News   Apr 26, 2024
 152     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 162     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I could imagine the screams of agony at the union if this was proposed. But would improve customer satisfaction (no short turns, going 10 km/hr on a streetcar with not one in front of you so the driver can time his arrival at the station, sitting for 5 minutes at a subway stop while the driver switches direction, etc.)
There would be no "screams of agony if it was proposed". Simply "what are you gonna give from our wish list to agree to that".

Most companies have switched to weekly overtime computations.
Is that new outside a union requirement? I remember this in the pre-computer days, where it was all on a timecard. You had to have more than 15-minutes on a given day, but you wouldn't get anything if the week as a whole was less. (used to consistently stamp in a couple of minutes early in the morning and after lunch, and about 5 minutes late at the end, to make sure I got my 15 minutes most days .... for the extra $1!)

Is that new outside a union requirement? I remember this in the pre-computer days, where it was all on a timecard. You had to have more than 15-minutes on a given day, but you wouldn't get anything if the week as a whole was less. (used to consistently stamp in a couple of minutes early in the morning and after lunch, and about 5 minutes late at the end, to make sure I got my 15 minutes most days .... for the extra $1!)

It's all part of the labour agreement.

When your employees have a fixed route (e.g. 504) that is about 1 hour long you will consistently be off your shift time when you hit a terminal. Most non-unionized workplaces as soon as you terminate your run you punch the clock off. And the new person punches in at the same time. The employer saves approx. 30 minutes of dead time at both ends of your shift (if its 24 x 7 service)...1 hour per day. $75 including benefits and pension costs per hour. 3 shifts a day. $225 per day, $82,000 per year. Having 1000 people working at once and all of a sudden it's $82M in savings.

Not the same benefit if its not 24/7 but a similar computation.

Employees are never happy with the change (they wouldn't get paid to chat and drink coffee before/after their shift). But you can share with them the savings (start of shift bonus of $25) for the first few years and then it dissapears.

I wished they did a complete DBFM on Crosstown and Finch West. We wouldn't have had these problems with the streetcars (BBD would run them just like they do all over the world without the Metrolinx screwing up everything). And we wouldn't have had the TTC union claws in the future growth of our system.

Most companies have switched to weekly overtime computations. If you work an extra 30 min on Monday because everything is running late the company will organize it so you get to leave 30 minutes early on Tues. Net no overtime unless you have over 40 hours at the end of the week.

I could imagine the screams of agony at the union if this was proposed. But would improve customer satisfaction (no short turns, going 10 km/hr on a streetcar with not one in front of you so the driver can time his arrival at the station, sitting for 5 minutes at a subway stop while the driver switches direction, etc.)

Weekly/bi-weekly overtime computations have been a thing for years and years, but I don't know one company that does the time exchange as you describe it, and that includes the auto industry. If you work overtime, you get paid for overtime, and lieu days only come into play if you've somehow accumulated enough overtime within a pay period to justify a day off.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

4432 should enter service in the next few days and currently at the EX loop.

The next batch after Queen goes out of service will not see testing on it after Queen is close and will only see service on it once they are allow to run on it in normal service.

Saw 3 New cars going west on King as 514 with larger space between them. Heading for the subway at King and Yonge at 8:30pm, all 3 going eastbound playing follow the leader.

4432 is in service on 509 unless they are testing stop announcement. Currently heading toward the EX loop at Bathurst.

Update:
Not in service, as it went to a dot as it hit the loop.

4432 is in service on 509 unless they are testing stop announcement. Currently heading toward the EX loop at Bathurst.

Update:
Not in service, as it went to a dot as it hit the loop.
You do remember the nextbus route was not revised for the opening of the EX loop. It obviously tracks off route once it gets there.

It's going up and down Queens Quay again today, so presumably it did enter service yesterday.
It currently heading eastbound at Bathurst as a dot which is saying, still in testing. I did say sometime ago, I expected the car to enter service about March 2 or 3rd, depending on testing and burn. Looks like March 3rd.

Since Lake Shore is out of service, TTC has to find a route where they can do more burn in faster. Looks like 512 & 509 are those routes, especially 509 with the layover track at the EX loop.

Update:
Its been said that the car did enter service yesterday.

It was a dot when it arrived at Fleet loop, and has an arrow going east from the loop now.

Last edited:
It currently heading eastbound at Bathurst as a dot which is saying, still in testing. I did say sometime ago, I expected the car to enter service about March 2 or 3rd, depending on testing and burn. Looks like March 3rd.

Since Lake Shore is out of service, TTC has to find a route where they can do more burn in faster. Looks like 512 & 509 are those routes, especially 509 with the layover track at the EX loop.

Update:
Its been said that the car did enter service yesterday.

It was a dot when it arrived at Fleet loop, and has an arrow going east from the loop now.
If you look at all other streetcars entering the loop, they will all appear out of service.

Look at the map: http://www.nextbus.com/googleMap/?a=ttc&r=509

Back