News   May 03, 2024
 734     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 475     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 241     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The position, at one level sounds tailor-made for a former City Councillor supposedly in the running to succeed Rick Leary.

But 80k a year would be a big pay cut for that person............

Hmmmm
Maybe testing the waters, letting Giambrone rebuild relationships with Council and TTC Staff and then pushing Leary out and having Giambrone replace him?

Glad to see this. What a circus. It's clear the Big 3 were not willing to play nice and get it done, I got cell service (through Freedom, formerly Wind) on the platform 8 years ago and it's taken this long to get to this point.
and if it wasnt for all the attacks on the TTC, we'd probably still be waiting...

I think some things are just starting to get out of control at this point. This is the first time in my life I've ever seen this in the system:

20230901_194820.JPG
20230901_194826.JPG

I think some things are just starting to get out of control at this point. This is the first time in my life I've ever seen this in the system:

View attachment 505938View attachment 505939
I can do one better - the toilet in one of the outhouses in Dufferin Grove park had a bunch of needles in it, mere meters from the children's wading pool and playground. Nearby there was a tent and the "occupant" was sprawled in front of it, clearly strung out.

Parks have been an issue for a while now for this stuff. St. James and David Crombie regularly have paraphernalia under the climbing structures in the playgrounds.

The position, at one level sounds tailor-made for a former City Councillor supposedly in the running to succeed Rick Leary.

But 80k a year would be a big pay cut for that person............

Hmmmm
If the position is tailor made, with the potential of being CEO, the low salary is is not a big deal. They'll eventually, probably guaranteed, to get the big job.

I'd rather they just outright replace the CEO. I've heard this idea before, change the position to General Manager, with the reduced scope of TTC now that the province is responsible for expansion. And the focus is on daily operations.

There's definitely already some overlap with the requirements of the Transit policy position and with the CEO responsibilities. Id be curious to see how Rick Leary feels about that.

Looking at the recent history of CEO/GM at TTC, they usually last about 5 years. So I'm sure Chow and Jamaal already know who they'd like to have as CEO. And Jamaal being a former employee and currently a daily user of TTC, he'd have a good idea of who should be CEO.
Adam will be interesting, and a perfect time and opportunity now that Chow is mayor, someone that is from the same political party. You really can't get it any better timing that as a way of coming back Toronto, something Adam has been open about. But for all we know it could be someone else.

If they do indeed get a new CEO, they need to get it before the next budget cycle, get the new person familiar with TTCs situation and what's needed for TTC. So the sooner the better.

Can't wait for the next board meeting, Sept 26

Last edited:
I mean...he's taken a downgrade before by going from the MBTA to YRT.
He wasn't head of MBTA, in York region he was in charge. So he moved up in position from MBTA To YRT.
If anything, he stepped down coming to TTC, I believe as COO in 2014, and eventually became CEO 4 years later.

But it's an interesting point you made.

Reactions: JBR
He wasn't head of MBTA, in York region he was in charge. So he moved up in position from MBTA To YRT.
If anything, he stepped down coming to TTC, I believe as COO in 2014, and eventually became CEO 4 years later.

His last position at the MBTA was the COO, who was in charge of the day-to-day operations of the entire organization.

While he may have become the General Manager of YRT upon his arrival there, I think it's fair to consider the head of a 20M-ish operation to be a little less prestigious title than the chief of Operations of a property who has a ridership in excess of 150M per year.

That said, it's still pretty amazing that he's managed to fail upwards in the way that he has.

Dan

TTC to open Greenwood Complex this Saturday in support of the United Way

Sept. 15, 2023

This Sat., Sept 16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the TTC will open the doors to its Greenwood Shop in support of its annual United Way Campaign. The east-end maintenance facility, which opened in 1965, is where TTC crews repair and overhaul a large portion of the subway fleet.

The family-friendly event will allow visitors to go behind the scenes and participate in guided tours of the TTC’s subway maintenance and infrastructure facilities. Guests can enjoy a variety of additional activities including a silent auction, BBQ, and a virtual subway simulator. TTC work cars will also be on display.

“I want to say a big thank you to the employees who generously organize and contribute to the annual TTC United Way campaign,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “I encourage everyone to come out this Saturday to Greenwood Shop, as it promises to be great fun for a great cause.”

“This open house is an excellent way for members of the public to get an exclusive look at the inner workings of the TTC, while supporting a very worthy cause,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Thank you to the employees who have organized this event, and who will be out there on Saturday supporting the United Way.”

“We at the TTC are so proud and excited to showcase our Greenwood Complex and some of the incredible work required to keep the subway running for our customers,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This is the first event of many in our 2023 United Way campaign, and I want to thank the employees and pensioners who work so hard to make these fundraisers so special.”

TTC’s Greenwood Complex is located at 400 Greenwood Ave. Bus and Wheel-Trans shuttles will run between Coxwell Station and the event. Admission at the door is $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under (cash only). All proceeds will go to United Way Greater Toronto.

The next event in support of the United Way will be a garage sale at TTC’s Danforth Division on Sat., Sept. 23.

Last year, TTC employees raised over $630,000 for the United Way of Greater Toronto through various initiatives, including a Halloween event at Bay Lower Station, an Open House at Hillcrest Complex, and staff events and donations.

TTC to open Greenwood Complex this Saturday in support of the United Way

Sept. 15, 2023

This Sat., Sept 16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the TTC will open the doors to its Greenwood Shop in support of its annual United Way Campaign. The east-end maintenance facility, which opened in 1965, is where TTC crews repair and overhaul a large portion of the subway fleet.

The family-friendly event will allow visitors to go behind the scenes and participate in guided tours of the TTC’s subway maintenance and infrastructure facilities. Guests can enjoy a variety of additional activities including a silent auction, BBQ, and a virtual subway simulator. TTC work cars will also be on display.

“I want to say a big thank you to the employees who generously organize and contribute to the annual TTC United Way campaign,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “I encourage everyone to come out this Saturday to Greenwood Shop, as it promises to be great fun for a great cause.”

“This open house is an excellent way for members of the public to get an exclusive look at the inner workings of the TTC, while supporting a very worthy cause,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Thank you to the employees who have organized this event, and who will be out there on Saturday supporting the United Way.”

“We at the TTC are so proud and excited to showcase our Greenwood Complex and some of the incredible work required to keep the subway running for our customers,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This is the first event of many in our 2023 United Way campaign, and I want to thank the employees and pensioners who work so hard to make these fundraisers so special.”

TTC’s Greenwood Complex is located at 400 Greenwood Ave. Bus and Wheel-Trans shuttles will run between Coxwell Station and the event. Admission at the door is $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under (cash only). All proceeds will go to United Way Greater Toronto.

The next event in support of the United Way will be a garage sale at TTC’s Danforth Division on Sat., Sept. 23.

Last year, TTC employees raised over $630,000 for the United Way of Greater Toronto through various initiatives, including a Halloween event at Bay Lower Station, an Open House at Hillcrest Complex, and staff events and donations.

Speaking of United Way...

Whatever happened to the pizza sales at Subway Stations?

Back