Toronto The Yorkville Condominiums | 104.54m | 31s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

From urbanation:

The Yorkville Residences by Lifetime Developments coming soon to 32 Davenport Rd. The 28-storey building will include 166 units. about 2 hours ago via web

And from http://www.gyra.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29

32 Davenport Road & 12-22 McMurrich Street (former Moriyama Lands) Lifetime Urban Development

The 28-storey condominium building, including a 4-storey podium, 166 units and 165 parking spots in five underground levels, accessible from McMurrich Street, was approved by City Council in October 2009. Section 37 Agreement secured:

* $550,000.00 be paid prior to the issuance of the first above-grade permit towards the Greater Yorkville Residents' Association (GYRA) Yorkville Greening Initiative
* $15,000.00 to be paid prior to the issuance of the first above-grade permit towards the Yorkville Lending Library's Centenary Project
* $335,000.00 to be paid prior to the issues of the first above-grade permit towards capital improvements at Budd Sugarman Park and Ramsden Park

Last edited:
This is off topic, but since everything in the area is being knocked down, I would love to see that horrideous PoMo clock tower that stares down Bay street from the north replaced by a view-terminus-worthy tower.

Give it 40 years and that tower will be seen as a heritage structure exemplary of the style.

I hope not. But you're right... in all likelihood we'll see the "heritage facade" grafted onto a 90 storey tower.

I'm not sure about the "grafting on" part; but, it *is* period Pomo whimsy at its most stylish, so I wouldn't jump the gun in deeming it fatally "horrendous"...

I like pomo as much as the next guy (or probably moreso), but I think we could build a better view terminus for one of our most important thoroughfares than something so ... whimsical.

Actually, I called it "horrideous" which is a hybrid of "horrendous" & "hideous". To me, it is, always has been, and probably always will be... Love it or hate it, I am more inclined to tag the Confederation Life bldg (Rogers HQ) as our city's big whimsical PoMo period bldg.

Mods might want to change height from 28s to 31s

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 1H3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 201720 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 21, 2010

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 20-JUL-10, >>Proposal to construct a 31 sty condo with 238 units.

Give it 40 years and that tower will be seen as a heritage structure exemplary of the style.

The tower will never be seen as exemplary of the style. It's too weak an effort and will always be seen for its poor detail. PoMo whimsy was done a lot better elsewhere.

Yes, we could use a better view terminus. The person who designed that tower knew it would be a view terminus, but the approach was uninspiring. (Perhaps, however, the budget was limited and the architect figured that the best he could do was to a least put up something to remind people the view terminus potential of the property.)

The tower will never be seen as exemplary of the style. It's too weak an effort and will always be seen for its poor detail. PoMo whimsy was done a lot better elsewhere.

Well, it depends on how expansive one wants to be--I could just as well see it acquiring the charm of many a garish essay in 50s glazed brick pyrotechnics...which almost requires looking beyond the concept of "exemplary"...

Well, it depends on how expansive one wants to be--I could just as well see it acquiring the charm of many a garish essay in 50s glazed brick pyrotechnics...which almost requires looking beyond the concept of "exemplary"...

The building will be defended because it's a decent infill PoMo building. The tower itself is too simple and the proportions are too humble for the view corridor. A proposed future demolition of the building when heritage might be a concern would wisely use "let's build a real view terminus" as the angle.

I bet most people would overlook the view terminus potential of the site if it wasn't for the tower and the heritage argument would gain more ground.

the presentation center is going up soon. taken today:

5006588119_d30d8dde27_b.jpg

Back