News   Apr 25, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 818     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 828     0 

TTC: Customer Service

It's perfectly acceptable, but the text to speech should reflect local pronunciations. Adjusting to local speech is an issue go text to speech. We've seen similar problems in Google Maps, where it would call Hwy 401, "Ontario Highway Four Hundred and One, Macdonald Cartier Freeway, Highway Four Hundred and One Express" (something along those lines).
Google Maps would call the QEW "Q" as in the letter "Q."

It's perfectly acceptable, but the text to speech should reflect local pronunciations. Adjusting to local speech is an issue go text to speech. We've seen similar problems in Google Maps, where it would call Hwy 401, "Ontario Highway Four Hundred and One, Macdonald Cartier Freeway, Highway Four Hundred and One Express" (something along those lines).
There's not much can be done. The external announcements are using a feature of the destination sign, which its connected to, which is basically reading the text inputted into the Luminator IPS program. Any changes to pronunciation would otherwise change the formatting of the signs.

One wonders if any of our local pronunciations will in some part adapt to the text to speech

I also just realized that the 509 and 510 say five-oh-nine Harbourfront and five-ten Spadina. I'd imagine that if they can make the voice say it on the LFLRVs they can reprogram the pronunciation on the buses too.

I find the cadence of the speech on the external announcements to be a bit off. Stresses are placed on the wrong syllables. Again, it's an issue with the text-to-speech engine, but the system works pretty well. I would be happy if I were visually impaired.

For a visually impaired person, please forgive me for making a wild and outlandish assumption, but somehow I doubt they're going to be upset that the TTC buses that previously had zero external audio will say "One Hundred Ninety-Nine Finch Rocket" instead of "One Ninety-Nine Finch Rocket".

Yes, your low standards should obviously prevail. These pieces of shit also cannot pronounce relatively unimportant proper names like Dundas.

The external route announcements were not actually tested and have not been debugged. Their implementation is a complete boondoggle for reasons I won’t get into here. But – one more time – there is no such thing as a One Hundred Ninety-Nine bus route in the TTC. It doesn’t exist any more than a 6ix or a BBC bus route exists.

Some things actually are correct. What you are proposing we accept is not.

Yes, your low standards should obviously prevail. These pieces of shit also cannot pronounce relatively unimportant proper names like Dundas.

The external route announcements were not actually tested and have not been debugged. Their implementation is a complete boondoggle for reasons I won’t get into here. But – one more time – there is no such thing as a One Hundred Ninety-Nine bus route in the TTC. It doesn’t exist any more than a 6ix or a BBC bus route exists.

That's unnecessarily vulgar and rude. I suggest that you check your attitude.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the content of your comment if that's going to be the context.

Before you go around calling people out over correctness of facts, you need to look at this page which confirms the existence of the One Hundred Ninety-Nine bus route. The times are a changin'.

MK3EpeY.gif

For goodness sakes, the proper way to pronounce the number 199 in the English language is one hundred ninety-nine or one hundred and ninety-nine. Not one-nine-nine. The speaker is right and we're all lazy.

Seriously? Such a nasty debate over route announcements?

For clarity, each digit is often pronounced one at a time in a number when giving directions or coordinates. Saying "1-9-9 Finch Rocket - to Scarborough Centre Station" is perfectly appropriate in this case.

Just as we say the five-oh-one, the five-ten, the five-eleven and so on for streetcar routes.

That's unnecessarily vulgar and rude. I suggest that you check your attitude.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the content of your comment if that's going to be the context.

Ooh, looks like grumpy ol' Joe 'UR DOIN IT WRONG' Clark done told you.

Back