News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

TTC Subway Track Replacement

Expect to see more of this as its the only way TTC is going to get ahead of its back log.

Expect to see stations closed down like the supposed one at Pape until the strike came along. We should know later this month when Pape will be close for about 9 days.

The Union 2nd Platform shut down will not happen until 2014, days before it goes into service. There is no way they can a full hording on the south side of the existing platform overnight even if it was permanent.

They do this around the world, but it new to us.

TTC may have to shut down busy section of Yonge subway line to repair 60-year-old track in 2014

Councillor Josh Matlow is urging the TTC to look at “every possible way” to avoid shutting down a portion of the Yonge subway line between Eglinton and St. Clair for track work next year.

The transit commission, which is mulling plans to replace the 60-year-old track bed on that portion of the line, has yet to confirm a timeline for the closure.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross said all options remained on the table, with the transit commission in the process of determining when to undertake the repairs. He could not confirm that a shutdown would be necessary, but if so, that portion of the Yonge line could be out of service for days or even weeks.

Alternative transit plans, including the possibility of a dedicated bus lane along Yonge, are part of the larger discussion around the track project, Mr. Ross said. The TTC hopes to get the work done next year and is considering various options, such as scheduling the repairs in the summer, when ridership is lowest.

But wait, I thought subways lasted 100 years without having to have any significant repairs?! I guess Rob Ford lied... That's a new one!

I've often wondered how he explains TTC SOGR budget; much of which goes into the subway system. Surely they're not buying 3 solid Platinum sledge hammers every day.

Last edited:
What would be the "quietest" month to do such a shutdown? July?

I would think very early July (around Canada Day). Students on vacation, many workers are on vacation, and people are more willing to walk for short-trips in pleasant weather.

I would think very early July (around Canada Day). Students on vacation, many workers are on vacation, and people are more willing to walk for short-trips in pleasant weather.
That's good - it's only a 30-minute walk from St. Clair to Eglinton. Might be faster than the replacement bus.

Hopefully the TTC will move the customer service office out of Davisville during this period, as it will be pretty hard to get to during this time.

Indeed, the more well publicized in advance the closure is, the more downtown workers will take this time off, or make arrangements to work at home for some or all of these days. Even if they can't do that, and I know not everyone who works downtown can arrange for that, you don't need everyone to do it, only enough to relieve the difference in capacity. I have mostly worked for small financial firms in my life, but I did work for a division of TD once for a year in 2010, and at that time they had a fully functional back-up office located on Steeles Ave. that could handle the needs of hundreds staff if necessary. Other banks have the same type of offices in other locations. This is exactly the kind of event they are designed top handle.

Last edited:
It should be remembered that they are talking about the open section of the original Yonge line between St. Clair and Eglinton, that will be closed.

However, even with advance publicity, there will still be people who don't watch or listen or read any news, or who will throw information flyers away. Those will be the people who will complain that didn't know about the shutdown, even though there would be publicity about it.

Back