Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

There is a whole different thread relating to the train shed. I'm merely suggesting this discussion would be better suited there.

Point taken - though the nature of the beast is that future work in one almost by default will involve the other. It's an unsatisfying forum administrative division that mirrored reality,

AoD

There is a whole different thread relating to the train shed. I'm merely suggesting this discussion would be better suited there.
Ah, I see what you mean.

Train shed and track upgrades — https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...shed-replacement-track-upgrades-zeidler.3222/

Electrification — https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/go-transit-electrification-metrolinx-proposed.20729/

Presumably wider platforms is part of the train shed and track upgrades? Or is it https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-platform-renumbering-and-signage.7592/

Maybe we need another Union thread? (no! :) )

@insertrealname might be partially if not fully correct as per (gist) 'widening existing stairs' or not.
My understanding of that project is that it is not expected to re-arrange stairs or anything.. they are simply going to be closing tracks and infilling them at platform level.

Here's the latest that I can find from Metrolinx on the next changes at Union:
Starting next year, we’re making improvements at the platform level to give you more efficient, frequent and comfortable GO service. These include:

• Building a new platform to reduce overcrowding during peak hours and add more train capacity to the station
  • Widening existing platforms
  • Constructing a roof structure over the new platform to protect you and GO equipment from the weather
  • Constructing a pedestrian concourse area below the new platform to improve circulation through the station
  • Installing an improved emergency power system to keep our services running during a power outage
This work will require future boarding adjustments that may affect how you get to your train. We’ll keep you informed about any impacts to your journey.

To get updates sent directly to your inbox or phone, sign up for On the GO alerts at onthegoalerts.gotransit.com.

Updated Feb. 5, 2019

Conspicuously missing are the "escalators" up to the platforms as well as Verster's reference to the existing stairways being widened.

Here's one of many up-to-date sites that mentions a lot of the scheduled detail, but no mention of the 'widened staircases' or 'escalators'.

The Law of Diminishing Reality (apologies to Utility) once again appears to be at play.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you mean.

Train shed and track upgrades — https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...shed-replacement-track-upgrades-zeidler.3222/

Electrification — https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/go-transit-electrification-metrolinx-proposed.20729/

Presumably wider platforms is part of the train shed and track upgrades? Or is it https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-platform-renumbering-and-signage.7592/

Maybe we need another Union thread? (no! :) )
I don't think this is the correct thread to discuss the union station threads in. ;)

Point taken - though the nature of the beast is that future work in one almost by default will involve the other. It's an unsatisfying forum administrative division that mirrored reality,

AoD
Now if only we could tag each individual post and have a single Union Station thread, while being able to filter the tags for the topic(s) you want to view. The bookmarks feature is great, but there needs to be global public bookmarks with tags.

Btw, have they resolved the height issue on the electrification of the Trains? I knew there was an issue in terms of the height of train-shed which is protected as a heritage artifact and thus they either had to lower the tracks or jack up the train-shed to create enough space to install the electrification wiring and equipment.

There is no height issue with the trainshed.

GO has been aware of any potential issues since the original electrification reports and designs in the early 1980s. And in those early reports, a whole host of different methods were given with which they could prevent any issues with running current equipment underneath any potential electrification without any major mods to the trainshed.

And since then, as part of the trainshed renovation, they've already gained about 3 or 4 inches of height by rebuilding the smokejacks over the tracks with a slightly lower profile.

So no.....there are no real issues per se. What does exist is a failure within the management structure at Metrolinx to communicate with itself, and an abject failure to look back at things they've done in the past and learn from them.

Dan

Now if only we could tag each individual post and have a single Union Station thread, while being able to filter the tags for the topic(s) you want to view. The bookmarks feature is great, but there needs to be global public bookmarks with tags.
I, for one, will need smelling salts if the Union threads are reconstructed.

That said, I cannot contemplate the idea that track widths and therefore staircase locations would change after the concourses have just been rebuilt. Is this a real possibility within twenty years... or am I missing something.

What does exist is a failure within the management structure at Metrolinx to communicate with itself, and an abject failure to look back at things they've done in the past and learn from them.
Verster himself and actual staff stated policy alone don't align. Verster seems to have more vision than official policy allows. I must admit to being 'fooled' more than a few times by statements from both, and I'm boggled by some posters taking 'Town Hall Meetings' as 'sessions of truth'.

Thus:
I cannot contemplate the idea that track widths and therefore staircase locations would change after the concourses have just been rebuilt. Is this a real possibility within twenty years... or am I missing something.
All recent and standing info from Metrolinx has now dropped the reference to "escalators" and "widened staircases"...at least all that I can find. Metrolinx do allude to (gist) "When the City is finished ( a slippery point to begin with) then we take over to modify the platforms".

My impression, based on many past actions? They really haven't decided yet what to do, they're waiting for something to crystallize their decision/action. There has been reference to (yet again)(gist) "It's up to the DBFOM terms of the particular operator" and so Metrolinx washes their hands when convenient, and takes credit whenever they can, whether it's their doing or not.

I invite others to post reference to what they can find on the platforms, escalators and widened staircases.

I'd say in this string, as if you view the very first posts in this string, they allude to a much wider purview than what some claim this string is for. When in doubt, consult the Elders!

On your linked article, like every one I can find on that, they never show a diagram of how the buses are to enter or leave, let alone passenger connections within Union, or the possibility of other highly important vehicular services to Union (QQE etc).

By Toronto and Torontonians being so focused on 'stand-alone islands' the big picture is getting missed. Yet again...

In all fairness, this topic does overlap the Waterfront Reset....but it's also a lot larger than that too.

Last edited:
That said, I cannot contemplate the idea that track widths and therefore staircase locations would change after the concourses have just been rebuilt. Is this a real possibility within twenty years... or am I missing something.

I cannot contemplate going through the trouble of merging platforms and leaving the staircases as is - but then again, it's Toronto.

AoD

I cannot contemplate going through the trouble of merging platforms and leaving the staircases as is - but then again, it's Toronto.

AoD
Thinking this through backwards, I suspect it's all down to funding. Scenario: Metrolinx says to City: "We need better staircases, what's been provided by you are totally inadequate and dangerous, plus they present problems as to dwell time and throughput, let alone safety". City responds: "No money, you do it". Metrolinx responds: "No money, we won't do it either" and all reference to doing it is expunged.

Some retrospect that was more than prescient: (13 years ago in this forum!)
There's ways of doing this without making the station too commercial (and keeping it a transportation hub first and foremost) and without selling it to SNC Lavalin or another bunch of pirates for 99 years. Private sector involvement is great, just keep it leashed.

Has anybody been down to union station lately?
Yes, Why?? Not much to see, other than getting ready to install the last section over the Moat legal. Headhouse is another thread.

Back