News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 668     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 306     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

4 am, driver fled the scene. Gee, I wonder if alcohol was involved.

I wonder if there is a CCTV at the portal.

Update - apparently the driver returned

Brad RossVerified account‏@bradTTC
2/ Streetcar discovered the car at 3:53 am. Driver fled then returned. Charged by Transit Enforcement.
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/834773921186586624

Brad RossVerified account‏@bradTTC

3/ Claims he was following his GPS.
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/834774145770651655

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder if a good old fashioned parking lot gate, triggered to open only by a streetcar, is needed.

- Paul

I wonder if a good old fashioned parking lot gate, triggered to open only by a streetcar, is needed.

If they want to spend money fixing it, they should just make it so that a car won't get stuck all the way at the end of the tunnel. Either catch them at the entrance or let them drive all the way around. Last year another SUV got stuck in the exact same way at the exact same spot. I know it's fun to speculate about the wild possibilities like alcohol, but some people really are just clueless. The GPS says "keep left" so they keep left right into a tunnel, and they just follow the tunnel with blind faith in their GPS.

- Paul
... or simply remove the concrete between the tracks for a few yards on the ramp or at start of tunnel. However, some people are simply too clueless or drunk or stoned to notice such things!

However, some people are simply too clueless or drunk or stoned to notice such things!

I don't think there's any level of drunkenness where you wouldn't notice that you're in a railway tunnel but you'd make it through the sharp left turn and Queen's Quay station without hitting anything.

... or simply remove the concrete between the tracks for a few yards on the ramp or at start of tunnel. However, some people are simply too clueless or drunk or stoned to notice such things!

In case you never noticed, they've already done that - there is a "catch pit" near the bottom of the grade, where there is a two-foot-long "gap" in the concrete which is supposed to help prevent cars from going further - and in most cases, it does. But not only that, but the rail is completely exposed, with the base concrete a good 8 inches below the head of the rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In case you never noticed, they've already done that - there is a "catch pit" near the bottom of the grade, where there is a two-foot-long "gap" in the concrete which is supposed to help prevent cars from going further - and in most cases, it does. But not only that, but the rail is completely exposed, with the base concrete a good 8 inches below the head of the rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I had not seen this, I seldom walk down the ramp :->

Howabout a pair of laser beams running off the 600VDC overhead that vaporizes any foreign item entering the tunnel.

You will need significantly more than what that can offer, unless you just want to strip the paint off the foreign item. Time to modify an old CLRV with an oversized jaws of life?

AoD

The original tweet was deleted. What did it say?
It was commenting on a whiteboard in a Metrolinx office which made derogatory comments about the TTC, particularly in regards to cleanliness - which seems ironic given Metrolinx's disinterest in dealing with graffiti.

Back