Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I do expect buying online will evolve. I don't know what it will evolve into but, there's a chance it could involved brick and mortar gaining traction once again.

In some ways it has. Many online-first companies (Harry's, Amazon, Endy, etc.) have opened brick and mortar locations with success. They will never have the ubiquity of box store chains, but they really don't want that. They're there to help them sell product, not specifically as the only source for said product. I don't see why big box hasn't taken cues from this. Best Buy would do itself a favour by turning into strictly smaller showrooms, with free local, same-day delivery in certain areas for larger ticket items. They're already losing money to "show rooming", so why not actually take the opportunity to become the showroom AND offer competitive prices by cutting out the cost of the massive leases and staff? No one really needs to see an HDMI cable or replacement printer cartridge in person before they buy them, but big overhead costs have to be worked into every single product in their (current) stores.

Another dumpster on site!
IMG_5507.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5507.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 318
Update:
Fully up-to-date renderings of The One, along with a new scale model of the approved #design, have debuted at Toronto of the Future at Metro Hall. The Mizrahi Developments is designed by Foster + Partners and CORE Architects Inc.

]
27599-95940.jpg

27599-95921.jpg
27599-95920.jpg

Attachments

• 27599-95940.jpg
    27599-95940.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 27599-95921.jpg
    27599-95921.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 27599-95920.jpg
    27599-95920.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 399
The gaps and outlined (exo-skeleton) frame work for me. For some reason, I glazed over the details in the renders. I think it's attractive and applaud the inclusion of a hotel. Anything to increase pedestrian traffic is a plus. I'm always amazed how vital the Shangri-la lobby is, it feels like a destination. Hopefully this gets played up versus the lobby that was the Trump hotel.

Interesting how the furnitures are positioned in the ground floor of the model.

AoD

Good eye ;)

Slightly disappointed with the revision on what is probably the final design iteration of The One. Overall, while it's largely the same, it seems like the most toned down it's looked thus far, specifically at the base of the building. The originally-proposed (and later scrapped) diamond-cladding would definitely have helped ease or conceal the transition between the variation in floor height reflected by the hotel portion. I'm sure the model draws more attention to this than how it will appear in actuality, but the now-hexagonal mechanical levels seem at odds with the rest of the design.
Still my most anticipated tower though.

I'm OK with everything but that twin-funnel top. Looks oddly contrived.

Interesting. For me, the crown is the best part.

Back