Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Does anyone else find it increasingly odd that in contrast to Minto and Tridel, among others, Great Gulf Homes seems to plan and promote projects with no emphasis on energy efficiency?

X2 is expected to achieve some level of LEED status. Probably LEED Certified or LEED Silver but the City appears to be leading them into that direction. It is a shame more developers don't attempt Silver or Gold so your point is well taken.

Last edited:
Nov 8

IMG_nov-08-09-0118.jpg

IMG_nov-08-09-0123.jpg

IMG_nov-08-09-0129.jpg

IMG_nov-08-09-0137.jpg

IMG_nov-08-09-0139.jpg

What Tridel and Minto are doing for the environment? Marketing gimicks. Ask any decent Toronto architect their opinion on Tridel's green hype...:rolleyes:

Obtaining LEED Gold is no small feat - it is much much more difficult then silver and goes well beyond marketing hype in terms of the building systems and technology utilized in the structures – the cost of the paper-work, consulting, verification etc alone is close to a couple thousand a door – and that is before any actual building system enhancements are put in. Going this route on a building, let alone all the new buildings in a company portfolio is a major initiative from the corporate office, right down to how trades on site deal with things such a waste, vapour barrier installation etc., and is a significant challenge.

Tridel also has some fairly innovative technologies that connect all of their new and recently completed projects building electrical, HVAC and mechanical systems to monitor everything and make minor or major adjustments. Tridel is an industry leader and are really pushing the green envelop - the best thing about that for us Torontonians is that they aren't a small niche bit player, but are also producing in high volumes. They’ve also invested into various research/innovation type projects to be ahead of the curve in terms of product development, introduction and implementation. Minto is also really leading the charge as well and their entire corporate culture has really grabbed onto the 'green' theme.

Both these companies are not about a marketing gimmick or green wash - they've both embraced green building and equate it not just to building ‘green’, but building a better product. Obviously marketing comes into play, but these companies should be congratulated and encouraged rather than mocked to continue to make the strides that they are making, as they produce the kind of volume and the kinds of structures within our built environment that can make a significant difference. We need more private companies to demonstrate leadership and take real initiative to go beyond marketing gimmicks and make real investments in green and energy efficient technology that can be adopted on a broad and affordable scale. The two particular companies you attacked in your post are two that are doing some quality work in this realm vs some others that are either doing nothing but the bare minimum or are using green as a gimmick.

add to that list of "green" builders ... Menkes

My intent wasn't to "attack" the developers. Building green to me means using green technologies from the ground up--including environmentally friendly earth moving equipment, dump trucks, cars and vehicles for staff/contractors, organic building materials, etc. Anything else simply isn't really green enough.

One structure or two separate structures?

I think there are two separate structures as well...based on looking at the floorplans, the podium has units facing west (which would directly face the east side of the high rise structure). Any thoughts anyone?

I find it odd that X2 seems comprised of two separate structures, with west-facing windows in the podium staring into east-facing ones in the high rise. Based on the rendering, X2 appears to be a duplicate of X, with a mini-X (sub X?) beside it.

I think there are two separate structures as well...based on looking at the floorplans, the podium has units facing west (which would directly face the east side of the high rise structure). Any thoughts anyone?

The rooftop of the podium is the pool and deck which flows out from the Amenity floor of the tower (9th)

I think however, that is the only part that is connected...kind of like a bridge...I wonder how much room will be between the two structures. I personally think the higher podium really takes away from the actual high rise structure.

The rooftop of the podium is the pool and deck which flows out from the Amenity floor of the tower (9th)

It looks like the structures (the structure) is connected

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Thanks for that bud, puts that one to rest. Made no sense that it would be two structures, so the render suggests a recess, as I said earlier, perhaps signaling the point of entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone seen floorplans for the east side podium?
only the tower plans have been floating around.

It's nice to see some variation over X. One aspect of the T-D Centre I wish the developer would have been inspired by is the sleekness of not having a mechanical structure on the roof.

Back