Toronto The Florian | ?m | 25s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Hariri Pontarini

One of my favourite projects. Nice to see the underside of the balconies being painted.

florian-15-09-2011.jpg

florian-15-09-2011-2.jpg

florian-15-09-2011-3.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm in love...
(ok, obviously not really)

But this is the best 20 story-ish (200 ft range) building that has gone up in this boom, imo.

October 11 2011 update

The Tower
IMG_1198.jpg

The Base
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg

Architecturally, the Florian isn't really that special or different than a bulk of the condos we've witnessed in the latest boom. However, what really shines is the attention to detail here; the pleasantly contrasting podium materials, the gentle curve following the street, the mullion and spandrel free glazing. These are details that, if adopted by more Toronto developers, really make a difference in the end result of a building.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is that while we don't need to push envelopes with every building, some more care with the finishing details can really make a positive impact in the latest condo boom. Hell, I bet even the Pinnacle buildings would be that much more tolerable with clutter-free window wall glass, as opposed to the current sloppy mess of precast and spandrel. Hopefully more developers take notice and start focusing on the little details.

Architecturally, the Florian isn't really that special or different than a bulk of the condos we've witnessed in the latest boom. However, what really shines is the attention to detail here; the pleasantly contrasting podium materials, the gentle curve following the street, the mullion and spandrel free glazing. These are details that, if adopted by more Toronto developers, really make a difference in the end result of a building.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is that while we don't need to push envelopes with every building, some more care with the finishing details can really make a positive impact in the latest condo boom. Hell, I bet even the Pinnacle buildings would be that much more tolerable with clutter-free window wall glass, as opposed to the current sloppy mess of precast and spandrel. Hopefully more developers take notice and start focusing on the little details.

the contrasing podium materials are a key element in my opinion. your writeup makes a lot of sense egotrippin. though i do feel that the "critics" on these pages are overly harsh with their criticisms. but i'm new so still navigating around.

Or they could just hire aA to do it for them.

Or they could just hire aA to do it for them.

Yes.
That is, if you want a project to be completely devoid of creative massing, textured surfaces, curves & distinctive colors.

Sure ICE has some nice curves. But they just as quickly forgot about the entire concept. And a few small barely noticeable colored strips here and there hardly quality, see Scotia Plaza or the building in this thread for the real deal.

Last edited:
It may not be significant enough to you but, aA was the first to use coloured spandrel and add visual interest through balcony placement. Their attention to detail is exceptional considering how many others cheat by offering up spandrel glass towers; a lazy compromise in matching up the interior space with the exterior deisgn. I'd hate to see this city without their input.

Back