Toronto Yorkville Village (was Hazelton Lanes) | ?m | ?s | First Capital | Kasian

Rolls-Royce has vacated their Hazelton Lanes / Avenue Rd. location.
Perhaps Roy's Rolls will take its place...
20080215_DavidNeilson.jpg

I heard it from an "inside" source;) Wholefoods is actively hunting for an Annex location--Honest Ed's? I'm talking about a 3-5 year time frame here.

Not Honest Ed's? Has there been speculation that Honest Ed's might come to an end?

From what I recall, Honest Ed's has about 160,000 square feet. Whole Foods stores are generally in the 40,000 - 60,000 sq ft range, with a few as large as 80,000 square feet. So it obviously wouldn't take the entire Honest Ed's store, which is a good thing.

Living in Vancouver now, the exterior of Honest Ed's is one of my favorite Toronto visuals. That, and the red streetcars, the CN tower, Sam the Record Man's spinning sign, the St. Lawrence Market, Kensington Market, and others...

Any new developments for Hazelton Lanes? Not sure where that mall is headed.

People still go there....for Whole Foods.

Aquascutum and Marc Laurent in Hazelton Lanes have closed.

Other than Whole Foods and maybe TNT, I don't know how retailers at Hazelton Lanes survives. Every time I go there (almost always on weekends) most of the place is practically empty and I can imagine the rent there is high.

Hell i have shopped there a week before Christmas, every mall in the city was a mad house and Hazelton lanes was practically empty. I think the only Aquascutum store left in Canada is in Montreal. :(

Hell i have shopped there a week before Christmas, every mall in the city was a mad house and Hazelton lanes was practically empty. I think the only Aquascutum store left in Canada is in Montreal. :(

I think Hazelton Lanes shopping won't be around 5 years out. It's too far away from Bloor street and lost it's mojo about 20 years ago. When it was built and for about 10 years afterwards, it was the place to promenade and shop. They market themselves weakly, if at all.

I think Hazelton Lanes shopping won't be around 5 years out. It's too far away from Bloor street and lost it's mojo about 20 years ago. When it was built and for about 10 years afterwards, it was the place to promenade and shop. They market themselves weakly, if at all.

People pretty much go there for Whole Foods. If Whole Foods moves to a different location (is it going to?), then yes, I agree it'll be the end of Hazelton Lanes. Once all the big named shops moved out to Bloor, I knew it was the end of it.

I miss the old skating rink, too.

Yeah, Whole Foods is moving. Probably to the corner of Bloor and Bathurst, whenever Dishonest Ed's is bull-dozed....

The place is toast, then. When shoppers stopped going to Village by the Grange, they turned the shopping area into ground level condos and retained just a basic truncation of a mall with a food court. Tnis latter survives only because of OCAD; at least to my thinking.

They can't raze Hazleton because of all the condos upstairs. I wonder if there are many executive rentals there anymore? When I worked for Olivetti, all the Italian expat execs would have units there.

prosperegal: I forgot about the rink. My daughter loved it.

Last edited:

Back