News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

TTC Subway Track Replacement

Your proposal wasn't for some unknown subway outside of Canada, but for the Toronto subway system.
You didn't understand me right. My proposal was for the TTC subway. My experience was from a subway outside of Canada.

As for signal modifications, are you at all aware of the Toronto Rocket subway trains and the TTC's current work towards installing ATO on the YUS line?
Yes, I'm aware of this too.

Last edited:
You didn't understand me right. My proposal was for the TTC subway. My experience was from a subway outside of Canada.

But as I already pointed out, that experience is irrelevant since we are talking about the physical layout of the Toronto system.

What you appear to be refusing to acknowledge is that there are very few segments of the Toronto system where it is feasible to run beyond 70 km/h. Rebuilding the tracks at the cost of who knows how many millions for these marginal gains is simply gravy train spending.

I have taken a GPS aboard subway trains and measured speeds for fun (above ground sections only obviously) . Trains already achieve up to 80km/h. The limiting factor seems to be max train acceleration and speed (I think the H series is the fastest) and signals (red lights).

New track would have no speed benefit.

I have taken a GPS aboard subway trains and measured speeds for fun (above ground sections only obviously) . Trains already achieve up to 80km/h. The limiting factor seems to be max train acceleration and speed (I think the H series is the fastest) and signals (red lights).

New track would have no speed benefit.
80 KMH? I didn't know that. I did hear something that they operated at 65 KMH. At least on the Sheppard line. Anyhow, regarding acceleration, yes acceleration does play an important role in speed. However, longectivity would be an advantage of this type of track and that smooth feel.

Last edited:
xtndsbw, what is the point of this thread? At least get your basic facts correct otherwise you appear at best an idiot. Ride the subway, actually see that the vast majority of the current system already has a version of what you are talking about and the section that does, has it for particular reasons.

Which are?

That's weird, I could have sworn I listed off the significant stop spacings already in this thread:
- Downsview to Wilson
- Eglinton W to St Clair W
- Possibly St Clair W to Dupont, but there are issues with that stretch
- Eglinton to Lawrence
- Lawrence to York Mills
- York Mills to Sheppard

If you want any credibility, please provide something approximating the current speed profile on those stretches and what you estimate would be the new speed profile with your new tracks.

Basically, demonstrate how it is at all "very beneficial".

The downtown loop and most of the outdoor sections uses traditional crossties.

Much of the BD and older tunnelled sections have the rail bolted directly to the tunnel floor; the newer stuff uses "floating slabs" to reduce noise.

That's weird, I could have sworn I listed off the significant stop spacings already in this thread:
- Downsview to Wilson
- Eglinton W to St Clair W
- Possibly St Clair W to Dupont, but there are issues with that stretch
- Eglinton to Lawrence
- Lawrence to York Mills
- York Mills to Sheppard

If you want any credibility, please provide something approximating the current speed profile on those stretches and what you estimate would be the new speed profile with your new tracks.

Basically, demonstrate how it is at all "very beneficial".

THe trains can't really go much faster on the YUS simply because of the hills, they're already going at full power up those hills on the yonge line You could click in "high rate" but in order to gain more speed you'd need bigger motors in the rolling stock.
The stretches either side of St Clair West are also quite curvy. The downsview to wilson stretch is limited by congestion at the crossovers, conflicts with yard moves, and that sharp curve just north of Wilson where the tracks pass under the southbound Allen lanes.

Back