Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I wouldn't go that far, PATH is a distinction no other city has....well, in scale at least. I've been to only one other, in Montreal, but their 'PATH' has so much more going for it. Ours is never open outside of business hours, which seems like such a waste. In Montreal, theirs is full of shops and restaurants that are open to the public on weekends and after business hours, and just seems more practical. Personally, because of my ill health, walking out in the cold is just no possible, so I do enjoy walking through the PATH, just to get out of the house, and get a little exercise, without having to face the cold, which can lead to much trouble for me. That being said, I can easily see it being connected from Queens Quay all the way up to Yonge and Bloor, and perhaps, one day, to Eglington. With so little space left to build, I can see new PATH extensions as a way to increase stores, theatres, and other vital necessities, to keep up with the ever increase growth in the core. Not sure how many of you have lived their entire lives here, but I can remember a time, back in the 80's, when places like the Eatons Center were totally empty on weekends, especially Sunday's. But now, with so many now living down here, it's crammed packed every day of the week, and we could really use extra stores, including grocery stores, to satisfy the growing demand for services that are currently at their breaking point, but, that's just me.

I agree with you that we need more grocery stores downtown, except that all new condo kitchens are designed as merely showpieces and aren't very functional. Pouring milk into cereal or heating up a microwave dinner doesn't count as 'cooking'.

At the same time, lots of people living downtown appear to eat out a lot - the gamut including fast food, mid to high-end restos, muffins and biscotti's on the run... less and less people make time to properly cook their own meals in their own kitchens. I suspect these "toy kitchens" are reflective of that change - not necessarily the cause of it.

Yes - probably that's true. If it's not true then these teeny, tiny designed kitchens force people to eat out lol!

PATH is an urban planning abomination.

I disagree. It's great that you can walk from the condo to the office tower without stepping outdoors in inclement weather. That means leaving the coat and boots at home on at least some workdays in the winter. PATH means a higher standard of living.

PATH is an urban planning abomination.
The PATH is amazing in the winter. Last February (which was the coldest February on record), I was able to stay warm since both my condo and office are PATH connected. Higher standard of living for sure.

what is with the obsession with PATH? sure its neat, does it really have to extend everywhere? get some fresh air.
After living in a building connected to the underground walkways at Bloor, I don't think I could ever live in a building not connected to the subway, grocery stores, post office, etc. I'd like to move into a newer/bigger place soon, but am holding off until I can find something that is PATH connected. Being able to grocery shop, go to the post office, go to the movies, etc. in the winter without having to deal with -20 weather is amazing. I actually prefer walking outside and never use the PATH in the summer, but it's great for cold weather.

I agree with you that we need more grocery stores downtown, except that all new condo kitchens are designed as merely showpieces and aren't very functional. Pouring milk into cereal or heating up a microwave dinner doesn't count as 'cooking'.

I cook full meals on my "condo kitchen". You don't need 10,000 linear feet of counter space to cook effectively. As long as it has a fridge, oven, and sink, it works.

I'll pick up on two threads of discussion here--

A bigger kitchen certainly makes cooking more pleasant, but ultimately if you have at least 24 square inches of counter space, a fridge, stove and oven, the sky is the limit. I've been cooking in a small apartment kitchen for years; it's all about pure will. And on the note of eating out, it saddens me that so many of us are too busy to cook for ourselves anymore. That just strikes me as unbalanced.

As for the PATH, I personally love it. I've walked I think every path/corridor in it, and I just think it's amazing that there's a 'city beneath the city.' It's awesomely urban.

Why not embrace the cold and marvel at its mighty power? John Muir would climb a tree in the middle of a severe storm, just so he could feel what it was like for a tree to experience and endure such brutality.

Last edited:
No doubt the PATH is extremely useful for those who frequent it. But sometimes, just sometimes, its denizens of the deep remind me of the Morlocks from H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.

And yes, you can cook great meals in very small spaces. Like Miscreant, I find it a shame that our society appears to be moving away from home-cooked meals. I'm thinking it's about expedient solutions in an ever faster-surging lifestyle, rigorously-scheduled as it is. Too, dining out also has its social component. You get to meet more people when you're out and about.

The worst is seeing a big, 900 sqft 2 bedroom + den with a tiny linear kitchen. I immediately discounted those units when I was looking for a place. No at all functional. Some of these kitchens are built for preparing snacks, not cooking an actual meal.

Feb 1 More up on site
24692054202_2bb37423c8_b.jpg

24809908935_aa550778ec_b.jpg

24809914335_0b5bd26b3a_b.jpg

24716447981_83e396600d_b.jpg

24692078632_6437e78959_b.jpg

24783588936_745d522e48_b.jpg

24783595086_7d8351c0aa_b.jpg

24514333090_55feb9ae12_b.jpg

24181712434_10a5f976f7_b.jpg

Back