News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 605     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

Operational costs are higher for regular buses as they have to run more frequently but the rest of the planet gets around that by using articulated or even double articulated buses.

Toronto will go with articulated buses again. Still, the capacity of a set of 3 LRTs on Eglinton will get more riders per driver.

Also if Toronto was concerned about operational costs then the Eglinton battle wouldn't even exist. For the sake of just 3 or 4 stations between DM and Kennedy, Toronto is going to turn a low operational cost automated system to one that requires a driver for every train.

The money saved on that small stretch pays for the operational improvements on Finch West and a part of Sheppard East. The reduction in the number of bus drivers that will be required is significant. The debate on Eglinton is do we accept nothing on Sheppard and Finch to bury part of Eglinton.

Seems to me that if long term operational costs are a real concern than there should be no discussion about making Eglinton totally grade separated as opposed to running down the middle of the road.

You need to look at the operational costs across all the routes that will get improvements. There isn't money to grade separate Eglinton East, Sheppard East, and Finch West.

For people who travel to other parts of the city (and that's how many people in a big city tend to travel), it will be a long ride on LRT followed by a long ride on connecting routes.

According to the study a third of the trips from northern Scarborough are local, a third southerly and downtown, and the remainder is crosstown and northerly. LRT with more stops serves local trips better than a subway, and southerly trips are handled by the SRT and replacement plus GO. Students buy student housing where it is convenient to get to school price permitting, people buy housing where it is convenient to get to work price permitting, and there are far fewer people living in northern Scarborough commuting across town than people want to accept. LRT represents permanence and that will impact development. That development will be nowhere near what is seen on Yonge or downtown regardless of the technology chosen due to location, but it will be higher than now.

^ GO in its present form, 5 trains per day each way on the Stouffville line and no fare integration, cannot handle any significant number of southerly trips from the area.

If the GO trains ran on 20 min headways or better, and the fares were integrated, then Sheppard East LRT would become much more appealing as a feeder line for GO. But we are not there yet, and Stouffville line is nowhere near the top of the waiting list for improvements.

Last edited:
^ GO in its present form, 5 trains per day each way on the Stouffville line and no fare integration, cannot handle any significant number of southerly trips from the area.

If the GO trains ran on 20 min headways or better, and the fares were integrated, then Sheppard East LRT would become much more appealing as a feeder line for GO. But we are not there yet, and Stouffville line is nowhere near the top of the waiting list for improvements.
So why does that not happen/ Is that not an issue with GO then and the provincial gov't

You are kidding right?
Why would he be kidding? It's a long-standing issue that's been discussed here previously. It doesn't help that VIA and CN pay more than Bombardier, so anytime there is an opening at either of those two, that invariably they can hire fully qualified engineers from Bombardier. The recent loss of 3 VIA engineers surely won't help either.

Why would he be kidding? It's a long-standing issue that's been discussed here previously. It doesn't help that VIA and CN pay more than Bombardier, so anytime there is an opening at either of those two, that invariably they can hire fully qualified engineers from Bombardier. The recent loss of 3 VIA engineers surely won't help either.
Thank You sir :)

Ugly situtation that needs to be fixed.

According to the study a third of the trips from northern Scarborough are local, a third southerly and downtown, and the remainder is crosstown and northerly. LRT with more stops serves local trips better than a subway, and southerly trips are handled by the SRT and replacement plus GO. Students buy student housing where it is convenient to get to school price permitting, people buy housing where it is convenient to get to work price permitting, and there are far fewer people living in northern Scarborough commuting across town than people want to accept. LRT represents permanence and that will impact development. That development will be nowhere near what is seen on Yonge or downtown regardless of the technology chosen due to location, but it will be higher than now.

Even though YRT is currently free, the ridership seems about the same as it was before the strike. Likewise, traffic congestion has remained fairly static as well.

Sure, many transit trips along Sheppard tend to be local in nature, but what about ALL trips? Specifically, ones where people drive because transit is too slow to meet their needs. One of transit's goals should be to get people out of their cars, not just cater to those who cannot afford one. I know a number of people in Richmond Hill who go to Humber, and they all drive because taking transit would be 2-3 hours each way! Obviously you cannot build rapid transit for everyone to get everywhere, but it should provide a relatively fast network of lines to allow people to get around the city efficiently.

Ironically, the Sheppard and Finch portions of Transit City may have less vision attached to them than Ford's transit plan. What is currently proposed appears to be nothing more than running higher capacity buses on steel wheels and rails. At least Ford's plan was to build a new crosstown rapid transit line to allow people in central and northern parts of Toronto to get across the city without having to go down to the Bloor-Danforth line.

And for the record, I am not for extending Sheppard underground. I am for extending it on or above the surface, and reducing the number of stops to allow for higher speeds. See my signature as to what I think we should be doing...

What is your problem? Because I asked if he was kidding. In the less than 1 year I have been reading these posts I have not read anything about engineering shortages as the reason for lack of all day GO transit. Plus if that is the case all the more reason why TTC drivers deserve the pay they get instead of what some people have suggested on here - dropping it down to 16/hr

Last edited:
Word. I'm behind that.

But the unions won't like it, if you look at the conditions. Remember that Harper funded half billion dollars worth of the CANADA LINE elevated subway in Vancouver...BUT it had to be a private public partnership (or he woudlnt do it).

Our TTC and unions and leftist councillors like Adam Vaughan wont like or allow that.

See:
http://www.coldclearlogic.com/2012/0...ronto-transit/

Harper should offer a relatively small amount of funding, but with stringent conditions:

Last edited:

Back