Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

Thread has been quiet for some time so I don't know if views have changed, but just interested to hear reasons this site should be parkland. I'd be happy either way and likely frequent the park if built, but this area is one of the best served downtown in terms of parks. Moss Park, St. James Park, the park at the southside of the Church in question, and the TMU Community Park (which is admittedly rarely used by the public due to its enclosed nature) are all within two minutes walking distance of this site.
1700340521945.png

Thread has been quiet for some time so I don't know if views have changed, but just interested to hear reasons this site should be parkland. I'd be happy either way and likely frequent the park if built, but this area is one of the best served downtown in terms of parks. Moss Park, St. James Park, the park at the southside of the Church in question, and the TMU Community Park (which is admittedly rarely used by the public due to its enclosed nature) are all within two minutes walking distance of this site.
View attachment 521176
The justification for a park here would be on urbanistic grounds, not on whether the area is deficient in parkland. It would be framed by two of the most historic churches in the city (though one wishes the rear of the Metropolitan had been rebuilt according to the original design after its disastrous fire in 1929) as well as the street wall of buildings on the east side of Church. It also was originally landscaped open space and one gets a sense in the old photos of how appealing the greening of the space could be. Finally, the value of the land would be determined by what could be built there. If the flight path has "down-zoned" the site to a mid-rise, then that is its value. With the depression in land prices, the timing would be perfect now, assuming the Church wants to sell at all.

Goad Atlas 1913:
00010.jpg

1900's:
metrochurch.png

metropolitan church.png

f1568_it0464.jpg

1920's:

f1244_it2410.jpg

The justification for a park here would be on urbanistic grounds, not on whether the area is deficient in parkland. It would be framed by two of the most historic churches in the city (though one wishes the rear of the Metropolitan had been rebuilt according to the original design after its disastrous fire in 1929) as well as the street wall of buildings on the east side of Church. It also was originally landscaped open space and one gets a sense in the old photos of how appealing the greening of the space could be. Finally, the value of the land would be determined by what could be built there. If the flight path has "down-zoned" the site to a mid-rise, then that is its value. With the depression in land prices, the timing would be perfect now, assuming the Church wants to sell at all.

Goad Atlas 1913:
View attachment 522373

1900's:
View attachment 522374

View attachment 522375

View attachment 522377

1920's:

View attachment 522376
Ahh I see now, yes that would be quite nice to have some beautiful public church grounds on Church Street

Back