706     3 

TTC: St. Clair Streetcar Right Of Way

Gunns Road/Weston Road... before.

s0071_it4025.jpg

f1244_it7260.jpg

s0071_it4048.jpg

Today...
upload_2015-9-21_19-20-17.png

That lumber building is still there... for now.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-21_19-20-17.png
    upload_2015-9-21_19-20-17.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,984
`St. Clair Avenue West Area - Transportation Master Plan

Notice of Public Event

From this link:

Date: Wednesday December 2, 2015
Time: 6:30 - 8:30pm, presentation at 7:00pm
Location: Joseph J. Piccininni Community Centre, 1369 St. Clair Avenue West

What solutions are being studied?

1. Widen St. Clair Avenue West to provide 2 lanes per direction between Old Weston Road and Keele Street. The streetcar
would continue to operate in a dedicated right-of-way.

2. Extend Gunns Road east. Gunns Road would extend across the railway tracks to connect to Turnberry Avenue at Union Street, creating a new east-west connection.

3. Connect Davenport Road to Lloyd Avenue. Davenport Road would extend west from Old Weston Road across the railway tracks and create a new road from Old Weston Road to Keele Street.

4. Extend Keele Street south to meet the Gunns Road extension between Weston Road and Union Street to create a new north-south and east-west connection.

5. Extend Davenport Road northwest to Union Street, in addition to Option 4. This new road would cross St. Clair Avenue on a bridge and create new road connections both north and south of St. Clair Avenue.

Why not just extend Keele southwest to hit Weston and then rename the portion of Weston south of that to Keele to make Keele continuous?

Why not just extend Keele southwest to hit Weston and then rename the portion of Weston south of that to Keele to make Keele continuous?

That's #2 and #4. Read the reports in "Background", including the June 2015 Functional Planning Study report (download PDF from this link) from this link.

`St. Clair Avenue West Area - Transportation Master Plan

Notice of Public Event

From this link:

Date: Wednesday December 2, 2015
Time: 6:30 - 8:30pm, presentation at 7:00pm
Location: Joseph J. Piccininni Community Centre, 1369 St. Clair Avenue West

What solutions are being studied?

1. Widen St. Clair Avenue West to provide 2 lanes per direction between Old Weston Road and Keele Street. The streetcar
would continue to operate in a dedicated right-of-way.

2. Extend Gunns Road east. Gunns Road would extend across the railway tracks to connect to Turnberry Avenue at Union Street, creating a new east-west connection.

3. Connect Davenport Road to Lloyd Avenue. Davenport Road would extend west from Old Weston Road across the railway tracks and create a new road from Old Weston Road to Keele Street.

4. Extend Keele Street south to meet the Gunns Road extension between Weston Road and Union Street to create a new north-south and east-west connection.

5. Extend Davenport Road northwest to Union Street, in addition to Option 4. This new road would cross St. Clair Avenue on a bridge and create new road connections both north and south of St. Clair Avenue.

1. I can really only see this as meaning widening to the south, given the townhouses on the north side. That would probably mean expropriating some land at the north end of Mulock and maybe shifting the streetcar tracks south a bit.

2+4. Would mean a tunnel or a fairly high bridge over the Georgetown tracks. There's a lumber yard west of the tracks and a wrecking yard east of them. The allowance for extending Keele south to the new Union/Turnberry south also seems kind of narrow.

3. This looks like it would mean knocking down some houses on Old Weston. It would be just north of where the GO tracks were recently lowered, though, so probably a crossing at grade.

2+4 would be really useful, but I don't think it's enough to draw traffic away from the St Clair underpass, which is the core of the problem.

Public Consultation Report - January 2016

See link.

One additional alternative will be considered.
The extension of Davenport Road bridged over to connect to West Toronto Street. This will allow east-west traffic flow while reducing the number of vehicles travelling through St.Clair Avenue West.

As per this link:

st-clair-work_map-ju.jpg

Was at St. Clair & Keele today (Sunday). The shelter/islands had notices and placards (most in fluorescent pink) with information that the streetcars were not running and to board the buses at the curb at the side of the road.

Totally ignored by some, even standing next to them on the platforms. And it was on the news yesterday.

That’s why they do changes like this on the weekend, especially on Sundays. Even if no construction is happening on this day.

I’ll expect the reverse to happen when the streetcars return in September or December. Makes me think the closing credits to the “Airplane” movie. Gave them 15 minutes, after I had my lunch, to tell them (and after several 512 buses passed by them).

Last edited:
If it's just the platforms that need altering why not keep running the streetcars and have people wait at the sidewalks.

they are rebuilding the loops at the two subway stations as well from my understanding, which wasn't done when they did the right of way.

This would be a good time to do the Keele-St Clair rail bridge reworking, no? At least let's hope it's combined with LaughTrack construction...

Back