Toronto Yorkville Village (was Hazelton Lanes) | ?m | ?s | First Capital | Kasian

…except that the equivalent here would be Yorkville Village Centre, and it's missing the last part of that.

What about Bayview VILLAGE??? The official name may be Bayview Village Shopping Centre, but no one calls it that. Ever.

What about Bayview VILLAGE??? The official name may be Bayview Village Shopping Centre, but no one calls it that. Ever.

Good point. Mind you, I often associate the word "village" with Yorkville, but I don't associate the word with the area around Bayview And Sheppard. So the Yorkville mall seems to me to be co-opting the name of the neighbourhood in a way that the Bayview mall is not. But that's just my two cents - others may disagree.

Except that is the official name.

Another difference, from my POV is the annoying repetition of "vill" in Yorkville Village. It sounds more like a stutter than a name, as the appendage "ville" connotes village already. No point in repeating it, it's clumsy.

Except that is the official name.

Another difference, from my POV is the annoying repetition of "vill" in Yorkville Village. It sounds more like a stutter than a name, as the appendage "ville" connotes village already. No point in repeating it, it's clumsy.

Well, considering it is just off Avenue Road...clumsiness seems to be endemic.

AoD

Good point. Mind you, I often associate the word "village" with Yorkville, but I don't associate the word with the area around Bayview And Sheppard. So the Yorkville mall seems to me to be co-opting the name of the neighbourhood in a way that the Bayview mall is not. But that's just my two cents - others may disagree.

Actually, there *IS* (or *WAS*) a Bayview Mall. It's on Bayview, south of Cummer. I haven't been up there in a few years, but remember it as being a bit cr@ppy and really a place for middle and high school aged kids to hang out (at the Harvey's) back in the late 80s/early 90s. I was in elementary school at the Catholic school near there.

When my parents say they were shopping at Bayview Village I always think they were at the mall...but they mean they were on the retail strip below Eglinton.

I suppose we're lucky they didn't call it Yorkville Torontocity.

When 10 Dundas E. was named Toronto Life Square right next to Yonge-Dundas Square I thought that was strange...but this Yorkville Village naming is even more bizarre. It is certainly going to be confusing.

To be contrarian - I think Yorkville Village is what First Capital is branding as their broader holdings in Yorkville (i.e. the old Hazelton Lanes) AND their street front retail along Yorkville Avenue (essentially the entire north side of the street from Flo's Diner to just east of Hazelton Ave). In that regard the branding as Yorkville Village isn't that out there...

You're not being contrarian in regards to what you're reporting. You're right on in that regard: the name Yorkville Village refers to more than just the Hazelton Lanes mall, in fact it refers to all of First Capital's holdings in the area. That probably works best for their retailers, to whom they can say "We can give you exposure on Yorkville Avenue, or there are the interim mall locations", etc., but I don't think it's clear for shoppers.

"Where's TNT?"
"In Yorkville Village."
"I know it's in Yorkville. Where in Yorkville?"
…and potentially on and on.

PS:
"It's in the old Hazelton Lanes."
"Well then why didn't you just say Hazelton Lanes?"
"Because it's not called that anymore."
"What's it called now?"
"Yorkville Village"
Silence.
"It's called Yorkville Village now. Don't hate the messenger."