Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I remember looking at artists drawings of a very attractive walkout courtyard area in the back. Looking at Skyjack's great pictures there hardly appears room for that. In fact, it has the appearance of a narrow bricked in alleyway. A major cheapening possibly?.. Or hopefully it's just a perspective thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I remember looking at artists drawings of a very attractive walkout courtyard area in the back. Looking at Skyjack's great pictures there hardly appears room for that. In fact, it has the appearance of a narrow bricked in alleyway. A major cheapening possibly?.. Or hopefully it's just a perspective thing.
The original plan was for there to be a pedestrian walkway going from Church Street to join Scott Lane and thus reach to Scott Street. When the owners of the buildings on The Esplanade dropped out of this initial proposal the walkway was impossble but I think Berczy still has the easterly part of it so that, one day, the original link could happen.

Here you go

Attachments

• 961_834.jpg
    961_834.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 352
The original plan was for there to be a pedestrian walkway going from Church Street to join Scott Lane and thus reach to Scott Street. When the owners of the buildings on The Esplanade dropped out of this initial proposal the walkway was impossble but I think Berczy still has the easterly part of it so that, one day, the original link could happen.

That's sad to hear because that would have been a perfect place for a retail/restaurant walkway, like they have in Melbourne. Toronto could use a few of those animated, intimate pubic areas.

That's sad to hear because that would have been a perfect place for a retail/restaurant walkway, like they have in Melbourne. Toronto could use a few of those animated, intimate pubic areas.

Why would you like a walkway on the Scott Lane when that is the back of all the bars,restaurants and buildings that are on The Esplanade? and the smell is horrible (garbage/kitchens). I would not like to have a walk over there

Because I love those small, creative, intimate public spaces, especially when they are lined with retail, cafes and art. A solution can always be worked out to deal with smells by keeping the cafes on the north end. There are always creative solutions to deal with things like that. It's the atmosphere that those great intimate spaces create, that Toronto is lacking. We have a few successful examples of it in Yorkville but not much else. It's time for Toronto to look for new ways to create great public spaces, especially the smaller spaces between condos. Melbourne proved how well these can work. Toronto is missing a great opportunity and we need change that.

Yes, too bad. There is a 'plan" to create a decent lanway along Farquhars Lane (The Esplanade to Front just west of Church) and there are undoubtedly other possible candates. (Maybe we need a Laneways thread?)

I think the city should look for these opportunities between all new condo towers. Why not take advantage of underused spaces between towers and put them to good public use? They would even be easy to enclose during the cold winter months. It's perfect for Toronto and I can't see why we wouldn't at least explore the possibilities.

Last edited:
I think the city should look for these opportunities between all new condo towers. Why not take advantage of underused spaces between towers and put them to good public use? They would even be easy to enclose during the cold winter months. It's perfect for Toronto and I can't see why we wouldn't at least explore the possibilities.
As noted a few post back, there are 'plans' for improving Farquhars Lane - this came up in the recommendations from the Community Improvement plan for St Larence.

Project 10: Farquars Lane
Farquars Lane runs north-south between Front Street East and The Esplanade, serving the rears of buildings that front onto the east side of Church Street. This lane provides an opportunity to contribute to the fine grain of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood’s pedestrian realm. Farquars Lane could be refurbished to provide a comfortable pedestrian environment.
Adjacent property owners may take advantage of the opportunity to open retail frontages onto the lane. A precedent from outside the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood is the lane improvement made to St. Nicholas Street west of Yonge Street between Wellesley Street West and St. Joseph Street in 2005. The re-design of St. Nicholas Street’s pavement creates a single space shared by pedestrians and vehicles, but indicates where pedestrians may step when a vehicle uses the lane.
This Public Realm Strategy proposes to:
Implement streetscape improvements to Farquars Lane to create a comfortable and pleasant pedestrian environment, particularly including decorative pavement and pedestrian-scale lighting; and
Maintain the lane as a space shared by pedestrians and service vehicles.
The detailed design process for improvements to Farquars Lane will need to consider a number of technical matters:
Access to the loading area at the rear of 71 Front Street East;
Access to the entrance of underground parking for 71 Front Street East;
Access to the parking lot located at 94 The Esplanade; and
Changing all or a portion of Farquars Lane to one-way operation.
As noted above, design of the laneway improvements should also consider opportunities for owners of adjacent buildings to create retail entrances and/or frontage on the lane.

Project 11: Scott Lane
Scott Lane extends from Scott Street eastward toward Church Street. The lane is a dead end, reaching to the rears of properties at 56 The Esplanade and 49 Front Street East.
The lane serves these properties, as well as other properties on the north side of The Esplanade and the south side of Front Street East.
The lane offers an opportunity to expand the pedestrian realm in the neighbourhood by becoming a space that is shared by service vehicles and pedestrians. Recent developments approved on the block have been designed to accommodate this future possibility. The retail floor space of 40 The Esplanade extends to the rear of the building and in future could be opened up to the lane. The vehicle access to the development approved at 70 The Esplanade and 6-16 Church Street provides for future public pedestrian access in the event that the lane is extended to the property.
This Public Realm Strategy proposes:
Streetscape improvements to the lane to create a comfortable pedestrian environment that can be shared by service vehicles.
Encouraging future development applications abutting the lane to plan for retail spaces to front the laneway.
Protecting for future extension and improvements to the lane as adjacent properties undergo additional development.

I took this last Friday but since the crane came off the building it looks the same to me. I have been watching for roofers of window guys or anything different but I'm not seeing it. I have a picture of a guy doing something really stupid so I can't post it. I'm watchin...

IMG_6752.jpg

Back