logical consequences of that negligence follow.

More and more, I'm convinced that the only way for the TTC to improve is for it to first hit rock bottom.

Fares and tax money are paying for the salary of collectors. If they can't be bothered to do their job, then I don't see why anyone should feel a need to pay.

I say that anyone who sees an unmanned booth sould as a matter of principle enter for free. No need to feel even the slightest smidgen of guilt about it.

If TTC workers can't be bothered to collect fares, then why should we be bothered to pay? If TTC management won't enforce its own work rules, then let the logical consequences of that negligence follow.

I think you are telling yourself that because it's convenient (financially) for you to believe that.

Washroom breaks perhaps? Maybe the schedule allows for unmanned booths at times? I'm sure it's not as simple as you make it out to be. On the other hand, I am no TTC expert, nor do I think it's God's gift to Toronto by any means.

If I have tokens/correct change on me I'll pay it, but if I'm there to buy more tokens I don't have time to wait for the ticket person to come back so I drop a few pennies in there.

I think you are telling yourself that because it's convenient (financially) for you to believe that.

If I was the sort of person who went around swiping chocolate bars from dozing convenience store clerks, you might have a point. No, I'm merely someone who is fed up with the TTC's ever-deteriorating service.

The "missing fare collector" is a phenomenon that I've increasingly noticed over the years. One might also ask why the TTC doesn't have more automated entrances so that washroom breaks are not even an issue.

I once had to buy my fare at a station without token dispensers and I didn't have change. For whatever reason the collector had to hurriedly leave his booth, I explained and he was fine with me walking through. I always pay full fare otherwise.

Tonight at Sheppard heading south I gave the collector $10 and asked for 2 tickets and change, he stated he didn't have any change and that I can just pay when I get off. At that point I thought I had seen it all...

What's the dilemma?

You ride, you pay.

If you don't have proper change at the time, then double pay the next time.

I always pay, but if I didn't have any change and was planning to buy tokens that would be more problematic. I guess I'd use one of the token machines. It's never actually happened to me. I agree with some of the above posters that as a defender of public transit, I would feel hypocritical riding without paying if it was at all possible to do so.

It is also worth considering that it is *possible* that even when the attendant is away from the booth he is still working, not slacking. Maybe there was an emergency at track level and he went down to check it out? Possible, I suppose, though it's more likely he's in the can.

What's the dilemma?

You ride, you pay.

If you don't have proper change at the time, then double pay the next time.

Would you confront someone you saw doing this?
Maybe you saw them with a ticket in hand (eliminating the chance that they have a metro pass), they're in front of you, they saw no one in the booth and decided not to pay. It seems someone so high and mighty on their morals just might do that type of thing...

Would you confront someone you saw doing this?
Maybe you saw them with a ticket in hand (eliminating the chance that they have a metro pass), they're in front of you, they saw no one in the booth and decided not to pay. It seems someone so high and mighty on their morals just might do that type of thing...
It says far more about you than me when you equate: paying for a ride on a TTC vehicle, a ride you know should cost a fare = high and mighty.

The people who wish the transit operators 'a nice day' must be freakin' saints.

As for your question - would I confront someone?
Possibly. If I confront someone I'm assuming a level of logic and consideration on their part... it's a big assumption.
When the mood strikes I like to pick my battles.

Back