Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

the now stalled Metropolitan is pretty similar to the original proposal in the August 2003 City Planning report (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2003/agendas/committees/to/to030909/it012a.pdf) ... its decently good looking IMO ... hopefully construction resumes soon :)

The Metropolitan:
lancer.jpg

CathedralSq_ElevationN.jpg
CathedralSq_ElevationE.jpg
CathedralSq_ElevationS.jpg

CathedralSq_siteplan.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that his project was far enough along to be placed "on hold". What are they "holding"? It wasn't in sales or anything. Anyways, this is certainly good news, if I were to choose projects to move into the on hold category this would have been right at the top of the list.

Well the developers have to do all sorts of work before they have a public launch. Designing the building for example.

I disagree that it should be put on top of the hold pile. This area needs all the help it can get.

Ed, you are probably right, and I am guilty of putting mere aesthetic considerations ahead of the changes which will be beneficial to the neighbourhood. I dislike the look of this building, but that doesn't mean it ought not proceed.

I disagree that it should be put on top of the hold pile. This area needs all the help it can get.

Especially since demolition is proceeding and the last thing the area needs is another new parking lot

The good news is that parking lots don't remain parking lots forever, of course. They can be transformed into sites where buildings that are both beautiful and practical stand. Aesthetic reasons strike me as a perfectly sensible reason for any building not to proceed until the design is as good as it can be; we - and future generations - will have to look at such structures day in, day out for a very long time and it makes practical good sense to get it right.

The good news is that parking lots don't remain parking lots forever, of course.

I couldn't care less about forever. However, there are dozens that have lasted as long as a lifetime and I don't think we're at a point to say those days are numbered

I would love to see this project cancelled to save the building that is currently on the site.

I'm still flabbergasted that they have permission to demolish it.

^well, yeah, ideally the building should have been saved. I can't say I'll shed an Agnostic tear though.

I would love to see this project cancelled to save the building that is currently on the site.

I think that the parish house or whatever it was, or at least part of it, is to be rebuilt along Bond Street (presumably on the existing car park nearer Queen Street) but whether this must await the new building being excavated or not I do not know. If it must wait for excavation I suspect it will be sitting around in pieces for MANY years.

To late as part of it is gone with other parts to follow next week. Photo's to come.

I agree that this building should not come down.

The stone work is better than what going up as well what went up across the street.

2 november 2008 photo update

Mid-afternoon today found myself by chance beside this site; I was appalled by the "senseless" destruction, when clearly there's a parking lot right here! Toronto is so backwards sometimes....:(

DSC00090-1.jpg

DSC00088-3.jpg

I missed a really good shot of the interior--the nave? Maybe one of y'all got it?

Back