News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 446     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

Actually the work on Cherry was all done by CRCE - the TTC may have supervised the track laying part of it but almost all major track projects are contacted out.
Do you know if they also laid the intersection at King/Sumach? I saw them grinding there once and they were working on the rails really close to the intersection.

The contractor? That's the TTC.
Are you sure? I thought it was Ellis Don under contract to Dundee Kilmer, like the rest of the Cherry/Sumach rebuild.

Actually the work on Cherry was all done by CRCE - the TTC may have supervised the track laying part of it but almost all major track projects are contacted out.
CRCE? You are probably right, as you were more aware of what was going on. But what's CRCE?

Are you sure? I thought it was Ellis Don under contract to Dundee Kilmer, like the rest of the Cherry/Sumach rebuild.

CRCE? You are probably right, as you were more aware of what was going on. But what's CRCE?
It's a construction contractor. Canadian Road Construction Engineers, I think..

The consensus on the other (main) TTC thread is that the noise is greatly exaggerated now that some rail grinding has occurred. The complaints MAY move up the conversion of 514 to all Flexities as they appear to be fine.

NIMBYs really do suck

The consensus on the other (main) TTC thread is that the noise is greatly exaggerated now that some rail grinding has occurred. The complaints MAY move up the conversion of 514 to all Flexities as they appear to be fine.

Oh ok, we will just pressure Bombardier to ramp up prod--AHAHAHAHAHHA sorry I can't keep it together for that one.

You have to judge it based on what a person would hear in a building. Walls and windows do a decent job of stopping ambient noise from entering the home, but they're not as effective on high-pitched and low-pitched noise like screeches or diesel engines. A person might have a quiet home except for some screeches every few minutes that didn't happen before the streetcar line was extended.

Honestly. If you want to live in silence, please find a nice place in Dufferin County. I live in Leslieville and the GO Lakeshore East line, the Carlton 506 car, the Greenwood yard (especially at 0500h), and the Russell division (this is the carbarn on Queen at Connaught) can all be heard standing in the street in front of my home at more or less all hours of the day. The loudest is the 506 car. I think this is standard Toronto "city" background noise.

If these noises are issues, then how will we have the right transit for 3.0M people if two or three or ten can cause this havoc?. Unfortunate for sure, but the needs of the many surely outweigh the issues of the few. Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of people live on subway and streetcar and bus and GO train lines and somehow they have survived.

Back