News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto's Gateway Project

Also, I would like to see more displays of tasteful and artistic grafitti works around the city in areas where they would work well. Examples where they have worked well would be Queen West, Kensington, and the view from the Bloor subway line between Keele and High Park.

^I would agree, but maybe with imagery that goes beyond the blandly bucolic.

^I would agree, but maybe with imagery that goes beyond the blandly bucolic.

it would be cool if they painted what was on the other side of the highway :eek:

"Gathering" Landmark for Toronto

Has this artwork been discussed here before? I don't recall. Anyways, figured I'd post some pictures of the project and a few details in case it wasn't discussed at length or at all.

Sweeny Sterling Finlayson &Co Architects design a remarkable new landmark named “Gathering†for the City of Toronto.Gathering represents Toronto’s history, diversity, flexibility and strength. Arriving in Toronto from the Pearson International Airport is a less than memorable experience. That might soon change with the new striking landmark design by Sweeny Sterling Finlayson &Co Architects (&Co), one of the most ambitious projects initiated by the city’s Clean and Beautiful City Program. By day, Gathering will have the appearance of a beautiful grove of sinuous masts swaying in the wind in an inviting manner. At night, the masts are illuminated from within by lights that slowly change colour based on environmental conditions near the site. Described as “ephemeralâ€, Gathering’s lighting changes colour due to movement of the masts, surrounding ambient noise, and local weather conditions. Electrical power for the lighting is supplied by a combination of on-site solar panels and power generated from the motion of the masts themselves. Located at the interchange of Dixon Road and Highway 427 near Toronto Pearson International Airport, the site was one of three landmark locations identified by the Clean and Beautiful City Initiative. About 80,000 passengers pass the site every day. Toronto Pearson International Airport is Canada’s largest airport and for many people represents the Gateway to Canada. Gathering is a marker that tells the story of Toronto in a contemporary language. On many levels, Toronto is recognized as a gathering of people whose diversity, flexibility and strength create a great city. Tracing its native and historical roots, the name is derived from the Mohawk word Tkaronto, which means where there are trees standing in the water, and the Huron word toronton which means place of meetings, plenty or abundance. Toronto remains to be a meeting place through its multiethnicity, being one of only three cities in the world without a dominant ethnic or cultural group.

And then there's this from the &Co Architect website (http://www.andco.com/

&Co

Gather is a design for a major landmark for the entrance to Toronto - commissioned as part of the Toronto's Clean and Beautiful City Initiative. Conceived as a moment to celebrate the entrance to a world class city, Gathering is a forest of light masts that bend and sway gently in the wind. The light masts are up to 40 meters high making Gathering a striking feature during the day and at night. At night the masts are illuminated with coloured lights that represent the psyche of the city. By day Gathering will have the appearance of a beautiful grove of sinuous masts swaying in the wind in an inviting manner.

Gathering is a marker that tells the story of Toronto in a contemporary language. In many ways Toronto can be seen as a gathering of people whose diversity, flexibility and strength combine to create the greate city we live in. Internationally, landmarks are becoming incresingly lighter, less monumental, and more interactive. Gathering uses light, colour, movement, interaction, and multiplicty to create a welcoming field. Gathering, like Toronto, is strong: it is flexible and sways with the wind rather than fights it. Gathering, like Toronto, is multicultural: it is colourful, diverse, interactive, communicative and multiple. Gathering is comprised of hundreds of masts that are each donated by a separate donor representing our City's strength in working together.

The field of masts in Gathering evokes a forest or grove of trees. Left to its own devices the climate of Toronto would allow forest to cover the landscape. The city straddles the transition between two of the four major latitudinal bands of vegetation in Ontario: the southernmost deciduous zone or Carolinian Zone and the mixed forest region, or Great Lakes St. Lawrence Zone. What is left of Toronto's natural forests is largely confined to the city's ravine systems. By evoking a forest or grove the sinuous swaying of Gathering celebrates Toronto's natural subconscious.

Gathering at night.
Gathering1.jpg

And at day
Gathering2.jpg

The cross section gives an idea of how massive the art piece is.
Gathering3.jpg

The height and sway of the tube is depicted. It think it says 3.5m for sway.
Gathering4.jpg

Gathering5.jpg

Welcome to Toronto!
Gathering6.jpg

Gathering7.jpg

Gathering8.jpg

I like these and think they're a great idea. Some pretty cool tourist items.
Gathering9.jpg

A sample of things to come on your drive to Toronto from the Airport.
Gathering10.jpg

Gathering11.jpg

Looks nice...these could look pretty cool on the Lakeshore just after you exit the Gardiner. That way you don't have to be in a car to appreciate them.

I saw the &Co presentation panel at the OAA during Doors Open (they were nominated for the OAA awards), but even though I like the gateway idea, I'm not impressed by their designs for the gateway. When coloured, the tubes look like undersea tubeworms, and when uncoloured they look too much like the light masts that we already have on 400-series highways in the GTA. Some people might like it, but not me.

pogo1.gif

I like them. Kinda sci-fi. A whole bunch of these creepy wiggly things popping up around town, putting the fear of God in the tourists, and we'd sure rebrand the old town - ROM Crystal be damned.

Back