Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Is the bottom level of the York concourse open yet?

No. They have been saying "soon/a few more months" since York opened. I believe I have currently heard Summer 2017 thrown around, but like I said, it keeps slipping, and slipping, and slipping. No idea why, it's certainly looked complete for ages.

It does not rely on completion of the Via/Bay concourses, any moats, or anything else to open. They can open the part directly under York and wall off the pathways to unfinished parts of the station, as they have done for years throughout Union.

No. They have been saying "soon/a few more months" since York opened. I believe I have currently heard Summer 2017 thrown around, but like I said, it keeps slipping, and slipping, and slipping. No idea why, it's certainly looked complete for ages.

It does not rely on completion of the Via/Bay concourses, any moats, or anything else to open. They can open the part directly under York and wall off the pathways to unfinished parts of the station, as they have done for years throughout Union.

I hear that but also it's kind of a dead end space on its own. With no connection except up through York and no retail there's really no reason anyone would want to go there. Furthermore the retail likely depends on having the passenger flows that result from the Bay concourse connection to the subway station.

As much as I'd love to have it open I can see the reasons why it might not be open yet.

I hear that but also it's kind of a dead end space on its own. With no connection except up through York and no retail there's really no reason anyone would want to go there. Furthermore the retail likely depends on having the passenger flows that result from the Bay concourse connection to the subway station.

As much as I'd love to have it open I can see the reasons why it might not be open yet.

Well, my point is more that they should get retail in there and open it up. If you look on twitter there are a number of people complaining there aren't enough food options at Union today, I'm sure that there would be enough demand.

I recently read somewhere that it might be opened in Q1 2018. Currently trying to dig that source up.

Torontounion.ca holds some info including a link to the Toronto.ca Union Station page with a timeline of completion for some of the major works

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b9b4f90e29f8a510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

A recent peek through an open construction door in the York Promenade was not encouraging. No one is going to be opening anything else for a long while yet. Still a lot of bare concrete and exposed wiring and conduit.

Last edited:
They would need to connect the lower section to a part of the PATH (which i don't see realistically happening) or have a major anchor tennant (perhaps one that Toronto doesn't have yet) to bring a large amount of people below-grade. I hope this isnt all smaller shops and food court like Aura.

They would need to connect the lower section to a part of the PATH (which i don't see realistically happening) or have a major anchor tennant (perhaps one that Toronto doesn't have yet) to bring a large amount of people below-grade. I hope this isnt all smaller shops and food court like Aura.

If I am not mistaken, it will end up connecting to the lower level of the Bay Concourse which should draw in people from the ACC. It would be nice to connect it to the PATH system but in a sort of indirect way. The PATH system connects to Union Station via the subway (I used to walk from the Eaton Centre to Fort York and Spadina via the PATH system).

Honestly, there is not much traffic up York Street where the western end of the PATH was to connect compared to Bay.

Last edited:
I think if there were some solid food options available down there like, for example: a full Timmies, full McD's, Cinnabon, even a Michel's Baguette (one of my favourites from the old concourse) and maybe some seating & tables, might be good business.

I think if there were some solid food options available down there like, for example: a full Timmies, full McD's, Cinnabon, even a Michel's Baguette (one of my favourites from the old concourse) and maybe some seating & tables, might be good business.

My understanding from talking to the people at the Tims kiosk is that they are only temporary and will be moving into the York Concourse at some point. I wonder how many potential tenants are bailing because of the delays?

Sorry if this has been answered, but coming back from the leaf game tonight I couldn't help but notice how ugly and dingy the Bay team ways are on both sides. Will these be renovated as well?

Sorry if this has been answered, but coming back from the leaf game tonight I couldn't help but notice how ugly and dingy the Bay team ways are on both sides. Will these be renovated as well?
The one on east side of Bay will be incorporated into the two new buildings that are planned - Bay Park Centre. It will (probably) have a link to a new station for the Bay Street Tunnel streetcar - at least that's the plan now I assume the west side will be tidied up once the construction all around it is done.

I remember seeing one of the early "artists renditions" of the Union renovations that showed what looked to be a Dave and Busters accessed from the Bay Teamway. I wonder if Dave and Busters were actually considering this location, and if they still intend to do so?

Honestly, there is not much traffic up York Street where the western end of the PATH was to connect compared to Bay.

Well, there is the small fact that the western leg of the path does not actually link directly to Union.....so commuters wishing to stay underground have been trained by years of experience to funnel themselves towards the central/eastern part of the path and end up going through the subway station. You might just see a different pattern if that new front street underpass at York actually went a bit further and connected at the HSBC building on the NW corner of York and Wellington.

You might just see a different pattern if that new front street underpass at York actually went a bit further and connected at the HSBC building on the NW corner of York and Wellington.
When!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-northwest-path-expansion.553/page-20#post-1172937

This project is still alive. In the City's Real Estate Budget documents for 2017 it says:

North West (NW) Path – Phase 2 ($50.0 million) – The North West PATH - Phase 2 extension will connect the existing PATH system from Union Station, along York Street to Wellington Street, $50.0 million in capital funding is planned in 2021-2023.

Back