Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

http://www.thestar.com/News/Insight/article/594727

Our 1856 link to Pearson airport

What kind of investment pays dividends almost forever? Solid infrastructure, suggests one stop on a Spacing editor's rail-linked exploration

Mar 01, 2009 04:30
Shawn Micallef
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Standing on Fort York's south ramparts, eyes shut, it's easy to imagine Lake Ontario is only a few metres below. The hum of the Gardiner Expressway even sounds like the surf. But open your eyes and the freeway looms on its concrete columns, andyou must look between condominiums to catch a glimpse of the distant water.

On the north side of the fort are hints of why we have Toronto terra firma where the shoreline once was. Nearly a dozen rail lines cross Toronto near this spot; one branch heads along the lake towards Hamilton, the other curves northwest towards Weston and Georgetown. The latter follows some of the historic Grand Trunk Railway route, Toronto's first railway.

Soon, the 19th century route responsible for so much of the city's early growth may play a key role in the evolution of 21st century Toronto, by serving as backbone of the long-sought rail connection between Union Station and Pearson International Airport.

The name Grand Trunk still sounds expansive; it is a reminder that after the War of 1812 railways, not armies, started to decide Toronto's future. The Grand Trunk would grow, as planned, into a main trunk line – becoming for a time the world's largest railway system – and finally morph into CN. But when first built, the Grand Trunk did not even cross what is now downtown Toronto. It swung down toward the lake from the northwest and stopped at a terminal on the south side of Fort York.

Evidence remains, in impressive earthworks visible between the fort and Strachan Ave. In the shadow of the Gardiner near here is an old trench that was dug west to Strachan, where it curves north and now disappears, with few traces, under modern Liberty Village.

The Grand Trunk was originally chartered as the Toronto & Guelph Railroad Company, and became part of plans for a railway between Toronto and Montreal and southwestern Ontario. Between 1853 and 1856, lines were built in two sections: Toronto to Montreal and Toronto to Sarnia. Engineer Casimir Gzowski was the contractor of the western section, and his Grand Trunk accomplishment is one reason the lakeside park west of Sunnyside bears his name (he is also the great-grandfather of the late CBC broadcaster Peter Gzowski). The large terminal yard for the Sarnia line was constructed in front of Fort York on eight hectares, about half of which was landfill, thus beginning the shoreline's slow move south to its current point across from the Toronto Island Airport.

More than anything else, the railways were responsible for the extension of Toronto's waterfront, because they had the political and financial muscle to get what they wanted (the term "railroaded" means what it does for a reason). There was a gap between the Sarnia and Montreal sections of the GTR for only a short time before the railway bullied Toronto City Council into letting it lay tracks across the front of the city along the newly created Esplanade, marking the beginning of the city's estranged relationship with its waterfront. In the late 1850s, the view from the Fort's bastions was still of the lake, but also of a busy Victorian industrial scene.

TODAY'S PEARSON RAIL connection proponents may wish they had the same bullying power their 19th century counterparts did. The various schemes proposed – such as the early Blue 22 line that involved diesel trains running regularly between Union and Pearson – have met with opposition in Weston. Now part of Toronto, Weston flourished once the Grand Trunk was established in the1850s. One proposal for the Pearson link would have closed some surface streets, threatening to cut the community in half. The trains are welcome, says the Weston Community Coalition, but "Let's build it right the first time" by burying the tracks and creating a Weston station, as there is with Go Transit – ideas that made it into later proposals.

Such discussions were unheard of when the Grand Trunk was built. The Fort York yard itself was formed by dumping fill behind a line of 62 massive timber "cribs," filled with dirt from Garrison Common (a vast tract of land that included what is now Exhibition Place and the residential neighbourhoods to the north of the Fort) and from the GTR cut itself.

