Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

I know, but it's based on a tangent. Bloor and Islington isn't exactly around the corner from Yonge and Eglinton.

Does your friend have any info regarding the retail expansion project at YEC?

Thanks!

I guarantee he does and next time I see him I will be sure to ask. I think when he said the whole thing was such a mess right now, he was including (or more likely talking about) the retail expansion, more than the height increases, but either way I will definitely ask about the retail specifically next time I see him.

Cheers!

Existing condition May 03

IMG_may-03-09-0223.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0219.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0210.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0228.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0293.jpg

This is the neighbourhood that had the big fight over Minto Midtown a few years ago. An effort was made to avoid another fight like that, by enacting the 40 storey limit.

Like i said before 40 storeys means nothing in height, there are 40 storey/1000 foot supertalls going up in other parts of the world.

I've sat in enough community meetings. Density is almost always a much larger concern than height. Height, in most cases, is just a visual by-product of density.

40 storeys in still very tall. Well, maybe not in the last few years but those were hardly ordinary. Our affordability is reflected by small units on large floorplates which translate into 400+ units over 40 storeys. It just seems there are too many developers, too much competition for the market over the next decade or two (or whenever the next real estate spec boom comes) to absorb many towers of this size.

Last edited:
Like i said before 40 storeys means nothing in height, there are 40 storey/1000 foot supertalls going up in other parts of the world.:confused:
You'll have a hard time selling that idea to many people, including many of those on this forum who are certainly not "anti"-tall buildings. There are appropriate places for them, and inappropriate places for them. 1000 feet is quite appropriate at Bay and King. 40 storeys is probably about as high as you'd want to go at Yonge and Eg. Remember, there are two-storey single-family houses literally within two minutes walk of that corner.

40 storeys seems quite reasonable to me, recognizing both an established high-rise character of the area, as well as the fact that it has low-rise residential areas. It's a good workable compromise, to (hopefully) avoid fights going forward, like the one that really caused dissension in this neighbourhood about five years ago.

Last edited:
You'll have a hard time selling that idea to many people, including many of those on this forum who are certainly not "anti"-tall buildings. There are appropriate places for them, and inappropriate places for them. 1000 feet is quite appropriate at Bay and King. 40 storeys is probably about as high as you'd want to go at Yonge and Eg. Remember, there are two-storey single-family houses literally within two minutes walk of that corner.

Not once did i mention that i would like to see a supertall in that intersection, im just stating that a 40 storey building can come in various heights.

Although if Toronto worked like some East Asian metropolii, Yonge + Eg wouldn't be implausible at all for a 1000'+ supertall...

Back