Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Ah learning to ride a bike in the canyons. Just like my kids!
That canyon was where he actually took his first real pedal strokes. The sidewalks and the Esplanade path are too busy for a wobbly kid lacking confidence, but that alley is deserted on weekends and perfect for experimenting. That and the area around the David Crombie fountain on weekend mornings.

The idea has theoretical appeal, but the problem of relative scarcity is a big one. In a City of 3,000,000 w/far more people than plants of any particular type, even if a plant weren't damaged (say blackberry, you just pick the berries); the issue of eating all the food meant for the wildlife is a problem, as is consuming the seed meant to repopulate the species.

But many plants are eaten by picking the entire thing or branches/stems etc.

Wild Leek, and Wild Ginger come to mind. These can only sustain limiting picking. Wild Leek can keep up if you remove no more than 10% of what is present in any given year,.

But do you know what was present when you come along and 4 other people have the plants over before you?

Not a huge issue for most common stuff; I mean, if you mistake Mulberry which grows on a tree for raspberry......ummm, there are some gastrointestinal effects if you over indulge, they are 'temporary, but a bit explosive' LOL

There are lots of look-a-like plants, though not that many that are edible are mistakable, mushrooms are clearly an exception. Again, Toronto gets very few Morels or Chanterelles and I'd rather people left them.

Possible, but I think I'd simply be more concerned by run-of-the-mill contamination for anything close to ground level, especially near a street or sidewalk. Dog excrement, road salt, motor oil etc.
Fruit trees are often the ones I've seen suggested as candidates, as they produce a relative abundance of fruit and it is high above the ground (fewer contamination concerns). It certainly wouldn't be an initiative to combat food insecurity or anything that grand, but I've thought of it more from a reconnecting with our surroundings sort of viewpoint, learning more about nature and the world around us.

Fruit trees are often the ones I've seen suggested as candidates, as they produce a relative abundance of fruit and it is high above the ground (fewer contamination concerns). It certainly wouldn't be an initiative to combat food insecurity or anything that grand, but I've thought of it more from a reconnecting with our surroundings sort of viewpoint, learning more about nature and the world around us.

Native fruit/nut trees would be:

Canada Plum (really a shrub, but 11-15ft tall)

PawPaw (really native to Niagara, maybe as far as Burlington)

Serviceberry/Saskatoon Berry

American Hazelnut (6-15ft tall)

American Chestnut (big tree)

Butternut (big tree, endangered)

Non-native, but not invasive

Apricot, Peach

Apples and Pears require a minimum of 2 trees for cross-pollination.

Lots of native edible fruit shrubs; most of which aren't at all endangered; if in a forest-setting, or well off the ground, I wouldn't be overly worried about contamination.

September 9:

DSC_1304.JPG

DSC_1323.JPG

DSC_1355.JPG

Aug 19
Just added a large number of shots for the 19th to my site In different locations for the day
53185848834_ecb604cd1e_b.jpg

53185073872_3d0fb8b910_b.jpg

53185074482_63bc034391_b.jpg

53185074572_1cc0765994_b.jpg

53185783981_dde0150408_b.jpg

53186054068_8aef640fda_b.jpg

53185882630_690db153a3_b.jpg

53185849704_cfa8dc0370_b.jpg

This has enhanced the street wall on the Esplanade, they've acceptably achieved a more fine grained effect by incorporating different facade treatments (feels like 3-4 buildings rather than 1), and I love the east-west pedestrian pass through half way down the block. Overall, one of Toronto's better new builds.

I try to stick to posting the photos and commenting on how it's great that there are so many units. I've already noticed more foot traffic at that corner with quite a few people having moved in.

The photos won't be coming for much longer though, hopefully. I'll be gone long before the Whitfield ruins my view even more.

Back