Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Top-down construction would certainly save time, but also sounds like it would be more expensive to do (otherwise everybody would use it). Mizrahi must truly be in a hurry to get this project rising.

We would be too if we have invested 200 million in a site, I would think.

From this morning. More coming down.

IMG_7500.JPG
IMG_7501.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7500.JPG
    IMG_7500.JPG
    616.9 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_7501.JPG
    IMG_7501.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 1,028
Top-down construction would certainly save time, but also sounds like it would be more expensive to do (otherwise everybody would use it). Mizrahi must truly be in a hurry to get this project rising.

I assume he wants those retailers paying Bloor street rent as soon as possible, this should be an interesting project to watch during construction. As for his Apple store comments, he's a salesman and I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been thinking more about why people obsess over people obsessing over one of the most powerful brands in the world.
That's not an answer. You just reversed what I said. But to reply to your comment: how does asking a question once constitute obsession on my part? Yes, it is a powerful brand, but so what? It appears that most of the interest in a flagship Apple store is directed at the aesthetic of their stores vs. the actual products they carry.

Downtowns population has grown to a point where only 1 downtown Apple Store is constantly crowded. We need another location to help with Genius Bar appointment. Plus I personally find the stores are gorgeous, imagine flagship Apple store in the most important Canadian intersection

I remember when the first Apple store opened in Yorkdale Mall and I was in line to get a 60 GB iPod colour for $600+ . I can understand the hype THAN when there was no Apple store anywhere else and electronics of similar nature were slim pickings, the next best Mp3 player was at that time was much bulkier, but now every major electronics retailer carries apple products and there are more than enough "flagship" stores in the GTA. As for the comment about overcrowding at the "Genius bar", there is something called the internet where 80% of problems you have can be solved by couch surfing. I have hardly if ever seen someone take in a apple product for hardware issues.

Last edited:
It's not about being practical because as you've noted FruitCo products are relatively reliable and it'd be more sane to buy their stuff online - it is about being able to touch and interact with FruitCo products in a manicured setting laden with the means of symbolic exchange that altogether connotes a special communal, almost spiritual/religious experience. It's a secular temple of our time.

And of course, we are still visiting these symbolic sites, sometimes millennia later long after the faith had died.

AoD

For the love of God, if residents of Toronto are so concerned about the lack of an additional store in the city, fire off an e-mail to the company. People keep whining on the streets about "not enough Apple stores" which I can see is true. These same people should put their money where their mouth is and complain to the company. Developers aren't going to listen unless it is in their best interests.

Back