Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Yeah, one 75s/250 meter bldg. would be nice....but would KWT and the community accept that in return for a larger park?

I think the community would gladly accept a higher tower (it's an appropriate location) in exchange for more parkland - I know I would. I'd really like to see a proposal with Breadalbane Street closed between the Opera Place parking lot entrances and St. Luke Lane for continuity of green space.

It's a rezoning exercise, nothing more. What will be built will not resemble this.

Why go through this whole process then? Why not bring something closer to what is intended in the end? Why spend the money, time and effort with these initial drawings?

It's cheaper to hire a full-service firm to do this initial work than it would a design firm. It's likely that there already is another firm working on the 'end product' but as that / those schemes are incomplete, Lanterra still wants to get their application in and processed as quickly as possible.

I think the community would gladly accept a higher tower (it's an appropriate location) in exchange for more parkland - I know I would. I'd really like to see a proposal with Breadalbane Street closed between the Opera Place parking lot entrances and St. Luke Lane for continuity of green space.

+1

I was at a community meeting with KWT present a few months back and during that meeting this idea was floated around. I think a partial closure of Breadalbane for parkland would be and excellent idea! The residents would love it, the city would love it, and closing it won't add to congestion.

Can we send Lanterra to Scarborough for a while? Not looking forward to another glass tower similar to the multitudes they have or will put up downtown.

Let's just hope we don't get this crap:
u6pnFvI.jpg

As much of that site as possible should be parkland (all of it actually) I would hope that saner minds would lead them to a one tower design.

Are you sure?

Why would the prelim report show two towers?

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE25.63

Not to beat a dead horse, but to be very clear: the reason the preliminary report shows two towers is because that is what was submitted to the City. Until there is a new submission, that's all the Planning Department has and they are required to respond with this report.

After the submission was made Kristyn Wong-Tam announced that Lanterra had already agreed to explore a different plan that would put all of the density into one tower, freeing up land for a much larger park. On Wednesday, June 19 at the Y it is the modified proposal that I hope we will be considering, and not the two-tower one. Remember, they have released that placeholder one tower rendering of the site in the meantime.

Not to beat a dead horse, but to be very clear: the reason the preliminary report shows two towers is because that is what was submitted to the City. Until there is a new submission, that's all the Planning Department has and they are required to respond with this report.

After the submission was made Kristyn Wong-Tam announced that Lanterra had already agreed to explore a different plan that would put all of the density into one tower, freeing up land for a much larger park. On Wednesday, June 19 at the Y it is the modified proposal that I hope we will be considering, and not the two-tower one. Remember, they have released that placeholder one tower rendering of the site in the meantime.

In retrospect I was being more pugnacious than necessary; you are just the messenger after all.

Lanterra has not been kind to the neighborhood between falling glass at Murano & Burano, 501 Yonge ongoing back and forth, the soon to be loss of the Sutton Place 50s facade to be replaced by suburban dreck at $800 sq ft and now this initial submission to the city just feels like another great disappointment.

Lanterra has not been kind to the neighborhood between falling glass at Murano & Burano, 501 Yonge ongoing back and forth, the soon to be loss of the Sutton Place 50s facade to be replaced by suburban dreck at $800 sq ft and now this initial submission to the city just feels like another great disappointment.

It WILL be one tower with a cool looking park at its base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Community meeting with the developer, tonight from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the YMCA Auditorium, 20 Grosvenor Street.

Community meeting with the developer, tonight from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the YMCA Auditorium, 20 Grosvenor Street.

Just snuck a peek at the meeting and it does indeed look like they are going with a single tower design with 2/3 of the site as parkland (south + north-west). Looked really nice actually. Let's hope they go tall!

Back