Archeological issues were not considered then, so the railway was able to carve itstrench through the heart of the 1813 battlefield. That's the equivalent of doing the same thing through the Plains of Abraham in Quebec or Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, and it's probable that the fill still contains cannonballs, artifacts and even human remains. The site is so important, historically, that the City of Toronto is seeking to have Fort York recognized as a World Heritage Site, which would be the first such designation in Ontario.As for the railway itself we tend to either take it for granted or else complain that the tracks cut the rest of the city off from the lake. David Monaghan, curator of the House of Commons and former curator of the land transportation collections at the National Museum of Science and Technology, says that "One of the great tragedies of Canadian Industrial and Transportation history is that so little remains of the original infrastructure that played a critical role in the development of the first railway networks in Canada."

WITH THIS SENTIMENT in mind, that lonely trench under the Gardiner suddenly echoes loud with meaning, as it was one of the reasons Toronto grew as a city. The Grand Trunk connected Toronto to Sarnia, where a ferry (enhanced in 1891 by a rail tunnel) crossed the St. Clair River to Port Huron, Mich., allowing cargo to connect by rail to Chicago, a big market for Toronto's industrial might.

Though there is a huge rail enthusiast community (just Google anything railroad and see for yourself), the heritage here has not yet been interpreted for the public.

As late as the 1950s, just before the Gardiner was constructed, photos of the rail cut show a bucolic scene resembling rural Ontario more than the centre of a great metropolis. Rail lines in general tend to have a country feel, often with antique wooden electrical poles and wild tall grasses and feral bushes. They are linear countrysides surrounded by urban landscape.

This short part of the Grand Trunk cut can only be followed to about Strachan Ave., and it won't be part of the new airport link. But there are ghosts of the GTR on the GO Train's journey west to Georgetown that will be, and that yet today demonstrate why the Grand Trunk was indeed grand.

Toronto lies in a region of ravines, and the Grand Trunk's builders had to build substantial bridges across wide valleys. Golfers at the Weston Golf and Country Club in the Humber valley, just south of the 401, today tee off to greens below the Humber Viaduct, 170 metres long and standing on eight piers 20 metres high, soaring today just as it did in 1856. Further east, just outside of downtown Georgetown, is the similar, 300-metre-longGrand River viaduct with piers made of stone quarried nearby.

In his 1855 inspection report, Fred Cumberland Esq., chief engineer of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway, wrote that they give "such complete assurance to the mind of permanent stability." His words ring true today, as these structures continue to serve as reminders of the industrial foundations that this city and country were built on, and are still rising from.

Shawn Micallef is senior editor at Spacing Magazine.

88abe37e407c9945a1e68161feb4.jpeg

TONY BOCK/TORONTO STAR
The former Grand Trunk Railway viaduct over the Humber River, now used mostly by GO Transit and VIA Rail. It will be on the route of the new airport rail link.

A nice article. Very Micallef.

I'm sure there are other errors, but the one that gets my goat is:
just outside of downtown Georgetown, is the similar, 300-metre-long Grand River viaduct

The viaduct crosses the Credit River at Geogrtown. You have to go all the way to Kitchener to cross the Grand.

Indeed, a nice article, but there are other errors:

The Brampton-Toronto section opened for business in 1855, a year earlier, and the second railway out of town after the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron (to Aurora in 1853, extended to Allandale by then).

The Rideau Canal is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. That's the first in Ontario.

Well, I have tried out the express trains in Tokyo and Hong Kong. I cannot remember the prices exactly, but both were not "GO" prices. Tokyo was around 3000 yen one way (around $30 USD). Hong Kong I think was significant as well. So I don't think $20ish CAD for the airport express is that out of whack with other countries. I prefer the Hong Kong model though where I could check-in and give them my checked luggage.

Bangkok's "airport express" should be completed half-way through this year, and the cost is suppose to be around 150 baht ($5 - 6CAD), just less than half the cost to take a "public taxi" to the airport or around 1/3 the cost of a taxi from the airport. Of course if you get caught by a taxi tout before you get to the public taxi line (which most tourists will), then the price will be around 2.5 times the cost of the public taxi.

