Toronto York University: Bergeron Centre (Lassonde School) | ?m | ?s | York University | ZAS Architects

AlbertC:

That's a really, really tacky quote - almost surpassing William Thorsell's opus about how the Libeskind addition "kisses" the original heritage buildings. Yikes.

AoD

The remaining text becomes even more bizarre. Sounds like a promo for a secret utopian society.

Anyways, it states that the new building will open in 2015. Meaning construction will likely have to begin later this year (if not already).

Construction is slowly getting started. I go to York. The building is going to be behind Scott library facing the pond. It'll be adjacent to the parking deck and near walking distance to the health,nursing, environmental science building (HNES).

Not too long ago, there was a conference/lecture introducing Lassonde to the YorkU community. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

It looks great and should be another impressive addition to the campus. The Life Sciences Building and the Pond Road Residence have some of the most striking facades of the New Modern movement in the whole city. York University has achieved some excellent contemporary architecture. The concern I have is that a lot of their buildings do nothing to animate the streets and walkways that surround them. They have long, sterile expanses of glass at ground level. The ground level facades should be opened up as much as possible with some cafes, patios and lounge spaces for students. The streets and walkways of York's campus shouldn't reflect the sterility of the suburban neighbourhoods around it. I think they cut corners in this regard or simply aren't familiar with this issue because the people who oversee this stuff probably drive in everyday and live a suburban lifestyle.

Last edited:
WOW! All the universities seem to be stepping it up, in terms of architecture. I think I like this one better than the new Ryerson building, on Yonge. (from what I can see in that rendering)

Snapped this on the way to my convocation this morning.

IMG_5141.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5141.JPG
    IMG_5141.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,345
ZAS Architects have supplied us with some recent photos of the project, and we popped them into a front page story that you can read here. I'm really looking forward to getting a look at this place myself.

Back