Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

You really must be kidding right? Have you ever travelled to other cities and seen a well designed grand boulevard? NYC perhaps? Hell, even our own University Avenue? If they ripped down the Gardiner, you could have a truly beautiful lifeline running down there instead. Your post just makes me sad since I know there are others out there who share your opinion.

Sorry to be off-topic, but Hawc isn't saying that the area under the Gardiner couldn't be improved, he (or she) is simply saying that the train tracks are worse to pass under than the Gardiner, to which I agree. At least there is natural light and open air. The train tracks present a much wider, impassable rift in our downtown than the Gardiner does, especially with the recent developments practically burying it.

How is walking under a bridge a barrier? I find the Gardiner and Lakeshore much more of a barrier, than walking under a bridge. Try crossing Lakeshore on Spadina or Jarvis and see how much worse it is at the Gardiner. Walking down to that Loblaws is a very unpleasant experience and it's not because of the train underpass.

IMG_5936.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5936.jpg
    IMG_5936.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 2,194
Is that iron latticework frame-thingy going to be covered eventually? I actually find it really cool exposed like that

It's there to support the cable-mast system for the lobby's huge windows, and for the spandrel panels above (which look like they will be glass in the renderings). You can see what's planned in several images in the dataBase file.

Is that iron latticework frame-thingy going to be covered eventually? I actually find it really cool exposed like that

Covered by the looks of things, there are already mounting brackets for glass-panels attached to it.

The render in the lower left corner of the photo above gives some idea of the final look.

Last edited:
I think you're stretching the word "handsome" a little too far here! I just see murky green window-wall, grey mullions, and a bizarre hospital-green afterthought on the roof of each tower. Probably my least favourite of all the towers in the area.

I'm very pleased to see it getting blocked from the south.

I think you're stretching the word "handsome" a little too far here! I just see murky green window-wall, grey mullions, and a bizarre hospital-green afterthought on the roof of each tower. Probably my least favourite of all the towers in the area.

I'm very pleased to see it getting blocked from the south.

Sure but the podium is the nice part that is blocked out, I think that was the point.

Back