Toronto Wallace Walk Towns | ?m | 4s | The Somerset Group | KFA

I haven't given much thought (or inquired with our lawyer yet) as to how to quantify the damage. But I'd like to think there would be atleast some compensation in terms of impact on the enjoyment of the property (versus just a measurement of property value). When light into a unit is at a premium (as reflected by the number of windows a given unit has), reducing that light has to mean something. The builder recognizes the "value" of light to some extent as reflected in the varying prices of the same unit depending on whether it faces south or the total number of window, for example. I'm pretty sure (?) that units (of the same type) were priced differerently where one is located in the interior of a building (no east/west windows) versus one located on a corner. Granted, the number of windows would not be the only reason for a price difference, but its more than likely that it would be one of them. After all, if the builder can make money off of a "feature", it will. So conversely, buyers should be compensated where that valueable feature is taken away.

Most purchase and sale agreements are vague and therefore account for these types of changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if legally you are not entitled to any form of compensation.

A lawyer once told me that condominium purchase agreements are generally so loosely written that legally this type of change is permitted.

I found this article fairly quickly... I guess it would be up to a judge to decide if losing a window would substantially diminish your 'enjoyment' of the unit.
https://www.reminetwork.com/articles/defining-material-changes-in-new-condos/

'The Ontario Superior Court of Justice (SCJ) has said in case law that alterations that substantially change a purchaser’s anticipated use and enjoyment of a unit are material changes.

The SCJ has found a material change, for example, where a loft space in a unit could no longer be built as specified in the original plans due to permit issues.

The SCJ has also said that there is no material change where there is no loss of the purchaser’s investment value, or depreciation in income in the case of a rental/investment property. In particular, it found in one case that changes in access to underground walkways and overall building height (in terms of floors, where it was reduced from 70 to 60 floors) did not constitute material changes.'

Thanks Smokeychow. Appreciate the quick feedback. Definitely something to consider.

... then again, maybe I'll be happy with less light in my unit so I won't have to look at my upgraded stairs that don't match with my upgraded hardwood floors, overpriced appliances which Torbel bought in bulk from Appliance Canada and sold to me for the same price I could have gotten if I went to Appliance Canada myself, and my 1970s inspired bathroom sink which is a perfect match to my McDonald's/scary gas station bathroom faucet. (I won't mention my "vintage" washer/dryer since I can just close the door and pretend I actually got something that isn't embarrassing.) Thanks Torbel, you're the best!

Wally, thanks for making me laugh!

But you all brought up good points, about the sun light is a selling point now we get less, but yeah maybe we should all get together and help inspect our units too :)

After exchanging few emails with the builder this is the conclusion: the builder made a mistake with prices and after they realized it (about 2 weeks) they increased them. Would you believe that???!

According to them: "As I'm sure you can appreciate, human error exists."

What can we do guys...let's all appreciate that human error exists!! In a normal world, usually I make a mistake and I pay for it. Well according to Torbel it doesn't work like that. They made a mistake, WE PAY for it!!

In the end, some people got reasonable prices others got absurd prices. Call it discrimination? According to them not! So we call bad luck!:confused:

Never heard things like that from a builder. Things can happen during the construction process, but such behavior is hard to "appreciate" and understand.

I wonder what In2uition thinks about this situation. Should they care of what they are selling? Maybe I'm confused of what exactly is their role! :rolleyes:

Read through all these posts and sorry but I'm not understanding your post.

Why would they pay for their mistake, when they can change the prices whenever they want? You're not paying for their mistake either...You're paying what you should have paid. It's not that you got bad luck, it's that the people who paid less, got good luck. lol

Why would they pay for their mistake, when they can change the prices whenever they want? You're not paying for their mistake either...You're paying what you should have paid. It's not that you got bad luck, it's that the people who paid less, got good luck. lol

1st post hmmm? Something smells fishy.

It seems you are the only one not understanding...

But Im sure you purchased as well so not sure why you won't understand! LOL

Welcome to the forum, Torbel! What took you so long? :)

Has anyone approached Appliance Canada to upgrade their appliances? ...instead of going through the builder.

Passed by the site yesterday. The first two blocks off Wallace are pretty much completely bricked. They also started framing the interior walls in these two blocks. Bricking on the second row of blocks of Wallace has begun.

WHITE front door?

Visited the site yesterday. It looks like the first front door has been installed. It's on a P3. The door has the glass window as depicted in the exterior renderings, but it is white. An odd design choice given the dark grey door frame and grey brick. It doesn't look good in my opinion. I'm hoping this is just some sort of temporary door (but it doesn't really make sense to have a glass temporary door) or they intend on painting the door (that also doesn't make sense since it'd be easier to paint a door before it is installed). Maybe someone else has some better insight?

Back