News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Is there really any point in numbering the SRT at this point?

The Scarb Subway is unfunded and there's little chance of Council approving taxes to fund it. However, Ontario's offical position is that theyre going to build this unfunded line.

As far as I'm concerned, Scarborough is getting zero new transit until the situation is worked out between the Toronto and Ontario.

Last edited:
I suppose we can just live without a line 3 after the SRT is decommissioned. It will just bother me having that missing line number.

It is interesting that the Soberman report stated that the B-D subway extension was by far the worst solution, followed by the LRT. The use of SkyTrain was clearly the best choice.

http://www.toronto.ca/srtstudy/pdf/srt-strategic-plan-report.pdf

Well, kinda but not really. Quite a bit of his personal opinion was lost in the actual report.

Soberman was strongly in favour of the subway option. He spent a good 15 minutes during his presentation at SCC trying, unsuccessfully, to rally the crowd behind the subway option.

His second choice, obviously was the technology he had a hand in designing (SkyTrain). Read the actual text around the numbers and you get a range with SkyTrain being specified as minimums and LRT as maximums. TTC did actual measuring later on and found the minimums were not achievable.

The subway lines have been numbered for over a decade. If you recall, when the 4 Sheppard Subway opened in 2002, the TTC renumbered the 4 Annette bus route to 26 Dupont to free up the number. The numbers were mainly used internally, but are currently shown in certain places, like here: http://ttc.ca/Subway/index.jsp The difference now is that the numbers will be widely used in signage and wayfinding, in audio announcements, etc..

The Wikipedia articles for various Toronto subway lines have the internal numbers used long before the announcement was made.

From BlogTO:

20131007-TTC-Icons.jpg

The TTC chair tweeted this, so it seems to be official.

Attachments

• 20131007-TTC-Icons.jpg
    20131007-TTC-Icons.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 567
Looks nice.

"Right now if you go to Bloor-Yonge station the signage is inconsistent to say the least. It's very difficult for anybody navigating the system for the first time or even an occasional rider to know what 'eastbound mezzanine level' means," Ross says. "The signage, the wayfinding is not very good and we acknowledge that and that's part of why we're doing all of this."

Ultimately, a brand new style guide, which will include hundreds of icons, symbols, font, and design standards, will be rolled out for use across the entire system. No more hand-written notes in collector booths, no more mixed fonts and confusing directions, the TTC says.

And it looks like the Commission will finally be unifying the signage. Complaining about the inconsistent signs was my first post when I joined UT two years ago.

I made a slightly better version of the schematic map I made a couple of weeks ago. One version for if the council votes for the subway and Blue #3 gets freed up for Eglinton:

And in the unlikely event that the LRT somehow survives tomorrow's meeting, here's a map where Eglinton gets assigned Orange #5.

Back