Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

CoruCogno - 1974.

I've always wanted to make a list of all the buildings in the city that had floors added. I believe that Interchange is correct, that if built these would be the highest starting point for new floors built on any building in Toronto. A bit of an arcane distinction, to be sure.

CoruCogno - 1974.

I've always wanted to make a list of all the buildings in the city that had floors added. I believe that Interchange is correct, that if built these would be the highest starting point for new floors built on any building in Toronto. A bit of an arcane distinction, to be sure.

And all the odder for not necessarily obviously being planned for more floors in the first place. (Hospitals are different.)

Another noteworthy case of added floors: the old Shell building at 505 University--originally built 1958, doubled in height around 1965. (The added floors can be seen under construction in the background in vintage photos of New City Hall.)

Yet another: 920 Yonge--the condo floors were built atop the office floors in the 80s...

As I've mentioned before, the Network Lofts in Etobicoke (Bell Building) was added onto twice - eight originally in 1972, four more in 1978, and a single extra floor last year.

Here it is from Towered's Etobicoke Development thread in the City Photos section, posted on march 27th 2008.

Mar26-08068.jpg

The new addition was added after this photo was taken.

Last edited:
not a big addition but...

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-37.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

courtesy of Mustapha.

When it comes to older edifices, the 30s Hydro Building on University was built in two stages (the setback upper storeys came later); and the Whitney Block tower postdated Whitney Block by a few years. And the former Crown Trust building at 302 Bay (next door to the FCP BMO banking pavilion) was "skyscrapered" around 1930. And then there's the Manulife HQ at 200 Bloor E, where the 20s classicism of Sproatt & Rolph was later surelevated by, among other things, the most Mussolini-esque dead sky portico in town...

Talked to my friend from the 'can. (RIOCAN) He works in their valuation department and also deals with leases up at Lawrence sq. He said the YEC is a mess right now, and the office componant will be a while as there are a lot of issues still to be resolved. (air rights, etc)

I didn't ask him for timelines, but suffice to say it will not happen right away...

CHeers,

Mike

Talked to my friend from the 'can. (RIOCAN) He works in their valuation department and also deals with leases up at Lawrence sq. He said the YEC is a mess right now, and the office componant will be a while as there are a lot of issues still to be resolved. (air rights, etc)

I didn't ask him for timelines, but suffice to say it will not happen right away...

CHeers,

Mike

Does your friend have any info regarding the retail expansion project at YEC?

Thanks!

Network Lofts - March 22 2009

The 'extension' to create the now completed Network Lofts indeed looks decent ~ :)

IMG_3557.jpg

Back