798     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
It's not surprising that much of the plan has resurfaced, considering that the city's needs don't go away just because you put the plan document on the shelf.

A lot of wisdom has crept in since TC was in full bloom, and it's for the better. The prominence of the DRL is one improvement - and as a subway at that. It's good to see subway vs LRT being considered on the basis of need rather than ideology. The premise of improved intra-city service on GO lines (by whatever name) is constructive.

I don't know how literally to take that map - it's only a stimulus for discussion, after all - but it has some interesting lines and gaps
- DRL 'future' goes to Dundas West
- WWLRT has a connection to GO at Park Lawn
- 504 on King earns a 'Surface RT' label
- ST west only goes to Mt Dennis
- Finch LRT has neither connection to Yonge St nor to the Airport

- Paul

I don't know how literally to take that map - it's only a stimulus for discussion, after all - but it has some interesting lines and gaps
- DRL 'future' goes to Dundas West
- WWLRT has a connection to GO at Park Lawn
- 504 on King earns a 'Surface RT' label
- ST west only goes to Mt Dennis
- Finch LRT has neither connection to Yonge St nor to the Airport

Is there a map in the print version of the Globe story? There doesn't appear to be one on the web version and it would be interesting to look at it in detail. I don't suppose you could scan and upload it?

Is there a map in the print version of the Globe story? There doesn't appear to be one on the web version and it would be interesting to look at it in detail. I don't suppose you could scan and upload it?
No. But the author of that story tweeted one on-line this morning.

And looking at it, the reason that the Don Mills LRT is off the table, is that a future phase of the DRL goes to Sheppard/Don Mills station.

That surface ROW along King would be interesting (which has it's own thread at http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-transit-mall-priority-measures.19816/page-24 )

Last edited:
This is all just MoveOntario 2020 (Round 2) all over again. To be honest I was more optimistic about that plan, that I am about this one ever coming to fruition.

The only lines that will be built for sure are the Finch LRT and Eglinton Crosstown.

Honest question - would it make sense ending the YUS at Downsview, extending the sheppard line westward from yonge and continuing that line north-west to VCC via the currently under construction extension... thereby making the stubway an actual E/W line and providing more capacity on YUS line? Is that crazy? Feel free to call me crazy. This would also create a decent connection for the FINCH LRT for Yonge riders... while more effectively moving traffic in the North of the city.

Honest question - would it make sense ending the YUS at Downsview, extending the sheppard line westward from yonge and continuing that line north-west to VCC via the currently under construction extension... thereby making the stubway an actual E/W line and providing more capacity on YUS line? Is that crazy? Feel free to call me crazy. This would also create a decent connection for the FINCH LRT for Yonge riders... while more effectively moving traffic in the North of the city.

I wouldn't say it's infeasible, but I'd be worried about funnelling more traffic onto the Yonge line under the current fare structure. Also, in terms of priority I'd consider it fairly low when compared to the DRL or WWLRT. However, with a connection to the Barrie RER corridor at Downsview, it would offer passengers a quicker ride into downtown than on Yonge.

Interlining Sheppard and the Spadina Extension is my #1 fantasy project, for exactly those reasons.
Though I'd run both Sheppard and University-Spadina trains on the extension, though at lower frequencies. I imagine that VMC<->Downtown will still be a more popular direction than VMC <-> Don Mills.

I wish they could take the sheppard subway one stop east into consumers Rd business park and then turn it south towards downtown. This will make it a very good line, doing an outter loop connecting downtown with the Eglinton business park on the crosstown, Lawrence and Don mills business park, consumers road, and NYCC.

While the Waterfront LRT may not be the highest priority transit project it makes a lot of sense to further refine plans at this time. The Ivanhoe Cambridge proposal for 45 Bay Street is approved. The City needs to clarify design of a Waterfront LRT around Yonge and Bay streets and the station in the basement of 45 Bay. My preference is an underground dog-leg from a surface LRT on Queens Quay that would go up Yonge to a station at 45 Bay Street then proceed along the existing Bay Street tunnel where it would resurface at Queens Quay.

Can the development of 45 Bay proceed without the LRT design clarified?

Interlining Sheppard and the Spadina Extension is my #1 fantasy project, for exactly those reasons.
Though I'd run both Sheppard and University-Spadina trains on the extension, though at lower frequencies. I imagine that VMC<->Downtown will still be a more popular direction than VMC <-> Don Mills.

Right - every other train would be downtown, every other train would be Don Mills... that would make A LOT of sense. I think this solves the Finch LRT lack of Yonge Street connection. My only problem with the above map is that if you live in the NW corner of the city you have no easy way to get cross-town. Totally agree its not a huge priority - but seems like we're creating a very E/W binary.

Glad to see King transit corridor on 6 year map, but shouldn't they be able to do Crosstown east & west extensions as well within the 6 year timeframe considering EAs are mostly done and it's a surface extension?

Back