Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

I would have appreciated something more akin to the surrounding blocks. Those buildings are generally much better scaled and look a lot nicer as well.

This development just overwhelms the whole block and surrounding area with nothing to break it up on three sides. I suppose future proposals nearby will help with blending it in.
Not many more development sites in the vicinity. Certainly none the size of this ghastly blob. It will stick out for decades.

Not many more development sites in the vicinity. Certainly none the size of this ghastly blob. It will stick out for decades.

You're mistaken... there are plenty of 'big' buildings in the area that are already U/C or will be U/C soon enough. They will partially obscure this building from the North. The Whitfield, The King East Centre I and II, Allure, The Grainger and The Sanderson... all within a few blocks.

Toronto Model 09-04-23 Time and Space.png

That'll be a nicer view with the Whitfield building going up. (or whatever it's called*)
Unless of course, it's also not the prettiest project.
Great shot btw, I really do love the typology and order to the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood....minus this big blob.

I think many of the dislikes in this thread came from those who resides in lower rise buildings in the area.

Indeed this structure does block the views of many sub 20 Storey buildings that were built earlier and to the north. Can’t fault people to complaining.

But for someone who is not concerned about losing their unobstructed view from the 11th floor, this is what Toronto need. It’s a very good use of land while respecting the angular plane of the park to the south.

The alternative way of achieving the same density is to build smaller but twice as tall. In other parts of the city like King West a developer might put 2 x 65 Storey point towers on the same plot. I’m sure the community will be even more disturbed.

I passed by here yesterday, Sept 8th, 2023:

DSC02589.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02591.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02593.jpg

Gonna sneak in a photo of the nice BIA-maintained flower beds on Sherbourne here:

They are very, very robust: (not the prettiest shot as I was meaning to highlight one plant)

DSC02587.jpg

Clearly they wanted plants that could defend their territory here; and boy did them pick'em.

The little purple flowers in the foreground here..........mint; and boy is it going nuts.

Many of the species are doing super well; but the mint is thinking about taking over the sidewalk. Less common, but they had blackberry I believe further south,
and it was doing the same thing.......that one has thorns....

Pretty sure many/most live outside the area lol.

Even for those of us who live inside the area, most of our views wouldn't be impacted. Like many in the area, I have an internal courtyard view so my view will never be impacted by anything. There are plenty reasons not to like this building already discussed here at length, which have nothing to do with losing views or sight-lines. It's pretty lame to just dismiss them all and say "they must be mad because they're losing their views".

I passed by here yesterday, Sept 8th, 2023:

View attachment 505265

View attachment 505266

View attachment 505267

View attachment 505268

View attachment 505269

Gonna sneak in a photo of the nice BIA-maintained flower beds on Sherbourne here:

They are very, very robust: (not the prettiest shot as I was meaning to highlight one plant)

View attachment 505270

Clearly they wanted plants that could defend their territory here; and boy did them pick'em.

The little purple flowers in the foreground here..........mint; and boy is it going nuts.

Many of the species are doing super well; but the mint is thinking about taking over the sidewalk. Less common, but they had blackberry I believe further south,
and it was doing the same thing.......that one has thorns....
Mint is a bold choice, indeed it is extremely vigorous and can quickly take over. Blackberries are a neat choice too; I always thought it would be cool if cities planted edible plants and encouraged urban foraging, however unfortunately I imagine there's the issue of liability over misidentification or unscrupulous types contaminating/poisoning the plants. Also in this case the mint is a little too close to the sidewalk for comfort...

Mint is a bold choice, indeed it is extremely vigorous and can quickly take over. Blackberries are a neat choice too; I always thought it would be cool if cities planted edible plants and encouraged urban foraging

The idea has theoretical appeal, but the problem of relative scarcity is a big one. In a City of 3,000,000 w/far more people than plants of any particular type, even if a plant weren't damaged (say blackberry, you just pick the berries); the issue of eating all the food meant for the wildlife is a problem, as is consuming the seed meant to repopulate the species.

But many plants are eaten by picking the entire thing or branches/stems etc.

Wild Leek, and Wild Ginger come to mind. These can only sustain limiting picking. Wild Leek can keep up if you remove no more than 10% of what is present in any given year,.

But do you know what was present when you come along and 4 other people have picked the plants over before you?

, however unfortunately I imagine there's the issue of liability over misidentification

Not a huge issue for most common stuff; I mean, if you mistake Mulberry which grows on a tree for raspberry......ummm, there are some gastrointestinal effects if you over indulge, they are 'temporary, but a bit explosive' LOL

There are lots of look-a-like plants, though not that many that are edible are mistakable, mushrooms are clearly an exception. Again, Toronto gets very few Morels or Chanterelles and I'd rather people left them.

or unscrupulous types contaminating/poisoning the plants.

Possible, but I think I'd simply be more concerned by run-of-the-mill contamination for anything close to ground level, especially near a street or sidewalk. Dog excrement, road salt, motor oil etc.

Last edited:

Back