News   Apr 26, 2024
 447     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 

TTC: St. Clair Streetcar Right Of Way

they are rebuilding the loops at the two subway stations as well from my understanding, which wasn't done when they did the right of way.

They are doing work at both subway stations, yes, but not rebuilding the loops per se. There is roofing and structural work going on at St. Clair, and they are rebuilding the ramps into/out of the station at St Clair West.

This would be a good time to do the Keele-St Clair rail bridge reworking, no? At least let's hope it's combined with LaughTrack construction...

Do what, exactly? Considering that they haven't yet started the EA, never mind finalized a plan to try and fix it all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Well, they now have to build a SmartTrack station at Keele also - hope it all gets done by then.

If it's just the platforms that need altering why not keep running the streetcars and have people wait at the sidewalks.
That would be dangerous even if they could run streetcars. Drivers aren't used to streetcars passengers walking onto the roadway there.

Because Bathurst and College, isn't it?

Some clarification to the whole crowd.

1. The special track work at Bathurst and College has cut off the route from the car barns that normally dispatch 512 cars. You can't get streetcars to St Clair at the moment. (Ignore if you will an improvised solution like warehousing cars on an interim basis at Hillcrest.)
1a. If you want a fix for this, agitate with your city councillor to get the tracks rebuilt from Dundas West Station up to St.Clair and Runnymede or Jane. In business or engineering, where there is only one way, it's called a critical path. Sadly the tracks from Bathurst and College are, at the moment, a critical path to St Clair Ave. Cut off this intersection and you render the 512 line inoperable.
1b. TTC management is well aware of many critical paths in the network. The limitation is not their skill or imagination, but cash. If we want more of it - transit - we have to agitate with politicians to pay for it.
2. St. Clair station is now 60 years old. In all structures of this age, there is a need to do significant midlife upgrades and repair like the roof work going on now. This is normal. What is not normal is watching your transit system go to hell in a hand basket as we have for 30 years.
3. Even St. Clair West is 30 years old. Between track work at the entrance, elevators and Presto fare gates, it's a good time to blitz through the construction.
4. The indigestion over the work is due to the failure to build an adequate alternate rapid transit network so that we could all travel the other 'arm' of the loop in the event that our primary route is disrupted. We are on a good path to resolving some of this with the new Line 5 but there is plenty more to do.
5. Everybody get writing to your city councillor and MPP. Critiquing the TTC is silly. The management does what it can within the funding envelope provided.
6. It is easy to sit/ write here and criticize. Doing public works and trying to inconvenience as few people as possible is a thankless, brutal job. I say this as a person who has worked in the private sector all his life.

Last edited:
Well, much as I'd like to see more streetcar routes, the cost of that second connection considered againt the costs of bustitution on the infrequent occasions where the route is blocked might be the reason why there is only one connection. Can you show me how bad planning forced an unnecessary closure for a long period? It looks like they did not a bad job of getting several things done at once, in a single window of opportunity.

- Paul

Bingo. I don't understand the whining. With the Bathurst/College work, service on St. Clair would have been buses anyway, even if nothing was done to St. Clair.

They also took advantage of this week to do work further east on College/Carlton as well, with 506 stopping at Parliament all week, but running past University next week.

Seems to me that anyone not congratulating TTC on finally co-ordinating this stuff properly has an axe to grind.

What does this mean exactly?

During the construction of a new underpass on St. Clair Avenue West, between Keele/Weston and Old Weston, the 512 St. Clair streetcars will be terminating (Also Known As a short turn) at Lansdowne Avenue. The destination sign will likely be 512 LANSDOWNE. They also likely have a shuttle bus between Lansdowne and the Gunns Loop, maybe even detouring around it completely, at times.

Because Bathurst and College, isn't it?
well if there were no mid block stops, passengers can wait on sidewalks and then at intersections with a green lite cross to board streetcar. Cars should have to stop further back behind the back doors of the streetcar. There should be a separate stop line for cars then for streetcars

Some clarification to the whole crowd.

1. The special track work at Bathurst and College has cut off the route from the car barns that normally dispatch 512 cars. You can't get streetcars to St Clair at the moment. (Ignore if you will an improvised solution like warehousing cars on an interim basis at Hillcrest.)
1a. If you want a fix for this, agitate with your city councillor to get the tracks rebuilt from Dundas West Station up to St.Clair and Runnymede or Jane. In business or engineering, where there is only one way, it's called a critical path. Sadly the tracks from Bathurst and College are, at the moment, a critical path to St Clair Ave. Cut off this intersection and you render the 512 line inoperable.
1b. TTC management is well aware of many critical paths in the network. The limitation is not their skill or imagination, but cash. If we want more of it - transit - we have to agitate with politicians to pay for it.
2. St. Clair station is now 60 years old. In all structures of this age, there is a need to do significant midlife upgrades and repair like the roof work going on now. This is normal. What is not normal is watching your transit system go to hell in a hand basket as we have for 30 years.
3. Even St. Clair West is 30 years old. Between track work at the entrance, elevators and Presto fare gates, it's a good time to blitz through the construction.
4. The indigestion over the work is due to the failure to build an adequate alternate rapid transit network so that we could all travel the other 'arm' of the loop in the event that our primary route is disrupted. We are on a good path to resolving some of this with the new Line 5 but there is plenty more to do.
5. Everybody get writing to your city councillor and MPP. Critiquing the TTC is silly. The management does what it can within the funding envelope provided.
6. It is easy to sit/ write here and criticize. Doing public works and trying to inconvenience as few people as possible is a thankless, brutal job. I say this as a person who has worked in the private sector all his life.

Now that the western section is up and running with streetcars again,why no flexes yet? There should be at least one for testing the line.They now have access to Davenport yard. I know they are needed more so elsewhere,but they still should run run one if they are not yet.

Now that the western section is up and running with streetcars again,why no flexes yet? There should be at least one for testing the line.They now have access to Davenport yard. I know they are needed more so elsewhere,but they still should run run one if they are not yet.
The TTC plan has Flexities on St Clair only in a couple of years - the current plan is for Spadina, Queens Quay, Bathurst, Cherry and King becoming 100% Flexity next and the other lines then coming 'on line' (as it were!) . I suspect the exact order of the next batch of lines to be converted will change but there's lots of time, the new cars are still dribbling in from BBD. The TTC DO test all the new ones in many parts of the system and, AFIK, have run them over all parts of the trackage already.

I saw a Flexity on St. Clair at Avenue Rd way back before we ever had one in revenue service, in the middle of a snow storm.

Back