Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I have no idea.

From Sheppard and Don Mills to Sheppard and McCowan for a subway I'm guessing it will be close to 3 billion. Let's say you have 1.3 billion for the LRT line, now you need an additional 1.7 billion for the subway. I don't see the province or federal government pitching in any huge amount. Most of that cost will have to be swallowed by the city.

Finch is even worse. That one will be more than 3 billion. If you take the 1 billion for the LRT, you still need over 2 billion.

From Sheppard and Don Mills to Sheppard and McCowan for a subway I'm guessing it will be close to 3 billion. Let's say you have 1.3 billion for the LRT line, now you need an additional 1.7 billion for the subway. I don't see the province or federal government pitching in any huge amount. Most of that cost will have to be swallowed by the city.

Finch is even worse. That one will be more than 3 billion. If you take the 1 billion for the LRT, you still need over 2 billion.

Those subways are not going to happen now. The province will not contribute more than what it already promised. The federal government cannot afford to send more cash to Toronto and keep the rest of the country waiting for transit goodies. The City Council, after narrowly approving a tax hike for Scarborough subway, will have no appetite for more tax hikes.

Those corridors either get LRT, or Hudak comes to power and cancels them altogether, directing the funds to deficit reduction and promising subways in indefinitely remote future.

Clowns like Mammoliti are so ignorant. I mean just listen to him speak. Are there no better candidates out there..

I'm less pessimistic about the demise of the Sheppard LRT. The only reason why we are even talking about it is because Ford overstepped his authority by proclaiming it "dead," and the province not having the balls to tell him to STFU. We also saw him try this with the waterfront with his megamall and ferris wheel scheme, but by then his political capital was all used up and the province put him in his place.

At this point, unless we discover oil or gold buried under city hall, the current Sheppard subway has a better chance to be converted to LRT than to see the subway go across to Scarborough.

I still don't understand why Finch couldn't just have a BRT a la York Region or Cleveland Healthline.

Are you saying Mammo is an idiot or that this set of engineers are idiots and the Transit City engineers are geniouses.

Mammoliti is just another subway blowhard with a bizarre pathological hatred for light rail (and facts). He would rather see nothing ever get build unless it's underground. As always, I have to ask where the hell is the money for that? And it's funny how he accuses the "inner city leaders" of having a "one-size fits-all" approach with lrt, when it's the suburban folks who are just as inflexible if not worse with their stupid subway or nothing ideology. As for that engineering report, I have to see it to believe it. No traffic lanes will be lost, so how the hell will this lead to calamity? Unless it's during construction, although that's a poor argument for building subways because subway construction is just as messy (see finch & keele). But I saw the new viva brt on highway 7 recently, didn't find any blighted businesses.

I'm less pessimistic about the demise of the Sheppard LRT. The only reason why we are even talking about it is because Ford overstepped his authority by proclaiming it "dead," and the province not having the balls to tell him to STFU. We also saw him try this with the waterfront with his megamall and ferris wheel scheme, but by then his political capital was all used up and the province put him in his place.

At this point, unless we discover oil or gold buried under city hall, the current Sheppard subway has a better chance to be converted to LRT than to see the subway go across to Scarborough.

If Hudak becomes premier, he will kill all light rail projects in this city and nothing will get build. Or he will redirect the funding from finch and sheppard toward completing the sheppard subway. Many people think he will never become premier, but all it takes is a few more liberal riding to go to the NDP, and the vote will be split in Hudak's favour. But I hope that won't happen.

Yeah, a councilor with no analytical skills whatsoever.

If Emery Village businesses are concerned about the trucks access, the logical response is to modify the relevant section of the LRT line, rather than shoot the whole project down.

Emery businesses are located on the north side of Finch, along a 1 km stretch from Weston to Milvan. They can ask to shift LRT tracks in that section to the south side of that stretch, so that the left-turning trucks are not blocked. Two residential streets on the south side of Finch can be guarded by crossing arms.

Or, they can ask to elevate that 1-km stretch of LRT. The trucks will make left turns using space between the support columns.

Finch West is predominantly residential; killing the whole LRT project because of a 1-km business stretch would be quite shortsighted.

Back