News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto's Gateway Project

Gathering6.jpg

Heh. Welcome to Toronto as you leave it. Is Mississauga and its strange superiority/inferiority complex going to one-up Toronto at this point to remind people that they're entering its airport?

Gathering6.jpg

Heh. Welcome to Toronto as you leave it. Is Mississauga and its strange superiority/inferiority complex going to one-up Toronto at this point to remind people that their entering its airport?

Yep, right behind these signs, Mississauga is erecting signs saying "Silly Toronto, You are now entering Mississauga!"

It would be funny if Mississauga tried something like that...

...but I'm not so sure they could: I believe the GTAA owns the highway (including the whole right-of-way) from the Toronto border, which runs down the west side of 427, all the way in to the airport. The GTAA wouldn't be interested in letting travelers know they are in Mississauga: in the past they moved the airport's phone numbers from the 905 area code to the 416.

Mississauga could find lots of other places to put up big welcoming artwork though. Let 'em. A little rivallry is always fun.

Maybe the poles are waving goodbye? It would be funny to have some massive hands waving goodbye on the top of them,lol.

why don't we just hire some polish people to stand there and wave?

This whole project needs major corporate tie-ins: the wavy things could be huge cigarettes, sponsored by Marlboro (Welcome to Toronto Country), or we could build giant mooses with Holstein markings, sponsored by Gateway Computers.

I think they'd be neat landmarks and a great branding opportunity. I don't care much for the 'Toronto' font (or colour). I kind of like the City's Toronto font.

Are these supposed to be vertical in zero wind situations? If so, why does that one rendering depict two clumps of the poles, each leaning towards the other?

I don't expect it will be like a gracefully swaying field of wheat. From what I understand they will individually wobble and wiggle every which way since their sizes are different.

They could easily be adapted for Pride: long ... tendrils ... beckoning visitors who cab it downtown from Pearson.

Back