News   Apr 24, 2024
 883     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 602     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

Will working on a website I help to built, I came upon some info that I never posted when I started this thread, considering I wrote it as part of the history of streetcars in Toronto starting back in 1830.

Back in 2007, it was known that the line servicing Cherry St was to be 514, but no west end loop was known then. Every 3rd car was to use Cherry St.

The line was to be in service by 2011 or 2012 and was 4 years late than plan on June 19, 2016.

Only about 2 months though after the West Donlands and Cherry Street itself opened!
The streetcar was planned before the Pan Am games were awarded and they then made a decision NOT to open the line until after the Pan-Am Games when the condos etc at west Din Lands (Canary District) would be filling up. The track was laid several years ahead of that and the overhead could easily have been put up sooner but really not point doing so until just before opening day. It's a bit unfair to say it was 4 years late.

I am still seeing daily drivers that end up on the streetcar right-of-way. It seems to me that the signage and pavement markings are woefully inadequate. I think what is needed is much more prominent signage (including signs on the intersecting streets indicated how to turn), and markings right at the intersection, and in the right-of-way, that clearly indicate cars are not allowed.

I am still seeing daily drivers that end up on the streetcar right-of-way. It seems to me that the signage and pavement markings are woefully inadequate. I think what is needed is much more prominent signage (including signs on the intersecting streets indicated how to turn), and markings right at the intersection, and in the right-of-way, that clearly indicate cars are not allowed.

Different coloured concrete maybe?

Different coloured concrete maybe?

Surface treatment won't as effective in winter. If the first person puts down tire tracks in the snow onto the streetcar tracks many others will follow them to the same incorrect place.

Yellow flexible bollards (flexible so emergency vehicles can clear them) at the corners and centers of the ROW for 10 feet on either side of the intersection would probably do the trick of acting as a visual wall for drivers.

Longer term (next rebuild) I think the trees between the bike lane and sidewalk need to go between the LRT and the street. Hopefully vehicles will know where to go before that happens.

Last edited:
The problem is drivers turing too wide or too narrowly from the crossing street. I think perhaps some sort of pavement marking (solid red "Do Not Enter") at the entrance to each section of streetcar right-of-way, along with much more prominent "guide lines" for turning cars, would really help.

Fortunately I haven't actually seen any collisions prompted by this -- yet.

How about tacks? Or one of those barriers that are at all American car rental agency exits with the spikes that puncture tires when you drive through them the wrong way?

Perhaps a name 'n shame with your picture on the front cover of your local community newspaper like with hookers n johns?

In addition to a low assh*le tolerance, I have a generally low tolerance for cluelessness. Which part of do not enter, or a red circle with a horizontal white bar did they miss?

How about we remove licenses from clueless drivers? This should provide two great benefits for Toronto. Firstly, far fewer people will be driving which should do wonders for traffic. Secondly, there will be an uptick in transit utilization which has been down recently. Sounds like a home run to me.

Using grass on the the right-of-way is forbidden because of the single lane of traffic, by order of the roads department.

nordhaus11430.jpg

Yet they do that in other countries, that are not so auto-addicted.

The big difference between us and Europe is the cost of the ticket. All finds are high to the point it can be a month or 2 of wages. Finds goes onto the cost of your insurance as well which doesn't happen here.

Red paint and no enter should be painted at all intersections until Grass can be place in these ROW that were plan for from day one. Still expect to see the odd driver up on the grass and they should be sent back for testing and understanding the rules of the road.

Judging by the shiny spots on the curves on Sumach near King this week, they must have been doing a lot of overnight rail grinding. I'm surprised they are doing so many days worth.

I can only assume that the contractor for this new track installation isn't up to snuff. Perhaps this is why the 504 crawls so slowly through this intersection.

I haven't been down to Cherry for a while - have they been doing much rail grinding down there at nights?

Judging by the shiny spots on the curves on Sumach near King this week, they must have been doing a lot of overnight rail grinding. I'm surprised they are doing so many days worth.

I can only assume that the contractor for this new track installation isn't up to snuff. Perhaps this is why the 504 crawls so slowly through this intersection.

I haven't been down to Cherry for a while - have they been doing much rail grinding down there at nights?
The main problem is on the King/Sumach curves - some neighbours have been very vocal.

Surface treatment won't as effective in winter. If the first person puts down tire tracks in the snow onto the streetcar tracks many others will follow them to the same incorrect place.

Yellow flexible bollards (flexible so emergency vehicles can clear them) at the corners and centers of the ROW for 10 feet on either side of the intersection would probably do the trick of acting as a visual wall for drivers.

Longer term (next rebuild) I think the trees between the bike lane and sidewalk need to go between the LRT and the street. Hopefully vehicles will know where to go before that happens.

what about having crossing gates that close off the streetcar tracks when a streetcar isn't approaching?

The contractor? That's the TTC.

The problem is drivers turning too wide or too narrowly from the crossing street. I think perhaps some sort of pavement marking (solid red "Do Not Enter") at the entrance to each section of streetcar right-of-way, along with much more prominent "guide lines" for turning cars, would really help. Fortunately I haven't actually seen any collisions prompted by this -- yet.

Saw another one yesterday turn on to the tracks at Mill and Cherry. This time the driver figured it out, possibly with aide from my puzzled stare, and they backed out and went up the proper lane.

Back