Last edited:
Hong Kong has a cheap alternative though, which is to take a bus from the airport to the end of the Tung Chung line (built with the Airport Express Line) for about 50 cents Canadian, then a ~CAD$4.00 ride to Central Hong Kong. Takes an extra 10 minutes or so because of the bus, but both lines use the same stock and speed (~130km/h).

Until we have the Eglinton ?RT extended out to the airport, we won't have that. Though technically the 192 down to Kipling is the poor-man's option right now.

I've taken the Heathrow Express several times, and think it's great. At GBP16.00 per trip, it's not cheap, but by UK pricing standards it's not bad at all.

https://www.heathrowexpress.com

As pointed out before in this thread, there's also Heathrow Connect, the same route with a few additional stops with a significant discount, and the Piccadilly Line.

Anywhere in North America you can show me that supposedly compares with Blue 22 in price/service?

Anywhere in North America you can show me that supposedly compares with Blue 22 in price/service?
SEPTA's regional rail connects downtown Philly (30th street station) to the airport for just a few dollars. It's not superfast but it's pretty good, and it stops directly at each terminal. The only limitation is that service is only every half hour.

As pointed out before in this thread, there's also Heathrow Connect, the same route with a few additional stops with a significant discount, and the Piccadilly Line.

Heathrow Connect is quite unpopular compared to the Express, though. There are only 5 trains, as opposed to 14 on the Express. It wasn't even originally envisioned as an airport link, per se, it was meant for Heathrow employees. Even with discounted fares though, that was very unpopular, so they have been trying to turn it into a low cost competitor for the Express. Nobody takes it though, because if money is an issue you take the Piccadily line (or a bus) and if time/comfort is an issue you take the Express.

Hong Kong has a cheap alternative though, which is to take a bus from the airport to the end of the Tung Chung line (built with the Airport Express Line) for about 50 cents Canadian, then a ~CAD$4.00 ride to Central Hong Kong. Takes an extra 10 minutes or so because of the bus, but both lines use the same stock and speed (~130km/h).

Until we have the Eglinton ?RT extended out to the airport, we won't have that. Though technically the 192 down to Kipling is the poor-man's option right now.

As I understand the current thinking of the people at Blue 22/Metrolinx/GO...we will have lots of options.

1. We currently have GO Buses (at GO fares) which connect to the subway at Yorkdale and York Mills (and go west to Brampton)

2. We currently have a TTC service which is cheaper than GO but makes more stops and connects to the BD subway at Kipling (it is the 192 you refer to)

3. We have private buses that connect downtown to the airport $20 one way but direct.

4. We will have Blue 22 a direct rail link

5. We may even have GO trains that go to a station near the airport and are somehow linked (shuttle or people mover) to the terminals....this would, presumably, be slower but cheaper than Blue 22 but faster (and cheaper) than those $20 buses.

So, at a minimum, we will have 4 alternatives (not inlcuding cars, cabs, limos).....not sure how many we need.

I just have two questions when I read this:

GO Transit WILL be running this line, correct?

Will the same Double Decker cars be used for the line, or will they switch to lower capacity cars? Somehow I get the feeling that, for the most part, double decker cars would be overkill, at least before public transit becomes more appealing to regular Joes.

I just have two questions when I read this:

GO Transit WILL be running this line, correct?

Will the same Double Decker cars be used for the line, or will they switch to lower capacity cars? Somehow I get the feeling that, for the most part, double decker cars would be overkill, at least before public transit becomes more appealing to regular Joes.

The current plan (although that may change) was for a private company (SNC Lavalin) to own and operate the system .....but not the tracks (except for the spur line into the aiport which they would have to build) and the cars will not be double decker GO cars.

Thanks. Both those seem to make the most sense. I'd like to see smaller trains on the new GO lines that they're expanding all day service to, probably the same cars as Blue 22.

Thanks. Both those seem to make the most sense. I'd like to see smaller trains on the new GO lines that they're expanding all day service to, probably the same cars as Blue 22.

Probably not. Any new rolling stock order would be large enough to warrant developing a new model. I have nothing against RDCs, but I see them as the interim solution only.

Back