News   Apr 25, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Getting more buses from another supplier would work.
Getting more buses isn't an option as they don't have space for them in the current garages even when the new one opens up it still won't mean they can add more buses. Before anyone says it Lessie Streetcar barn is not on the table for storing buses.

This doesnt surprise me at all, and the number will continue to increase as long as the TTC keeps the same loading standards in place with more Nova Bus' arriving. As i've said before, there is no way the 40 foot LFS can carry the same amount of people that the outgoing 40 foot Orion VII can carry like the TTC likes to claim.

It's time they adjust their loading standards and increase service accordingly. If they're not interested in doing that, than simply go with a different supplier.

This doesnt surprise me at all, and the number will continue to increase as long as the TTC keeps the same loading standards in place with more Nova Bus' arriving. As i've said before, there is no way the 40 foot LFS can carry the same amount of people that the outgoing 40 foot Orion VII can carry like the TTC likes to claim.

Your logic doesn't follow. If the Nova Buses don't fit as many people as the old ones, but the TTC keeps the same crowding standards, we would see fewer buses going over the TTC's crowding standards.

Anyways, what's the difference between old and new buses' capacities?

Your logic doesn't follow. If the Nova Buses don't fit as many people as the old ones, but the TTC keeps the same crowding standards, we would see fewer buses going over the TTC's crowding standards.

Anyways, what's the difference between old and new buses' capacities?
Perhaps I didnt clarify with my previous statement. The TTC needs to change their loading standards because the one that they are currently using simply does not work with the Nova Bus'. I experienced it again just a few hours ago where a couple Nova Bus' were packed to capacity and bypassed a stop, which normally never occurs when an Orion VII is servicing the route.

As for the capacities of the 40 foot buses the TTC currently operates, the NovaBus LFS have 33 seats while the Orion VII have 36-38 depending on the model. The standing capacities on both, according to the TTC are the same, which I can tell you is blatantly false.

They had the same problem in the past, when they were trying to claim the high floor buses they used to operate could fit the same amount of people as the low floor Orion VII they were just about to acquire. Ultimately something clicked in their heads and they finally adjusted crowding standards.

Does the TTC have any “special” bus/streetcar/LRT shelters that include more things to allows riders to be more comfortable while waiting? I know about the regular shelters, shelters with lights, system maps, next bus signs, benches, garbage cans (outside), and bike parking. Are there any with heat lamps, closed shelters, or any other improvements?

Does the TTC have any “special” bus/streetcar/LRT shelters that include more things to allows riders to be more comfortable while waiting? I know about the regular shelters, shelters with lights, system maps, next bus signs, benches, garbage cans (outside), and bike parking. Are there any with heat lamps, closed shelters, or any other improvements?

If you are thinking of the ones they have at GO stations the answer is no.

Even at Streetcar loops like Bingham there are no enclosed shelters.

You need to realize that they would become homeless shelters very quickly. There is a a reason the TTC and by extension the City of Toronto won't approve such a design.

I can also see idiots lighting a cigarette off the heat lamps and causing a fire.

Last edited:
I’ve lost hope in humanity if someone actually did this. Is this a problem with other heat lamp areas?

No but the ones at GO transit stations are monitored 24/7 by CCTV and their constables. If someone is smoking or takes up residence they will be relocated and fined.

I’ve lost hope in humanity if someone actually did this. Is this a problem with other heat lamp areas?

I also forgot to mention that the residence impaired have a tendency to pick up the remains of previously used cigarettes but not have anything to ignite them with. If you give them a heat source, they will use it to ignite things with. If they can ignite objects with it, they can start a fire for warmth thereby surviving off it.

One thing to consider is that in areas like Moss Park, Cabbagetown, etc enclosed shelters with heat sources end up becoming homeless shelters due to the enclosure, heat source and lighting. Think of it like a bedroom in the outdoors during the winter. Toronto Police would be responsible for relocating the residents of the shelters unlike GO transit which is virtually secure and almost never frequented by the homeless.

The TTC does not have the means by which to prevent occupation of enclosed shelters so the city would never approve such a thing.

There are two other things that make enclosed shelters a good fit for GO Transit:

1. GO Trains are less frequent - usually every 30 minutes - so people need somewhere to go if they have an extended wait
2. The shelters are staffed, and the staff leave and lock the doors when there aren't any inbound trains running.

Andy Byford is the current CEO of the TTC. Andy came to Toronto by way of transit agencies in England and Australia.

Wonder who is waiting in the wings? Would they come from some transit agency in North America, England, or Australia? What would happen should someone from Spain, Germany, China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, or Thailand are invited get the #2 job, or "worse" the top job? Would they first check to see if the TTC has the resources available, similar or close what their originating countries gave their transit agencies?

They’ll probably not accept, if they saw what the TTC has backing them.

Andy Byford is the current CEO of the TTC. Andy came to Toronto by way of transit agencies in England and Australia.

Wonder who is waiting in the wings? Would they come from some transit agency in North America, England, or Australia? What would happen should someone from Spain, Germany, China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, or Thailand are invited get the #2 job, or "worse" the top job? Would they first check to see if the TTC has the resources available, similar or close what their originating countries gave their transit agencies?

They’ll probably not accept, if they saw what the TTC has backing them.

There probably aren't very many job openings available for being the CEO of a transportation system, let alone the third largest system in North America. I'm sure there are tons of people that would jump at the opportunity.

Back