News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 945     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4611 enter service on March 13 on route 503

4611 has broken the 20 plus days to entre service at 19 days and the fastest so far.

4613 was off loaded on Monday and is now tracking

4612 is over at Russell foe SWIC work and most likely in service some time next week.

If the keep delivering like they have been, over 50% of the cars will be here by year end and full delivery by fall of 2025.

4614 is in Toronto and could be dropped off at TTC over the weekend so it can be offloaded next week.

4614 is at TTC Hillcrest loading dock to be offloaded next week. It does not have a front number.
133A9665.JPG
133A9667.JPG

March 31
It has been reported that 4615 is in Lambton Yard and if they keep it at the current rate, all 60 cars could be here this year and sooner than planned.

4612 is now back at the Barns in the service bays and will enter service this week.

4613 may have finished its burn in and testing with it sitting on the service bay track

does anyone know the status of the water damaged ones:

4471, 4478 and any other flooded ones still down?
They went to TB years ago after being cleaned in the US and have disappeared from the radar.

Your guess is good as anyone's one since there is zero info on them floating around.

TTC will have to pick up the full cost to rebuild them and given the poor shape TTC is in, I expect they will be scrapped, but who knows. I was expecting they would be the first two to show up as prototypes for the next sixty cars and that did not happen.

They went to TB years ago after being cleaned in the US and have disappeared from the radar.

Your guess is good as anyone's one since there is zero info on them floating around.

TTC will have to pick up the full cost to rebuild them and given the poor shape TTC is in, I expect they will be scrapped, but who knows. I was expecting they would be the first two to show up as prototypes for the next sixty cars and that did not happen.
If a car ended up in those water, they will be scrapped. I always predicted those streetcars to be write offs and it seem to be increasing true now.

If a car ended up in those water, they will be scrapped. I always predicted those streetcars to be write offs and it seem to be increasing true now.
When I googled about them this morning I saw this quote

""The repairs to the four cars requiring Bombardier's assistance are being done under contract and we do have insurance for situations like this," Green added."

One thing that bugs me about the new streetcars is how ugly and cluttered their tops are. We’re a city of towers, where our streetcars are often seen from above, so the roof panels should not be ignored. I understand that with a low floor design all the mechanical components that were under the floor in earlier streetcars must now go elsewhere, but this doesn’t mean we need to have to top covered in black boxes and pipes like the air conditioning units on an old RV.

20200218-streetcar-toronto.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_630-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1200_.jpg

The top panel of the O-Train is uncluttered by comparison.

img_4502-001.jpg

When I googled about them this morning I saw this quote

""The repairs to the four cars requiring Bombardier's assistance are being done under contract and we do have insurance for situations like this," Green added."

What were the numbers of the other two as there been no mention of them that I am aware of???

If the two ever return, they will be the last of the original fleet to retire years after the ones built after them do. They will retire four plus years after 4603 entre service on February 08/2020

One thing that bugs me about the new streetcars is how ugly and cluttered their tops are. We’re a city of towers, where our streetcars are often seen from above, so the roof panels should not be ignored. I understand that with a low floor design all the mechanical components that were under the floor in earlier streetcars must now go elsewhere, but this doesn’t mean we need to have to top covered in black boxes and pipes like the air conditioning units on an old RV.

20200218-streetcar-toronto.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_630-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1200_.jpg

img_4502-001.jpg

A Quick check of my 2012 and 2022 Europe shots of trams has BBD been open at the top while other are enclosed. Some could be open, but the sides are preventing a view of the roof
Berlin 2012
8185455784_2682c0ba1e_b.jpg

Belgium 2022
52547146211_b97b21baaa_b.jpg

One thing that bugs me about the new streetcars is how ugly and cluttered their tops are. We’re a city of towers, where our streetcars are often seen from above, so the roof panels should not be ignored.
I disagree. I don't see any problem with it, the number of people in this city who would notice how cluttered the roofs are are probably in the triple digits and those who would have a problem with it are probably half that population. I don't think it's worth engineering a more difficult access point to the equipment to appease a very small group of people.

What were the numbers of the other two as there been no mention of them that I am aware of???
The other two were 4419 and 4481. They were fixed quickly, 4481 returned at the end of September 2018 and 4419 in mid November 2018.

img_4502-001.jpg
The Alstom cars used by Ottawa are just as open up top as the Flexities in Toronto are. All of the roof-top equipment is completely open and exposed, making it easily accessible when work needs to be done on them.

The only difference is that they decided to paint them white instead of black, as they are in Toronto.

Dan

The Alstom cars used by Ottawa are just as open up top as the Flexities in Toronto are. All of the roof-top equipment is completely open and exposed, making it easily accessible when work needs to be done on them.

The only difference is that they decided to paint them white instead of black, as they are in Toronto.

Dan
Yes, the TTC has FAR larger problems than the fact that, to some, the roofs look cluttered from above. Sheesh!

img_4502-001.jpg
I never would've thought that this would be a problem for anyone...

I suppose solution is that Alstom should go and lower all that roof mounted equipment so that it protrudes into the interior space of the LRVs so people can hit their heads huh?

Back