News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

Toronto's Other Skylines

I agree. It pales in comparison to the high-rise concentration that is NYCC and Yonge Street, that while essentially only runs along a single street, still manages to feel dense and populated by pedestrian and vehicular traffic. The high-rises are built in close enough proximity to one another with to form a true canyon, something that I SCC and MCC don't have. There is also great street level presence utilizing office, residential, retail, restaurants, shopping, and public spaces that are geared toward the pedestrian realm. It may not be as 'walkable' as a downtown, but it's got a pretty impressive street canyon that comes close to University Avenue in terms of density IMO.
It is interesting to compare our other skylines to skylines of American cities. I am sure you would find that many American cities with high-rises look something more like SCC and MCC, with an absence of a "walkable" downtown and developed pedestrian realm, as well as many many parking lots littered between highrises.

In that sense, NYCC is way ahead of the game of even most mid-range American cities.

RE: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2010/08/suburban-skylines-across-gta

Thanks for posting that. ... Pretty soon we will have a skyline in the Etobicoke City Centre with the redevelopment of the Six-Points interchange and the development of condos stretching from Islington to Cloverdale Mall along Dundas West.

Speaking of which, it's just about time for my quinquennial check-in with the Islington section of that skyline...

2005:

urbantoronto-4292-12938.jpg

2010:

urbantoronto-4292-12939.jpg

...and 2015:

122359264.jpg

North York skyline by someMidTowner in the Emerald Park Condos thread:

A few minutes ago:
ny2-jpg.53212

Lovely photo Midtowner.

Gotta say, Emerald Condos really defines North York's skyline. It would not be anywhere near as impressive without it. I wonder if that is how Absolute World will anchor Mississauga's skyline.

Thanks! I would say Absolute World already does that for the 'Sauga skyline. I'm sure I have a better photo but too lazy to look:

The UT team caught some great pictures during their recent tour of 1 Bloor East!

Especially impressive from that article is the view of Niagara Falls

17955-60207.jpg

But I think this below is my favorite view: :)

It covers the super-tall penthouse levels and the great views from up there. We have way more pics than we could fit in the story of course, and no doubt you'll see more soon in the thread. Here's one of mine we didn't use, rain about to hit Yonge and Eglinton:

Cheers!

dsc07487-jpg.57196

@Marcanadian's shot of Mississauga's skyline is also impressive.

22045220930_0138de8bda_b.jpg

Last edited:
I hope I don't create a redundant thread but I thought this would be a cool idea.

This thread is here to discuss and celebrate Toronto's other emerging skylines. They may not have the landmark CN Tower and Skydome to anchor their respective city centres, but they are nonetheless rapidly growing into formidable panoramic landscapes in their own right!

Excellent thread, WislaHD. Here are some of my own examples.

North York

23974762895_7795f60289_h.jpg

Yonge & Bloor

22961138639_02804ee3fa_h.jpg

23948660436_5f2c0e9dd6_h.jpg

King West

23433320685_c68027554a_h.jpg

Don Mills

City Place

High Park

Back